Card cloning warning

• Administrator

Sorry to take this off topic but I will be brief.

In a previous thread the user Shu.Kurimu.Sensei posted a message about how his partner was racially offended, NatashD replied in a manner that was also offensive, complaints were received and so she was warned about her behaviour, again. She had previously done this before on a thread where someone was racially offended. And now, in this instance NatashaD has posted an antagonistic and provocative message referring to the previous racial offence, complaints have been received and I have decided to act. NatashaD's account has now been deactivated, again. She was previously Spangles30 who was banned for similar behaviour. I do not want people who are continually abusive and deliberately antagonistic on the forum, people are of course entitled to express their opinion but not when it is aimed at getting a rise and offending others. Not in this house, especially after having been warned. If anyone has any questions or comments please PM me directly.

Anyway, let us get back on topic of card cloning in East Dulwich...

Hi Admin

Hi Admin

I understand why you've banned ND but I do think she had a valid point. Shu's comment about 'dodgy looking staff' was as offensive as the original use of 'sushi' and yet ND was the only one to challenge him - albeit in a rather ill-advised way.

Perhaps her post should be removed and she be given another chance?

I have been offended by Shu in the past - some of his early posts were extremely anti-religious. However, it's generally not in my nature to bother responding. We all have to rub along and ignore some things that are offensive or stupid and just make a mental note not to bother with that poster again and mark them down as ignorant and/or hypocritcal.

Shu seems to think that only his sensibilities count - in a community(forum), everyone's does.

regards

Janet

hadn't read this thread until I got a call from NatWest fraud department a few days ago. They asked if I was in Ghana, whch I wasn't, then revealed someone had tried to use my card in Ghana. Thankfully (or not) I didn't have too much money in there and they were declined, but NatWest blocked the card straight away and then I got my call. they had also tried to spend ?1 to buy a pizza somewhere in London and managed that. So now my card is being replaced and I'll my ?1 back.

I've had my card cloned before sometime last year and that's why I don't use the cashpoint outside NatWest in Peckham anymore, I prefer to queue inside. When I mentioned it to the teller at the time, he was pretty aware of it and confirmed that they had had this done many times every day that week and recently.

Back to the ED bit, I have used that card in Morrisons recently and also the Tesco on East Dulwich Road, but I always shield my digits with my other digits, as one person suggested. Actually, going back to the previous NatWest incident, I remember a young man standing outside the cashpoint with something in his hand, which I assumed to be a mobile phone, but I became a bit suspicious when he kept ushering people to go before him, as though he was just waiting for someone. He probably had one of those readers that can record the tones; I also mentioned this to the bank at the time and informed them that I would not use the cashpoint again.

Now... just have to wait for my new card to arrive and I hope I don't go overdrawn waiting.

I was called by Lloyds TSB this morning and told that someone in New York had tried to use my card several times at ATMs, I have most recently been in Sainsbury's and Green & Blue. I have not been to the US, and never to New York, for several years.

Amelie said - "I have not been to the US, and never to New York, for several years."

Buy Mastercard with pin No. from friend.

Book ticket to NY and hotel on your own card.

Withdraw $500 from six cashpoints.

You get free trip to NY and friend is reimbursed by bank.

Priceless

This morning daughter telephoned re: her account and was told she had no money in it, because money has been taken out for a third time! Call Centre in India utterly useless, Fraud Department here a bit more understanding but how did they take out money from an ATM in Canada, when her card had (allegedly) been blocked the first time round? (td)

Ms T Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> This morning daughter telephoned re: her account

> and was told she had no money in it, because money

> has been taken out for a third time! Call Centre

> in India utterly useless, Fraud Department here a

> bit more understanding but how did they take out

> money from an ATM in Canada, when her card had

> (allegedly) been blocked the first time round?

> (td)

Which bank is it? They sound frighteningly useless. Sounds like your daughter needs to change her bank as soon as she gets her money back!!!! I would let the Banking Ombudsman know about this.

She needs to go into the East Dulwich branch (if that is where her account is) and demand to see someone. Do they still have managers? Be polite at first but if they fob her off then she should make a fuss in front of other customers. She also needs to make a note of her conversations with people and write down their names etc.

smile bank only lets you take money out abroad once you've told them so. It has been a faff in the past, when I didn't know the policy (which the bank says is made known to its customers) but it helps me not get ripped off.

I was in the petrol station on East Dulwich Road and their chip and pin machine has gone to be replaced by a note saying they have been withdrawn. I suspect everyone is having a good poke around the machines just to make sure none of their staff have fitted something illegal into them. Kind of makes you laugh that the whole industry, despite all of the millions invested in security has potentially been undone by staff who use the machines in store - so I ask the question, does that make the store potentially liable for the loses rather than the banks? Just a thought.

I definitely think it is the retailers etc that are liable. The banks and building societies have done their bit, and it seems, for the most part, that they are doing a good job of spotting and preventing this fraud. The retailers need to up their security to stop this sort of thing happening in their stores. I'd be pretty embarrassed if it was me!

My bank thinks our cards were defrauded at an ATM, although there was an article on TV this morning about rogue checkout operators using stolen and doctored chip & pin handsets. So much for that breakthrough security measure.

scotslass Wrote:

> Just been done again - this time for ?800.00 cash

> withdrawls. I used the HSBC in LL last Thursday

> morning and that evening 2 withdrawls in Streatham

> and the next day ?600 at the Mayday Hospital in

> Croydon.

Probably the same crew that stung me for ?300 from two ATM's in Norbury last week.

There was something about this on Radio 4 a few days ago. Chip and Pin IS working, but only in countries where it has been introduced. So, the fraudsters have to transfer magnetic strip and pin details to countries where chips are still not used and use these to gain access to your money. It looks like the big hold-out is the USA (surprise) as their banking systems arent very integrated and rolling out chip technology across the whole country would be complicated and expensive.

As the rest of the world catch up with chip and pin, the USA will be the last option for the fraudsters.

LDo Wrote:

> Me too. Used my debit card in Somerfield on Friday

> am and two withdrawals in India Friday pm and

> Saturday. When I contacted Abbey they had flagged

> them as suspicious but not bothered to bring it to

> my attention. Only noticed when checking my

> account online today.

Same here, Checked my account online and found 3 transactions made in India. Called Abbey and was told that there had been lots of attempts starting on 9th August (account flagged and no phone call from Abbey) they finally got a total of ?210 out 12th August. I have made a complaint to Abbey as if they had called me on the 9th, my account wouldn`t now be ?200 lighter :(Second time for me this month, Other debit card used earlier this week) I don` want a third one thank you! Has it only been Debit cards affected as I use my credit card mainly and hope that won`t be next.

Mscrawthew Wrote:

> LDo Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Me too. Used my debit card in Somerfield on

> Friday

> > am and two withdrawals in India Friday pm and

> > Saturday. When I contacted Abbey they had

> flagged

> > them as suspicious but not bothered to bring it

> to

> > my attention. Only noticed when checking my

> > account online today.

>

>

> Same here, Checked my account online and found 3

> transactions made in India. Called Abbey and was

> told that there had been lots of attempts starting

> on 9th August (account flagged and no phone call

> from Abbey) they finally got a total of ?210 out

> 12th August. I have made a complaint to Abbey as

> if they had called me on the 9th, my account

> wouldn`t now be ?200 lighter :(Second time for me

> this month, Other debit card used earlier this

> week) I don` want a third one thank you! Has it

> only been Debit cards affected as I use my credit

> card mainly and hope that won`t be next.

No it was my credit card!