dog owners/walkers in dulwich - doggy poo

to all those irresponsible dog owners........

i stepped outside this afternoon to be greeted by something quite disgusting!

funny enough theres a poo bin just across the road!

why don't you dog owners clean up after your pets?

im sure majority of you do but theres still that minority who dont!

it is disgusting & i can assure you if i see anyone not clearing their pets mess up I WILL SAY SOMETHING!

i don't live on a farm nor a zoo!

am with sweetgirl on this - running in dulwich park, frequently see people strolling around with the dog 10-20yds behind them taking a dump, owner no intention of stopping to clear up. And the park is full of poo-bins.

Rate of incidence seems to be related to size of dog - man with alsatian always stops, lunching-lady types with those yappy little things that look like the head of a mop never stop.

Found it particularly hard to bite my tongue when I saw a family settling down to a picnic on a brighter day, then need to move due to the poop, while their own dog squatted down next to the bushes just a few yards away. No act from any of the group to clean up.

I assume these nasty mingers are the exception rather than the rule, or we'd be up to our knees in it the entire time, but it's still not pleasant. We get a fair bit outside our front door, as we live on a crappy corner that appears to be a public stop-and-gossip spot, which allows plenty of time for dogs to unload.

What is the ettiquette on this - silence or challenge?

EDF dog owners, a genuine question. Is it ok to say to the owner of a fouling dog "excuse me, your dog has just crapped next to the playground"?

*transparent attempt to get the parents on side ;-)*

Or, as Mayor Boris recommends, should I not challenge anyone on anything ever for fear of being stabbed?

bignumber5 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

EDF dog owners, a genuine question. Is it ok to

> say to the owner of a fouling dog "excuse me, your

> dog has just crapped next to the playground"?

> *transparent attempt to get the parents on side

> ;-)*

> Or, as Mayor Boris recommends, should I not

> challenge anyone on anything ever for fear of

> being stabbed?

Yes it's fine to tell a dog owner that their dog has crapped. It may just be a case of the owner being distracted (Not excusing it!). If someone told me mine had crapped, I'd appreciate it more than a fine from a lurking warden. My usual approach to non-pooper-scoopers is to offer them a bag to pick up with (fortunately most of my pockets are stuffed with poobags lol). Obviously if the dog owner gets aggressive, you need to assess the situation and walk away if your safety is at risk. If you know who the person is but are nervous about approaching them, report it to the council to deal with. :)

I confronted two teenage girls with a staffie/pit type of dog in the park recently by asking them if they would like a plastic bag to clear their dog's mess up. It had just left a steaming turd not far from where we were picnicing with assorted kids. They took it and cleared up, who knows, maybe they'll think about it next time.

Just returned from playing football in Goose Green(the Green)My son stood in a big pile of dog poo and now it is stuck to the bottom of his trainer. On the way home whilst walking down the path next to the nice fence he was lucky enough to stand in another pile this time the runny variety!!!At least most dog owners are responsible!!!I'm afraid that argument doesn't stack up when you are a victim of dog poo.Hello council,dogs cannot share the same area!!

Victor - if you sacrificed everyone's liberty because of a minority of offenders, there'd be no football matches, no clubs, no alcohol... the list goes on.

All the dog owners I know would never dream of letting their dog foul without removing it.

James is correct tho' Ted Max - you can't remove a whole activity/passtime/whatever just because some (possibly plenty) of participants are prats about it

What I don't get about this country is how quick it is to make laws, but rarely bothers to enforce them.

Then again, after the kerfuffle on here about the ?60 fine for someone dropping litter, people seem "cool" with that

It's coz our modern mutts are mainly fed on tinned rubbish or dried, extruded rubbish. Formerly dogs lived on raw, meat bones and scraps. The bones made their dumps much smaller and harder and white.

Bet in Jamaica most dogs still eat the old fashioned way. So, there you go, blame huge, mucky, 21st century dog turds on huge, greedy, pet food manufacturers and their unwitting customers.