George Brown of East Dulwich - tired & emotiona

Shaggy

Con, you are presumably a member of the younger generation. However, old gits like me, who were at school and university in the 60s, remember Brown so well, because there was always a good chance that when he appeared on TV he would be pissed out of his mind or would be photographed looking down women's cleavages - this was at a time when he was Foreign Secretary. Indeed he nearly became Leader of the Labour Party and potential PM (gawd help us!)

A famous story (possibly not true) of Brown goes as follows:-

Attending a glittering official reception at the Palace of the Dawn on an official visit to Brazil, with all the military officers in full-dress uniform and the ambassadors in court dress, he is said to have made a bee-line for a gorgeously crimson-clad figure.

A colleague later recalled: ?George said: ?Excuse me, but may I have the pleasure of this dance?? There was a terrible silence for a moment before the guest, who knew who he was, replied: ?There are three reasons, Mr Brown, why I will not dance with you.

'?The first, I fear, is that you?ve had too much to drink. The second is that this is not, as you suppose, a waltz that the orchestra is playing but the Peruvian national anthem, for which you should be standing to attention. And the third reason why we may not dance, Mr Brown, is that I am the Cardinal Archbishop of Lima.??

Mnay years ago (1969 or so) we got access, as students, to a 'free' telephone (i.e. we weren't paying the bill). We spent our time ringing up every George or G Brown in the London Telephone Directory (there were quite a few) and saying, in a very passible imitation of Harold Wilson 'George, you're drunk, and you're fired'. Well, we thought it was funny.

BrandNewGuy, that photo that you posted looks like the one that appeared in The Grauniad, captioned "Lord George Brown resigns from Labour Party". The Grauniad was criticised at the time for publishing this; however, it was the only way that the paper could indicate that he had resigned from the Labour Party while totally pissed without provoking a libel writ.

That's funny Penguin68...it made me remember the time as a teenage fan I looked in the telephone directory for the telephone number for Ben Volpeliere-Pierrot of Curiosity Killed the Cat ! His Dad answered and told me he wasn't there:)

Alex Douglas-Home lived above The Palmerston

Eden's brother (so nearly), had a hideaway for his mistress on Friern Road

Percival was going to retire to Mamora Road before Assasination spoilt his plans

Heath bought a house for a secret love child on Sylvester Road