> Hi

>

> Went into HSBC today to withdraw funds with my new

> card and the bank teller told me not to use the

> machines outside as they had been "compromised" on

> several occasions...

>

> xo, otto

Am I being naive or should the HSBC staff not be monitoring their machines, at least during the day when they are open? If they are not then they should have an ATM machine inside! I have a First Direct account and they told me to always use an HSBC ATM as you get preferential treatment in case there is a shortage of funds. I had my card cloned a few weeks back and still don't know where it happened. Have there been any problems with the Co-op machine on Forest Hill Road, or any of the other ones on LL?

Clinker Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi Camberwell Oz,

>

> Which bank has the texting service? I like the

> sound of that, Do you have to pay to get the

> service?

>

> Thanks! :)

I use First Direct's texting service. They send me one every day with the last 5 or 6 transactions. Plus they are open 365 days a year, 24 hours a day and you can speak to a real person in this country, either in Glasgow or Leeds.

First Direct are absolutely brilliant, I've been with them for ages - they just make every aspect of banking so easy, and all their staff actually seem to know what they're doing and are really friendly :)

Edited to say: But these days I mainly use First Direct internet banking because it's so convenient, unless there's some reason I have to speak to a human being :))

Yes Rockets its amazing how much evidence is needed before anything happens, but if you drop a cigar butt it can cost you 80 quid.

They seem far too busy 'harvesting' motorists, than to stop any fraud.

Are the police fit for purpose(?)

That's a fair silly comparison SteveT if you don't mind me saying - litter is EVERYWHERE and despite the fines you mention it still hasn't stemmed the tide much

Before we suggest how rubbish the police are, how best do you think something like this should be tackled? Practically and with due thought to budgets/priorities/etc. I'm not saying it can't be done... just isn't as easy as seeing someone chuck a cigar butt.

We are with Lloyds. We have a Gold Card which is ?11 a month from memory but that includes RAC cover, phone insurance, text messages and other things.

We have used all the ones I have mentioned above (our car breaks down a lot... and I lose so many phones) so it works out ok for us.

Hi,

Just to clear the matter up about the police. They have not put ATM's at Banks! The duty of care is with the provider. Put a facility in for your customer and make sure its fool proof. If you have not installed adequate and foolproof equipment - don't go to the police and whinge. Its your problem (the banks) not the police's fault.

Its a pity that a lot of police time is wasted when banks rip you off anyway, and then moan about getting ripped off themselves.

Got to go the tart looks cooked.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Did I hear correctly somewhere that the banks insure themselves against the fraud and thus are not too keen to deal with the problem as they are the insurers and the insured. It seems to be such a huge problem that all the banks seem incapable of countering. It was not that long ago that I got a card reader from Barclays that I had to use everytime i logged onto internet banking which all seems a little pointless when no-one ever needs to get online and abuse my account they just ask a friendly petrol station attendant to take a webcam pic of both sides of my card and then use it in some country far far away and will never have their collar felt! And the irony is that now the card is blocked I cannot go online to check to make sure no-one has been buying things in that country far far away!

I'm really not liking this news about the HSBC ATM.

I called HSBC recently on a totally different matter, only to be told my card had been cloned. I was given 2 options, 1) change pin and keep card, 2) Cancel card and have another re-issued.

Ideally I would have liked to have taken option 2, but as I was going on holiday I went with option 1. I ended up changing my pin at the HSBC ATM.

It's like a vicious circle. Better have a new one issued, the black ink was rubbing off the numbers anyway.

They got me as well... and the ONLY place I have used my debit card recently was Sainsbury's on Dog Kennel Hill - at the checkout (not the ATM machine). HSBC blocked the card and called me, after an attempted withdrawal from India about 10 hours after my trip to the supermarket. Full marks for HSBC for acting speedily. The question is... is it now safe to use your card anywhere?

Aussie, that's crazy! Was Sainsbury's genuinely the only place you'd ever used it? Never used an ATM?

I can't believe we've got a cloning issue at Sainsbury, so it would suggest they got your data from somewhere really quite extraordinary - the bank?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> I'm going to regret saying this - and I'm

> touching wood as I do - but am I the only one to

> have not been cloned yet?

>

> I've used all of the local cashpoints and used the

> card in most bars and restuarants, + SMBS, Val's

> grocers etc

XXXXXXX

Same here, and I'm touching wood as I type :))

After I was so sanctimonious on a thread a while back, saying you only got your purse nicked if you weren't careful, erm, I had my purse AND mobile nicked on a crowded 37 bus shortly afterwards, because I was using a backpack and had put them in an outside zip pocket after using my mobile to text on the bus and putting my Oyster card back in my purse (so both where someone coud see where they were) - stupid me.

But there's a limit to how careful you can be with a debit card, otherwise what's the point of having one? I don't like carrying around masses of cash :-S

Thanks for your comments. This kind of fraudulent activity really stresses me out!

I haven't used my HSBC debit card for months and months... and I purposefully avoided the ATM at Sainsbury because of all the stuff I have read here (and I appreciate that!). I do most transactions on-line, and funds for daily use / entertainment / shopping etc come from another (non HSBC) account, which I have had no problems with (touch wood). I just didn't have that card with me when I went to Sainsbury on Saturday, so I am pointing the finger at them!

Just take care everyone, and with the high amount of fraudulent activity thats happening when you use a debit / credit card in ED, think before you use it!

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> Another thing to do is have a second card with a

> very low limit - and use only that for day to day

> transactions - so even if it gets skimmed they

> can't do too much damage

xxxxxx

But the bank will repay you the money, won't they?

It's all the hassle that's the annoying thing, and a low limit card wouldn't get over that if it was cloned.

just had my card cloned too (so did my girlfriend), bit of an arse. Only mention it as I don't use the garage, and it can't have been a cash machine (card's a bit long in the tooth and stopped working in them), but all my recent transactions have been on ll. Mostly in the bars. well, exclusively in the bars (bar the supermarket).