Blue brick cafe

yeah they should - and it wasn't as though we didn't smile sweetly at them whenever they emerged briefly from the kitchen. I won't try again - the disgruntled faces of the other customers, some of whom were served toast as we arrived but were yet to receive the rest of their breakfasts as we left, or half their drinks order, spoke less of 'Yum' chips and more of incompetence.

We went there recently for a late breakfast, never been there before, had experience similar to Monniemae, had to wait about an hour because they said they were "busy", but there were only about three other (disgruntled) customers, one of whom was given the wrong order when it eventually came.

They seemed to be trying to cook on the tiniest frying pan in the world.

At first it was a joke as we waited and waited .. and waited .. then it became not a joke, as we had things to do and time ticked on ... and on ... and on .....

And sorry but it wasn't worth waiting for, I had been looking forward to the black pudding but it was horrid, and they had run out of bubble and squeak.

Wouldn't go back there again. The caff next to the Palmerston seems much better value, and they will cook you things that aren't on the menu if you ask, like poached eggs (at least I don't think they're on the menu!) and their portions are enormous :)

• 5 months later...
I love it there, mainly been on a saturday morning for a nice fat fry up and a mug of tea, don't mind waiting occasionally a bit longer gives me time to browse the papers, the two ladies i see normally cooking and serving are always pleasant and go that extra way by asking how you want your eggs done or how crispy you want your bacon, they an be a bit scatty but i think it adds to the appeal :)

went there with small kids. repeatedly asked them to sit down with us at table.they kinda did but was hard work. food was forgetable but at the end of it the lady (owner?) came out , followed me to the pavement and said 'next time you come will you try to control the children'. I said what? she repeated it so i went tourettes on her and never will be back. There was no one else in there. so like, who did they disturb?

Bloody kids, i'd not have been quite so polite, I would have refused to serve you and your kids and probably told you to leave as soon as you came through the doors woodie! Be grateful the poor lady put up with you and yours for as long as she did!

Anyway, on topic, i've always loved this place, it's been around for years now and the good old fashioned food is really heart warming, especially in winter.

Louisa.

they are 4 years old. raw monkeys. theyve been everywhere else just about around here. never any issue. in fact i used to go most places with about 8 of them. sorry louisa blue brick sux. on the not very busy 'dont go there' list. most places around here are very good about raw monkeys even more so when they see you are trying to keep them in control. which I do. mostly.

Woodie - why would you have 8 kids with you? are you a mum or a nanny or a childminder. 8 kids is too much for anyone to look after surely?.

ED is generally really good for kids and parents but only if parents work really hard to make sure our children behave when out, otherwise non parents rightly will get annoyed.

I have been there with one other person in the place and I eventually left before they bothered to ask for my order.

There is only one cafe that I would take 8 kids to woodie, and that is the cafe at the church in barry rd you really have to like kids to frequent that place.

went there right after it changed ownership and the women working were unpardonably rude. forgot my husband's egg in his fry up and then told him he never ordered one. did not mention to me that they only served diet sodas and then were very rude when i returned my unopened can and asked for a coffee in stead. and we had to wait an hour for the food even though there was only one other customer there. I used to really love the place and thought they did the best bubble in all of East Dulwich, but since the management change I refuse to go back and pay someone to treat me poorly and give me substandard food.

East Dulwich Cafe is far better (and the guy behind the counter always calls me sweetie and that makes me feel nice). Also good (and friendly) is the Parkside Cafe near the Herne.

why 8 children? sometimes more..dads club. Those great times. uplands then was ace , everybody was welcoming, they knew theyd have to clear up a bit after we were gone, but we'd tip. kids r older now. those days are gone. broody, moi?

woodie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> why 8 children? sometimes more..dads club. Those

> great times. uplands then was ace , everybody was

> welcoming, they knew theyd have to clear up a bit

> after we were gone, but we'd tip. kids r older

> now. those days are gone. broody, moi?

As a previous manager of above mentioned Uplands , I remember large groups of mums , dads , and kids coming in on any day of the week and some of my waitresses more than happy to literally become surrogate child minders.( louise and Janacke spring to mind) more so on quiet weekday afternoons. I dont know what its like in there now but we will soon be launching our new venture in the area which will include similar coffee and lunch sessions.