worst local road for cycling

edteacher

I think it works fairly well to avoid the bad stretch of Lyndhurst way by turning up into Lyndhurst Grove and then take a right onto Vestry road to either rejoin peckham road of cut through to Southampton road. It is basically up and down a hill though - but safer turning and a road with even surface which just about makes up for the extra effort needed...

• 2 weeks later...
Yes it is like a tramline. Really noticed it today while going down to Peckham rd. The other way to avoid Lyndhurst way is to break the law and cycle down the one way sections of Bellenden rd., which I am loathe to do, despite the excellent road surface.

• 3 weeks later...

vandam Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> St Norbert Road in Brockley is an absolute

> shocker- cracks and holes all over the place, if

> you ride it at night even with a decent light on

> you just have no chance of knowing what heavy

> bumps you might hit !! It is way overdue a bit of

> re-surfacing.

Looks like they have started doing some re-surfacing on St Norbert Rd, Yippee!

hopefully they will do the entire length of it down to Brockley station.

• 1 month later...
I spotted heavy machinery and 'no parking' cones on Lyndhurst Way today. Could it be the March unused budget is going to be applied there? Unfortunately only half the road seemed to be designated. Why do they always leave unresurfaced bits when they improve a road eg Southampton Way, Peckham Rye.

edteacher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I spotted heavy machinery and 'no parking' cones

> on Lyndhurst Way today. Could it be the March

> unused budget is going to be applied there?

> Unfortunately only half the road seemed to be

> designated. Why do they always leave unresurfaced

> bits when they improve a road eg Southampton Way,

> Peckham Rye.

Why do they open up a road, fill it in and days later another contractor digs it all up again to do something else.

Piss up in a brewery comes to mind.

Well, I was trying not to be too sceptical, was hoping they'd resurface the whole of Lyndhurst way and were just doing it in bits, but I wrote to the council and got the following response:

"Thank you for your enquiry regarding Lyndhurst way carriageway resurfacing road works. However Lyndhurst way will be resurfaced in two sections namely: from its junction with Chadwick Road to Holy grove Road and Lyndhurst way junction with Lyndhurst Grove to Lyndhurst way junction with High shore Road."

I've asked if there are any plans to resurface the whole thing. It's better than it was now, but still really bad at the top by the school.