Peckham Rye Station

chattyman

chattyman Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Last night it was quiet for balls of hair and

> children, Monday was HELL on EARTH, I wonder what

> this evening will bring.

I look forward to tonight's rogue weave update with aplomb.

PokerTime Wrote:

> Louisa....in an area where according to the last

> census, the overwhelming majority of people are on

> below average incomes, your comments are just

> ludicrous.

What a load of nonsense, I've heard it all now, no seriously I have!! We have a whole bunch of threads about middle class grocers and restaurants moving into the area, we have a market aimed at the middle classes, we have streets full of posh folk with prams and ironic beards- and you are seriously trying to tell me the vast majority of people are below the poverty line? Unreal. I think you need to take down LL and do a comparable trip to Camberwell.

Louisa.

jimbo it depends what you mean by 'normal'. I'm not suggesting everyone is posh, but on our doorstep we have a handful of private schools and homes are not cheap to buy or even rent here. There is a knock on effect and I would estimate more posh people than not.

Louisa.

I have friends of all classes, backgrounds and ethnicity and they are my friends because they are lovely, intelligent and compassionate people. I equally know of some people of all classes, backgrounds and ethnicity, who are self-interested, rude and destructive. That's people. But to have this idea that affluence alone defines a person just makes no sense Louisa. What if I said to you that I hate working class people. They moan about everything and drop litter and sponge off other people's taxes. You would be absolutely right in arguing that to be a false assumption and that working class people are not all the same. So why can't you grasp that idea when people say the same to you about your entrenched hatred of the middle classes? It's not rocket science.

I think it was Jack Jones or maybe Joe Gormley, but one of the great union barons, who said about Tony Benn:

"the problem with Tony is that he only thinks there are sh1ts in the upper and middleclasses"

Louisa, you are Tony Benn and I claim my ?10

Pokertime yes there are good and bad people from all backgrounds yadda yadda. I've had enough of being taught to suck eggs today. I know all this. However, this does NOT detract from the facts for me and others. People from well to do well educated backgrounds should be more polite. My experience of the many of the ones roaming the streets of ED is that they tend not to be. I have not experienced the same issues with other folk. And to be fair to Rye Lane here on this point, the people who shop their tend to be the types who will hold a door open for you or politely move out of the way if you are disabled or struggling. This is a rare thing these days along LL, that's all I'm saying.

Quids- ill send you a cheque in the post ;-)

Louisa.

Louisa has a point, obviously. Pathetic baiting going on as I'm sure most of you are not so dim as not to understand.

In a nutshell: of course, nobody has the right to be rude, whatever their background. And of course, there are rude people from all backgrounds, just as there are nice thoughtful people from all backgrounds.

However you can't help being surprised sometimes when people who are clearly quite affluent and privileged behave in blatantly selfish ways. Shouldn't they know better?

if you get treated like that on the street by a posho or someone not so posh then you deal with it there and then, you're hardly going to get stabbed by a yummy mummy so what's the difficulty in nailing it when it happens ?

I think it's more a case of bleating on EDF about something which you could easily solve, on every occasion it occurs, by addressing it there and then - you feel bad for not having done so at the time so are now venting the frustration here.

Next time, man-up and sort it !

Why would affluence lead to an expectation of better manners? Often affluence can only be maintained through self interest. It never suprises me to find a better off person being more self interested than anyone else. Go to any public school and you'll see ruthlessness in abundance. It might just be that the go-get mindset is being mistaken for poor manners.

What I would also say though is that London is more aggressive anyway than most towns and cities. The pace of life is fast, the stresses are big, and dog eat dog plays itself in every corner. It's not something I've ever experienced elsewhere in the UK. It's worth making that distinction.

PokerTime I agree a London is quite unique in this sense, although it does seem to be spreading out into surrounding towns and counties. The go-get dog eat dog mentality is and always will be a part of London life, however, rudeness and basic poor manners should not be accepted in a day to day scenario. The posh mums and prams scenario is a tip of the iceberg In terms of arrogance. It's something many on here have even experienced in some of the Indy shops locally aimed at said 'posh' folk.

Louisa.

Bizarre (and sexist) 'man up' comment from KidKruger... how I or anyone else reacts or has reacted to these instances hasn't been mentioned. Is your implication that it is somehow 'unmanly' to be annoyed by people being rude and/or selfish? What a strange world you live in.

James Wrote:

> Louisa has a point, obviously. Pathetic baiting

> going on as I'm sure most of you are not so dim as

> not to understand.

>

> In a nutshell: of course, nobody has the right to

> be rude, whatever their background. And of course,

> there are rude people from all backgrounds, just

> as there are nice thoughtful people from all

> backgrounds.

>

> However you can't help being surprised sometimes

> when people who are clearly quite affluent and

> privileged behave in blatantly selfish ways.

> Shouldn't they know better?

Oh the irony.....Talk about arrogant snobishness. So working class people aren't capable of knowing better? I suspect it's their breeding eh james.

Oh well, a fun few hours on a quiet day at work once more passed on the pooterish, comedy that is the EDF