Responsibilty for hedge trimming.

jrussel

If my neighbour's hedge is getting out of control and hanging messily and extensively into the way of the public footpath, whose responsibility is it to trim it back? Is it my neighbour's duty, or is it the duty of the council to maintain a safe footway?

I am starting to get a little fed up with it. Not only does it inconvenience pedestrians but it makes the vicinity of my front garden look unkempt and messy.

If it is overhanging the pavement and a danger to passer's by i.e. prickly leaves that could scratch a blind person's face. You can contact the council who will inspect and request owner/tenant to cut back. if they do not do this in a reasonable time,council will cutback and charge owner/tenant.

Southwark used to have cards at the Library you could fill in and post off. I think it was the environment department -so long ago since I last did this.

jrussel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If my neighbour's hedge is getting out of control

> and hanging messily and extensively into the way

> of the public footpath, whose responsibility is it

> to trim it back? Is it my neighbour's duty, or is

> it the duty of the council to maintain a safe

> footway?

I'm not sure whose legal responsibility it is, but I called Southwark Council environmental line in a similar situation and they came and cut the hedge/overhanging tree back (from the pavement) without any questions.

I've noticed myself having to do a half arsed limbo on more than one occasion on my daily flounce down to Lordship Lane from Forest Hill Road and given my girth this isnt as effortless as it once was. I think we should tar and feather these selfish hobbledyhoys sooner rather than later...no second chances.;-)

Strangely enought I did a bit of Guerilla cutting in a street just last week - thorny branches were so overgrown, people were having to walk on the road to get past incl. kids going to school - some industial strength branch loppers and the job was done in a few mintes. I did ensure howeve that said branches were chucked back over fence, so as not to provoke accusations of theft - someone even thanked me for it as they walked past

I urge all ED residents to do the same.