the patch

Niconico

unlurked Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The place is 3rd rate, always has been and will

> always be under the same management.

xxxxxx

Eh? It's changed managers several times, and the present ones have been there a very short time, at least with the place actually open.

What do you mean by "under the same management"?

Or are you referring to Enterprise Inns? (I think that's who owns it?)

• 1 month later...
My wife and I went to The Patch for dinner last Friday and thought it was great. Good service from friendly folks, very nice food and reasonably priced. The wine list was decent and had a good spread in terms of price too. Would be very happy to go back.

It's not often you see East Dulwich offers on Travelzoo but I just got a mail with the following re dinner for two at the Patch.

?29 -- 'MasterChef' Winner: 2-Course Dinner & Bubbly for 2

Link not available but you should be able to find it if you search the site.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's not often you see East Dulwich offers on

> Travelzoo but I just got a mail with the following

> re dinner for two at the Patch.

>

> ?29 -- 'MasterChef' Winner: 2-Course Dinner &

> Bubbly for 2

>

> Link not available but you should be able to find

> it if you search the site.

xxxxxxx

I thought somebody had posted on here that the Masterchef winner had disassociated herself from The Patch?

Has she reassociated (is that a word?) herself?

All I know is that we had dinner at the Patch last night (21/6) and it was absolutely delicious, we took some friends for their first visit and they were very impressed - I don't understand why people are being so negative about the restaurant - the chef and his team seem to be providing continually brilliant food and it's reasonably priced!

It certainly compares very favourably with Franklins, Le Chardon and the Palmerston and, for me, I thinks it's a winner!

pandg

We ate there on Saturday lunchtime and although there had been some confusion over the menu (I was sent the dinner menu which isn't available at lunchtime - for which they were very apologetic) we had a really lovely meal. I would highly recommend. Their Sunday roast is probably the best in ED in my opinion.

I was really disappointed with our meal a few weekends ago - the beef was really tough and served with rock hard undercooked vegetables. I also watched as the fish two of my fellow diners ordered sat on the pass for about 10 minutes whilst they finished the other dishes. No surprises it was cold when it arrived.

Prices were fairly steep too, albeit what I would expect for a good gastropub.

On a positive note I like the refurb and the presentation of the dishes was excellent. Quality of food would have to improve dramaticLly for me to return.

I like the Patch. Staff are friendly and the d?cor and lay out is very good and go there quite regularly. I have not tried the food, and sure it is good but the portions look tiny. I don?t mind paying high prices for food (as long as it is good) but I cannot bring myself to do so for small portions. A friend of mine had a roast. The meat was apparently good but about the size of a cigarette box whilst it came with around 5 small bowls of vegetables which I did not think looked particularly satisfying. Also try compare the size of the burgers to the Great Exhibition or Bishop. They need to have larger portions and maybe a good pizza menu!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm not sure of the restaurant part of the Patch, but I can say that the Bar area falls far below expectations.

I went to a friend's leaving drinks there last night. The initial impression was one of chaos behind the bar, however it may have just been new staff who didn't know the ropes (or so I thought at first).

After the 1st Pint/Wine/G&T we ordered food. As there was an offer of Bar menu food & a drink for ?12 several of us opted for that, however after tasting the only beer in the offer, Czech Kozel :-( we asked for the house wine (best not to comment on the quality of that). When the drinks arrived, there in front of us was a pint of the Kozel which we hadn't ordered and not all the Red Wines we had. When we'd finally sorted out the order, we were informed that 'it's best to keep the customer happy' in a manner that suggested we'd not ordered properly.

Two of us ordered Beef Burgers cooked RARE. I know that it's some restaurants policy to always cook burgers medium, but the serving staff always say so at the time, but no, they were happy to take an order for rare burgers. This made us very happy for a while, as a restaurant which can server Rare beefburgers can only do so if they make their own beef patties :-) Of course, when they came out, the burgers were that bleak shade of gray throughout :-(

Another of our party ordered tagliatelle, not noticing that as well as the mushroom one she wanted, there was also a seafood version available. Again, you'd expect staff to query which one, but no, to her surprise when the order arrived she got the seafood version. Partly her own fault, but again, you'd expect staff to be aware of the options on the menu.

When the food arrived at the table, another companion asked the Barman/waiter for some tomato sauce. His response was that she'd have to get it from the bar. She went to the bar, but there were no condiments there so (after waiting to be noticed) she was served by the same barman, who told her that she had to 'order it' at the bar, he then went away and got some for her....

The attitude of the bar staff was a mix between 'I'm doing you a favour by serving you' to, 'helpful but inexperienced'.

So, overall a fail on the bar area, but happily for one of us....

...the seafood tagliatelle was actually very tasty.....