Advice re which DIGITAL PIANO to buy anyone?

mysticmark

Yamaha Clavinovas are good but I don't know whether there is one that falls within your price range. They sometimes come up for sale second-hand. The really important thing is to get a model that is touch sensitive, ie is louder or softer depending on how forcefully you depress the keys. That way, children can learn to play much more musically and can more readily make the switch to any kind of piano if they were to have lessons with a piano teacher.

Although Clavinovas are a bit out of price-range, Yamaha has a more competitive range that they've chosen to call Arius. The obvious difference between them is that the latter look less like a piano and more like a keyboard on a chipboard stand (which is what they all are, really). The similarity is that they have the 88 full-size, touch-sensitive, weighted keys and a set of pedals which is probably your minimum set of requirements. As well as the woodwork, there may be other differences - a few minor refinements tone-wise, and speakers mightn't sound as good (though headphones are, I gather, compulsory up to grade 7) - but the workings are likely to be as similar as to make little practical difference.

I don't have either myself. I've a Casio PX-830, and very happy with it. But I don't know where you could try one out, whereas the Yamaha shop in town (Chappells of Bond Street as was, not that it was in Bond Street) has the Yamahas on display for brass-necked shoppers to pound at (alongside the irritatingly proficient, but don't mind them), and I'd strongly advise a trip (though ring first and ask, in case they've shut again or something). In the meantime, the pianoworld forums, though US-based, have a buyer's guide, threads about most models available in the UK, and might be a good, if confusing, starting point for narrowing things down, deciding what is and isn't important and getting used to the terminology, if you've not done that already.

Hey, thank you all so much for taking time out to share some great advice. I'll follow all up and see where ut gets me. Just hope I dont do the usual when confronted with too many options and sheleve the plan!

There are a lot of makes and it's hard to judge if famous names like Yamaha are truly out in front or largely a big name.

Impressed with the feedback from this forum.

Merry Musical New Year to all ;p

I think the most important things are weighted keys, and touch sensitivity. Those are the two things that will best help the kids learn. Sound quality is obviously desirable, but perhaps that will be more important down the line if they persist with it.