the patch

Niconico

• 3 weeks later...

jamesb Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Is it true that Keri Moss has also

> severed ties with the place? I don't blame her.

xxxxxx

Really? Why? I thought she was overseeing the menu and therefore - I assumed, possibly wrongly - the cooking?

Reviews seem very mixed. It looks to me like they're trying too hard. It might be better just to do the basics but do them really well, rather than reaching for the Michelin Star and falling in the gutter. It's a great space with an amazing potential customer base. It should do well.

I'm not sure she was ever overseeing the cooking was she? Just designing the menu.

The menu is actually pretty good too, it's just poorly executed. It's been put together so that as much as possible can be prepared in advance. The dishes are well balanced, but when all the chef needs to do on the night is cook the meat correctly and then assemble the dish and they over cook it... that's not great.

Had what i thought was a good roast there on sunday. ?16.50 and this included all the veg and there was plenty of it - carrots, cauli cheese, raosted spuds, red onions, runner beans. Did come out very quick after initial order and we were still eating some bread but thats not a big deal to me. Beef was nice - 2 fair sized slices.

There is something not quite working there. The atmosphere if off. The chap who scowls at the bar while furiously hammering away on his lap top could do with an office so he is not in the main room. A smile wouldn't go amiss either.

Food is ok, small, a bit pricey. It's not kid friendly, but I don't think it is supposed to be.

It looks like it should be a loud, fun, entertaining place to go with great food, but it's just a bit limp. I had some truly awful meals at the magnolia, so this is a marked improvement. Perhaps a new manager who knows how to have fun?

We have had three meals, over the last three weeks evenings and lunchtimes, and have found the food, "ambience" and service excellent - the costs are no similar to other good restaurants in the area- and good luck to the new chef and his team too!

Some of the bar staff could do with a few pointers in customer service, particularly in actually noticing when people are waiting to be served and then, rather than behaving as if customers are just there as an irritant, actually serving them with a smile.

Lovely place and a massive improvement on its predecessors, but very, very disappointed with a couple of the staff, including the little man who may or may not be the manager.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the Patch was closed last night?

I booked a table for 7.30 in the afternoon but when we turned up there was a sign on the door saying the restaurant was closed and when we tried to go in they gestured that it was shut.

I had left a number with the reservation but no-one called to cancel.

I went there with family a couple of weeks ago and I thought the decor was awful. An attempt at the classic 'mismatched' gastro furniture - an assembly of wooden chairs and tables, but so cheap and tacky, obviously a really crap buy from a clearance auction. Nothing interested to look at around the place, and I think there has to be nowadays, with all the competition.

We had sunday lunch. The food, I thought, was so so, bland and unmemorable.

Whereas the previous week we went to Toast ED. The food there, the whole ambience, was outstanding.

lillyrose Wrote:

> Whereas the previous week we went to Toast ED. The

> food there, the whole ambience, was outstanding.

xxxxxx

I love ToastED.

Just wish I could afford to eat there more often!

ETA: Well, I probably could if I didn't order and eat so much when I went there :))

cat woman, I had a similar experience a few months ago. We'd booked an anniversary meal and left a number with the reservation. When we arrived there, we were told the kitchen was shut - with no real explanation and little apology, considering how excited we'd been about celebrating. Later, they deleted a lukewarm message I left on their Facebook wall - which I didn't think was great practice. I really want them to do well, but customer service does matter. Hope they improve this soon!

philosophie Wrote:

> cat woman, I had a similar experience a few months

> ago. We'd booked an anniversary meal and left a

> number with the reservation. When we arrived

> there, we were told the kitchen was shut - with no

> real explanation and little apology, considering

> how excited we'd been about celebrating. Later,

> they deleted a lukewarm message I left on their

> Facebook wall - which I didn't think was great

> practice. I really want them to do well, but

> customer service does matter. Hope they improve

> this soon!

xxxxxx

Even hairdressers phone you to confirm your appointment - as do dentists.

I cannnot believe that a restaurant which isn't able for some reason to honour a booking can't take a minute to phone the person to explain. And if the restaurant wasn't going to be open anyway, as it seems was the case for cat woman, why on earth did they take the booking in the first place?

I have noticed they have deleted some of their own posts on their Facebook page too, philosophie. Rewriting history a bit ......

Yes, they have also deleted my post on facebook which was simply asking what had happened and why they were closed.

I think it's pretty disgraceful to treat customers with such contempt. They could have at least replied to me explaining what the problem or reason was.

Philosophie ??I can't believe you were let down on such a special occasion too!

It was going to be my first visit but obviously I won't be going at all now and I will be telling friends about my experience too.

Yes, there are a lot of people in East Dulwich supporting local businesses and spending a lot of money going out but it is also a place where people are spoilt for choice and word gets around ? not least here on the Forum. I think it's a very foolish customer care policy!!!

edcam Wrote:

> This place needs to get its act together or it

> won't last long.

Ehhmm . Seem to remembering Old Foxy being slated for suggesting such a thing 6 ? Months ago.

It's what happens when a group of people take over a failed business, spend 2 bob on fixtures and fittings,

charge the Earth for Mediocre food and treat their customers with contempt.

Don't say you weren't warned.

Foxy.

Well all we can say is that when we have booked and gone they have been open, the service and food has been excellent and the decor 'shabby chic'? works well in the location and the white tablecloths add a quality look!

We love it!

cat woman Wrote:

> Yes, they have also deleted my post on facebook

> which was simply asking what had happened and why

> they were closed.

>

> I think it's pretty disgraceful to treat customers

> with such contempt. They could have at least

> replied to me explaining what the problem or

> reason was.

>

> Philosophie ??I can't believe you were let down on

> such a special occasion too!

>

> It was going to be my first visit but obviously I

> won't be going at all now and I will be telling

> friends about my experience too.

>

> Yes, there are a lot of people in East Dulwich

> supporting local businesses and spending a lot of

> money going out but it is also a place where

> people are spoilt for choice and word gets around

> ? not least here on the Forum. I think it's a very

> foolish customer care policy!!!

xxxxxx

What I can't understand is, actually those booking mistakes (if that's what they were) could have been opportunities to get a good reputation for customer service, rather than bad.

If you've f-ed up, particularly on somebody's special occasion, then surely what's required is firstly an effusive apology, secondly either a full explanation of the circumstances or an honest admission that somebody has made a mistake, and thirdly an offer of - for example - a free meal with wine at a future date of the customer's choosing.

To delete all reference to the incident, give no explanation of it and not offer any recompense to the people affected seems a very short-sighted way of dealing with things if you are wanting happy customers who recommend you to their friends.