Card cloning warning

YUP! just had my bank account cleaned out from somewhere abroad .. don't know where yet... was told by the bank people that its useless to speculate who did it! they say there is a backlog on the fraud investigation of FOUR WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!...

common thread to here I usually get cash mostly from the HSBC machines in Lordship Lane but I have also used Barclays ATM but I also use Somerfield a lot and Sainsbury's most other shops in ED I use I have known the people for quite some time...the only other place was Vale Chemists by the Goose green round-about...

A week ago my friend had someone try to take out money from India after visiting a rather lovely Indian restuarant on LL. The waitress took her card away and was away for a while, then really hovered over her while she put her pin in. Luckily the bank rejected it.

Did anyone notice the showdown between the Assistant (i think) Manageress of unmentioned supermarket and a customer who has asked her if she were aware (manageress) of the card cloning epidemic in ED an how the customer has last used her card in the unmentioned supermarket and then money had been taken out of her account. The manageress then replied im sick of this we have done nothing, its not us!!! mmm

I recieved a phone call on Saturday from my bank stating over ?300 was withdrawn from my account in Canada and that they had blocked my card due to this.

On the Monday i went to Barclays to get a statement which i needed to send to the fraud department, to my surprise another lady at the bank had the same amount of money withdrawn on the same day also in Canada.

I rung Barclays on the Wednesday to enquire how much money they left me in my account, i was told despite my account being blocked they mananged to withdraw another ?600 on the Tuesday and the Wednesday. Which meant they went into my overdraft and left me with nothing. (The overdraft which on the advice of Barclays i needed to increase until my money was refunded).

I was told that Barclays could not offer a refund there and then and that i would have to complete the forms and wait 10 days before i would recieve my refund. After 30 mintutes of speaking to the most unhelpful person you can imagine who kept repeating the same thing about forms, i spoke to a very helpful lady on the fraud team who refunded me some of the money until i completed the forms and they had receievd them.

The last places i used my card was Somerfield and the HSBC ATM on Lordship Lane.

Had a block put on my card last week and sure enough following a call to the bank discovered it has been cloned - the happy spender has been having a good time in America, Canada and Lithuania in the past week - I've never used that card in the ATM in Lordship Lane - it's purely for East Dulwich Sainsbury's / Sommerfield weekly food buying trips where I do chip and pin...so...what suspicious signs am I supposed to be looking out for in a supermarket?

JenSpen Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I knew it, it is *that* supermarket! Whatever

> anyone else says, I'm not using my card in there

> anymore...

xxxxx

I don't think anyone on here would suggest you use your card in there :))

I'm kinda surprised certain establishments continue to have any customers left... Or at least any customers that continue to pay with plastic.

[NB I believe Somerfields has a policy now of not accepting personal cheques -I seem to recall a notice pinned inside the store sometime last year.]

Did we have as much fraud when we used our cards with the old paper type machine - you know where they put it on a machine and pulled the lever over it - can not explain it clearer, but hopefully you will recall those hand held machines where the card was put in the centre and copied onto carbonised paper.

I am in 2 minds about cheques - my 84 year old mum needed to buy a new fridge freezer and wanted to pay by cheque at Comets and was quite upset when they told her it had to be by credit card or bank card only. She had some cash on her but nowhere near the ?165 required. She has never had a PIN for her cheque guarantee card. I ended up paying for the fridge and Mum gave me a cheque. Since she needs a wheelchair to get around, family members are generally around to help out. I think shops need to have some consideration for older people who have difficulty remembering PINs. Its bad enough for me plus all the security numbers we have to use to get in and out buildings at work, to access our data, to record leave etc.

Can anyone give us tips on how to avoid this cloning? Is it simply a case of keeping our Pins Covered or poking the eyes out of supermarket and petrol station staff when we enter our numbers?

I deliberately waved my card under a petrol attendants nose in a local petrol station the other day and then paid in cash muttering something about thieving bastards! Did not go down well! :(

BARA Wrote:

>

> I am in 2 minds about cheques - my 84 year old mum

> needed to buy a new fridge freezer and wanted to

> pay by cheque at Comets and was quite upset when

> they told her it had to be by credit card or bank

> card only. She had some cash on her but nowhere

> near the ?165 required. She has never had a PIN

> for her cheque guarantee card. I ended up paying

> for the fridge and Mum gave me a cheque. Since she

> needs a wheelchair to get around, family members

> are generally around to help out. I think shops

> need to have some consideration for older people

> who have difficulty remembering PINs. Its bad

> enough for me plus all the security numbers we

> have to use to get in and out buildings at work,

> to access our data, to record leave etc.

xxxxxx

My stepmother, in her eighties, could never remember her pin and did not know that you could change it to an easy-to-remember one.

Therefore she carried a slip of paper with it on in her purse (we did not know this).

Her purse was stolen, they took out ?400 before the card was stopped. The bank would not refund the money (fair enough) because the pin number was with the card.

It's hard for older people - my memory is bad enough! - but if you can't remember a pin, there are ways to disguise it and still carry it so it's not obviously a pin :-S

That's true in some cases, Sue.

But some older people just don't want to try. "I'm old! I can't be bovvered with all this!"

My feeling is that if you're capable of memorising what time every episode of Eastenders, Coronation Street and Hollyoaks are on, you ought to be able to manage a four digit number without too many problems.

*Bob* Wrote:

> That's true in some cases, Sue.

>

> But some older people just don't want to try. "I'm

> old! I can't be bovvered with all this!"

>

> My feeling is that if you're capable of memorising

> what time every episode of Eastenders, Coronation

> Street and Hollyoaks are on, you ought to be able

> to manage a four digit number without too many

> problems.

xxxxxx

I think that's rather unfair :-S

Can you remember all your pin numbers every time?

And rather sweeping statement about television watching, too :-S

*Bob* Wrote:

> That's true in some cases, Sue.

>

> But some older people just don't want to try. "I'm

> old! I can't be bovvered with all this!"

>

> My feeling is that if you're capable of memorising

> what time every episode of Eastenders, Coronation

> Street and Hollyoaks are on, you ought to be able

> to manage a four digit number without too many

> problems.

*Bob*

You may care to revisit that statement when you're 80, 90 or older.

It is quite easy for older people to remember things that are repeated or reinforced every day for years. My gran has no difficulty remembering the start time of the after-lunch soaps, because they've started at that time for decades, and because she was fairly young (60s) when the pattern was new. But ask her to absorb any *new* thing *now* - such as the street my home was in for several years - and that's when the memory problems come through. And uncertainty, panic, fear, all set in, which doesn't help matters.

Older people tend to cover up for memory problems relating to recent information with all kinds of tricks e.g. reformulating your question rather than giving an answer, or giving a non-specific answer, or asking another question, or making a statement that doesn't answer your question.

Example: Q: "What was the weather like yesterday?" A: "Why do you want to know?" or A: "The same as the day before." or A: "I remember the summer of '45..."

You can't do that with a PIN.

Marvellous - I too have just joined the happy throng... cash withdrawal of ?100 at Lloyds TSB Norbury while I was at home doing the hoovering!

I had used THAT Supermarket in the morning too.

Hmph. Still waiting to hear from my bank if they will reimburse me.

jubamyung Wrote:

> Marvellous - I too have just joined the happy

> throng... cash withdrawal of ?100 at Lloyds TSB

> Norbury while I was at home doing the hoovering!

>

>

> I had used THAT Supermarket in the morning too.

>

> Hmph. Still waiting to hear from my bank if they

> will reimburse me.

Sorry to hear you were done too, but don't think it would have been from you using the supermarket today.

I asked Barclays on Lordship Lane if their ATM had been affected at all and they said no it definitely had not. They had heard of the issues with the HSBC machine on the opposite corner and the guy said that some Barclays' customers were affected having used that machine. I don't know how accurate all that is but the person telling me in Barclays seemed possibly to be the manager who was helping out on the counter. ie he seemed to be confident in what he was saying.

Eileen