Cycle Safety

josephineB

I got knocked off my bike today going up Lordship Lane at about 8.10 am. Lovely, bright sunny morning and I was wearing a high vis jacket and had my back light on too. A car turned left into a side road and just knocked me off. I think i went up in the air as i was in the pavement and my bike was on the road. My work sent me to a and e but nothing was broken.

I just wanted to say to car drivers; Please do stop and please do pass over your details. I was shaking so much and felt so sick I wasn't thinking about that but I know car drivers always swop details. Also stick around, initially I was so shocked I felt no pain it was about an hour after that I realised I was hurt. Not tried to ride my bike but I've lost a reflector so I'm guessing the front was hit.

I hope you reported this to police. Hubby is a cyclist so I am very wary when I see other cyclists around. Unfortunately, there are still idiots not wearing reflective clothing and have really dim lights back and front.

There are also those who think they have to ignore traffic light and just go across when they feel like it.

did you get a description of the car i.e. colour, make, which road did they turn left into, chances are that this is a regular route for them and police may have an opportunity to catch them. Likely that their car may have been scratched by your bike.

Pugwash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> "idiots not wearing reflective clothing"

That language is really unhelpful. Accidents, like Josephine's, happen in daylight everyday. Those people in daylight accidents, they're "idiots" too? Running red lights is wrong, as is riding without lights but more often-than-not accidents between bikes and autos are caused by drivers not paying attention. Maybe rather than second hand-commentary try riding a bike yourself, then speak with experience, and skip calling people idiots.

JosehineB,

Thankfully no harm came to you.

However, Please can we have some facts about this incident. The reason I ask is the implication is it was the driver's fault.

You say it was a lovely bright morning, you has a hi-vis jacket and a back light on. Why do you say this? If it was lovely bright morning you didn't need this paraphernalia. Are you mentioning these things by way of excuse?

The driver turned left and Ono cked you off. I have no reason to disbelieve you but please explain what happened to sceptical drivers like myself.

To parody HenryB, who has a lot to say on the cycling threads, I'd like to know the driver's version of what happened here.

The turning into Kinsale road is a nightmare for cyclists, Twice I have been overtaken and cut up by cars speeding past and turning into Kinsale road from peckham rye as I pass it, one of those time I had to turn sharply into the road with the car to avoid being knocked off. Have passed a cyclist being treated by an ambulance in the road at this junction too, though do not know the circumstances of that accident.

If the driver in this case didn't stop, then thats outrageous, you couldn't miss knocking someone off their bike, you should check their ok regardless of fault, its the human thing to do at least. This sounds more like a hit and run ! Glad you were not seriously hurt.

As most cycle lanes are on the inside of cars, then I doubt if its illegal to undertake cars this way, especially in slow traffic. Checking wing mirrors does the trick I find when driving and turning into a junction, Especially if you notice a cycle lane beside you. We should all be looking out for each other when cyling or driving, sadly this isn't the case all the time from both sides.

(edited to replace Nigel road with Kinsale road, rubbish at road names me)

Hi, thanks for your comments. To be honest I'm not entirely sure how I was hit although I was going up a fairly steep hill so I doubt I was overtaking on the left. i remember the car turned left without indicating and I knew it was going to hit me so u guess they either overtook or were parallel with me. I often ride quite far out of the curb and hog the lane to avoid this situation or being doored but there was a lot of traffic on the road and a fair few trucks so I was on the left of the traffic rather then ahead.

I mentioned the high via because I was sure that if the driver had looked they would have seen me.

I think it's really important that cyclists are visible and wear helmets etc. The helmet had a dent on the back side so I think it helped my fall.

All cyclists are as vulnerable as pedestrians really. I'd love to see really good cycle networks. The more cyclists on the road the more likely we are to get a safer journey. I think Boris has got that bit right anyway.

Firstly, of course the driver should have stopped to see if you were ok and given details. It is illegal not to. Secondly wearing high vis clothes is very helpful. It is still staggering to see cars running into a cyclist and still claim not to have seen them. Silverfox's remarks about you making an excuse are offensive and ignorant. I have been knocked down myself wearing high vis by a car coming towards me and suddenly turning (his) right straight into me. I went over the bonnet. Drivers (of which I am one as well as a cyclist) need to be more vigilant of other road users.....yes, cyclist are other legitimate road users.

Do report it to police Josephine b, and I hope you are ok now.

ratty Wrote:

> Genuine question. Are cyclists allowed to overtake

> on the inside? This oft has caused me a problem!

Everything I've read says only if the traffic is stationary.

NEVER advised when traffic is moving - that's what kills -

other cycle news today is why I still won't cycle to work until

more segregation happens.

Sorry to hear about this Josephine. This absolutely does need reporting, regardless of whether you have the car/driver details - you would never know what medical complications might arise hours or days afterwards so an accident needs to be accounted for. If the time was noted there would be CCTV worth checking.

As an occasional driver I wouldn't dream of leaving the scene without at the very least checking with the cyclist. And as a regular cyclist, I would hope that the operator of a vehicle would have the common decency to ask about my well-being.

I read about the last fatality in Bow yesterday morning then cycled from HH to Wandsworth and back, and for the first time, felt very pleased to reach home again.

Josephine - I'm sorry to hear this and hope you are ok. It sounds like you were doing everything right, sometimes its just bad luck. I do hope you report it.

I've cycled to work and back in London for years. I agree Ruskin - I don't know if its the time of year (poorer visibility), seemingly higher incidence of accidents at the moment, or that I'm just more aware of all the "near misses" but I'm particularly twitchy about it at the moment. The endless roadworks around the area don't help either - long queues of traffic, and drivers dashing about without looking/road raging/illegally maneouvering. For the first time I caught the bus this morning instead of cycling :(

Glad you're okay josephineB

Silver Fox, what an idiotic comment.

Ratty, filtering is perfectly legal. But what's way more common is drivers cutting in and across to make left turns without looking, or judging the gap poorly, or just not really caring about knocking someone off. So maybe just, you know, look where you going.

Gabe Wrote:

> Ratty, filtering is perfectly legal.

Filtering, like any form of overtaking, if legal done SAFELY. But if there is an accident, then it is, logically, almost certainly your fault. The traffic code specifically mentions "approaching or at a road junction" as an unsafe place.

ratty Wrote:

> Genuine question. Are cyclists allowed to overtake

> on the inside? This oft has caused me a problem!

When I studied for my driving test I was taught that you may not overtake on the inside, other than if the other vehicle is turning right, or in slow-moving traffic. Is this still not the case?

@Josephine - I'm glad you're okay. If a motorist hits you, knocks you off your bike and then fails to stop - I'm pretty sure a criminal offence has been committed, so you should report that to the police

Loz Wrote:

> Gabe Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

Seems very confusing to me - especially the case law. Obviously it's logical that

a cyclist moves to the front - but how, and how carefully, and when is it 'safe' to do

so, and who is liable if there is an accident - 50-50 might not be good for a cyclist.

http://thecyclingsolicitor.blogspot.cz/2013/06/the-legal-position-where-cyclist-is.html

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/filtering-up-the-inside-of-stationary-traffic

> > Ratty, filtering is perfectly legal.

>

> Filtering, like any form of overtaking, if legal

> done SAFELY. But if there is an accident, then it

> is, logically, almost certainly your fault. The

> traffic code specifically mentions "approaching or

> at a road junction" as an unsafe place.

I'm a cyclist, a motorcyclist and car driver. I continually see cyclists on the left side of a junction when going straight on. My advice - be in the MIDDLE of the road if you intend to go straight on, even if that means holding up the cars. If you stay left and go straight on, cars will often not see you.

It's all about riding defensively.

I hope you're alright.

Glad you're ok, Josephine and I really hope you've reported this hit and run now.

Silverfox, the reason a lot of cyclist wear high viz and have their lights on even in the daytime is because "sorry mate I didn't see you" seems to be the most common excuse given by drivers who have injured or killed cyclists, and it's one that appears to be accepted by the newspapers and the courts as a ligitimate defence.

Unfortunately you can be lit up like a Christmas tree and some drivers will still fail to notice you. Or, more commonly but bizarely, will see you are there but forget you are actually moving. So they treat you as a stationary object in the road and pull out to go around you but then pull back in or make a left turn directly in front of you, seemingly not realising that you have moved forward. If you're lucky you'll realise what's about to happen and manage to slam on the brakes or jump on to the pavement in time. If you're not then you'll end up knocked off, like Josephine, or worse. -

Glad to hear you are okay JosephineB. Absolutely right about the helmet being so important. There is a film called The Crash Reel on Sky and in cinemas at the moment about the snowboarder Kevin Pearce. Aside from being an incredibly moving and inspiring film, the importance of wearing a helmet is repeated, as is taking care after you hit your head. The campaign page from the film is here http://thecrashreel.com/loveyourbrain and on the page is a link to an infographic about what to do if you hit your head.

I also fell off my bike (no one else involved) and hit my head. My bike helmet is dented and the advice I've heard a few times now is to get a new one, even if the damage appears light.

Ruskin Wrote:

>

> I read about the last fatality in Bow yesterday

> morning then cycled from HH to Wandsworth and

> back, and for the first time, felt very pleased to

> reach home again.

Me too. And there was another fatality last night on Commercial Street; 5 cyclists have died in London from collision's in the last 9 days. I boldly cycled right through the winter last year without a shed of fear really, but I have had 2 incidents this year and think I'll be putting my bike away for the year when the weather turns and reduces visibility. I guess the only annoyance with this plan is that we don't have the Underground so the trains will also be hopeless once it snows/ices over!