Early hours marauders stealing Spare Tyres and Plants (Lounged)

Curmudgeon

around 4am this morning we think

am editing to say: people seem to think that 'more detail is needed'.. OK .. my neighbour disturbed someone around 4am trying to nick his spare tyre from his campervan. I smiled when he told me, 3 hours later drove away my Zafira to a rattling noise and found that some bugger had nicked my spare tyre (held in a cage under the car), Dell reckons ?100 to replace wheel and tyre. Someone has also nicked the fig trees from outside Heber School.

I have reported to police. I thought I'd do my civic duty and warn you lot too.

I'm not saying tyres and plants aren't being stolen... I'm not saying that. But this is yet another wearying thread on how "ohh life has all gone a bit shit has't it??"

The usual crap that surfaces when the economy takes a dip. Or just because enough people are on the forum who are into it. But I Don't Get It. Bad stuff happens to most of is regularly - if we bore people with all the details they (rightly) shun us. the reason this forum has attracted so many people is because of it's quirkiness and willingness to enjoy life's absurdities. Like the good friends we have....

the South London press is there for us if we want lurid shite (and even then it has us down over the Lambeth Country Fair debacle - heads will roll!!) - can we not be better than that???

You cannot use terms like 'pikeys' and 'gippos' without being pulled up for it. It is clearly offensive and racist.

However irritated one might be by alleged early morning pilfering, if anyone has any hard evidence then getting touch with the police would be a better way of dealing with it than casting casual slurs and encouraging racial sterotyping on a public forum.

wise words xone, wise words. Very probably true

But as I so often rail against people who blame "government" or "councils" for everything - surely the one thing I care about which is very much "of the people" is worth defending? If not... then maybe the problem is (gasp!!!) the people themselves and not any "outside" force!

If someone wanst to root through my bins, I dont have a problem with it.

As force of habit, I always leave old shoes etc on top of the green bin and invariably, they are gone by morning

If someone can use your unwanted shite, then good luck -obv. no thieving though

I am a bit of a skip rat myself

It's an open forum SM and the best thing to do if you're not keen on a thread is look at at and then treat it like a roundabout. Unless of course you consider yourself an arbiter on all that's EDF. Maybe you do.

Who says the reason this forum has attracted so many people is because of it's 'quirkiness' (a word that sends a cringe through me, frankly)? Is there not an element of absurdity in having your spare tyre nicked? Not that the forum is necessarily here for absurdity.

I don't really get the 'like the good friends we have' part of the post. People who think alike? People who agree with each other? People we're personally acquainted with?

You're entitled to an opinion, but I thought your post had a belittling element to it.

So your post and my response has served to keep this thread in business that little bit longer.

How quirky is that?

quirkiness personified Honaloochibie

I never speak as "an arbiter of EDF" - it's just somewhere I spend a lot of time and care about. I'm happy to admit belittling the original post however. For the reason I gave. As an "open forum" I believe that too is within the rules? Why pick on my post as beyond the pale?

With you on the quirkiness cringe - momentary lapse of taste. But when you say "who says..." - obviously I said. And I'm basing it on having been here relatively early. That fact conveys on me absolutely ZERO privilege or authority - nor would I want to claim any. I'm just saying. It was fun. Now it's less so. For the reasons given. Should people wish to disagree with me that's fine. As you were with the "my car got keyed" type threads ad infinitum....

some bugger nicked my spare tyre last night .. I drove away and the cage where the tyre is held dragged along the ground. I didn't realise it needed security chained and padlocked

excuse me for wanting to warn people

'be aware' means just that ... if your spare is outside the boot it can get nicked

edited to say: oh and Sean, I've never had a tyre nicked before so I'm certainly not weary about it .. in fact I'm going to be about ?100 worse off replacing it so I'd say my emotion was more feckin' narked

Comus Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You cannot use terms like 'pikeys' and 'gippos'

> without being pulled up for it. It is clearly

> offensive and racist.

>

> However irritated one might be by alleged early

> morning pilfering, if anyone has any hard evidence

> then getting touch with the police would be a

> better way of dealing with it than casting casual

> slurs and encouraging racial sterotyping on a

> public forum.

xxxxxx

Comus - thank you. Sometimes I feel like a lone voice.

Yes i do. Where i grew up everyone uses that word as a catch-all word to describe people who may indulge in these activities such as rummaging through bins etc. I don't mean to cause offense to anyone through use of the word!

but the title of this thread surely calls for a little more detail than that provided by the OP. otherwise it is that sort of scaremongering "householders beware" type post that adds to people's sense of everything going to the dogs without adding anything really constructive. for a start, where?, as Pierre asked, would be nice to know. And is this the first time in however long.

Curmudgeon - I'm not disputing your being "narked" at all - I would feel the same as you. But .. y'know... "be aware"???

Maybe I should have expressed more sympathy - and I wouldn't wish anything bad to happen to anyone - but

now that it's happened to you what practical steps can you or anyone take to stop it happening again?

Another headline from the papers - "petrol getting nicked from tanks" - yep - know about that one too

"if your house is empty - or even if you are in it! - people will try and rob it" - already knew that one

It could go on and on...but if this forum turns into a crime noticeboard... by all means enjoy it.