Noisy helicopters during the night!

Lizziedjango

Hi,

Just to advise that the helicopter was deployed to follow a suspect car/person last night in the East Dulwich area, having exited the Peckham area and a lack of response cars available the chopper was utilised.

Thermal imaging facilities were used only to track the suspect.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

LibraCarr Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> Just to advise that the helicopter was deployed to

> follow a suspect car/person last night in the East

> Dulwich area, having exited the Peckham area and a

> lack of response cars available the chopper was

> utilised.

>

> Thermal imaging facilities were used only to track

> the suspect.

> Regards,

> Libra Carr.

Wowzah! Did they catch 'im?

I did. It woke us all up. My toddler son is obsessed with helicopters so he got very excited and wanted to look out the window. All very annoying. I suppose they have to chase the miscreants but annoying they wake up a whole neighbourhood in the process. Not forgetting we also have the FHT to contend with.

• 2 months later...

There was a helicopter hovering right over my house - barely a couple of hundred feet up - last night from about 23:00 until about 02:30. Didn't get a wink of sleep.

What on earth could it be doing - and where can I complain? Aren't there supposed to be air-space regulations about this sort of thing?

It's the principle of the thing!

At the very least, I'd like to know the nature of the exercise - I do consider this to be a somewhat extreme measure, there must hundreds if not thousands more people in such a densely populated area whose sleep was also disturbed.

they are looking for baddies at night using their infrared camera. It is not that often and I would guess that they would only use the helicopter over densely populated areas if the person was very very naughty.

If you write be sure to post here what the reply was

Well I got this back yesterday afternoon.

Dear Mr Griffin,

Thank you for your recent e-mail to The Metropolitan Police Service. You raised a question regarding an unknown helicopter being in the are of your home last night.

I can confirm that one of our Air Support Units was in the vicinity twice last night at different times, carrying out different jobs on these separate occasions, both of which were related to criminal activity.

The MPS never deploys its Air Support Unit without good reason, and it is a valuable tool in the tracking and apprehension of those involved in criminal activity, it also aids our colleagues on the ground with ensuring safety for those involved is maximised with a birds eye view of the area.

Yours sincerely

...which is fair enough. Clearly they oughtn't to tell me about currently ongoing investigations etc., but I just hope it was tracking physically dangerous people, rather than thermaling people's attics - although I can't, of course, expect the Police to agree with me on that one!

To my great relief there was no repeat last night (not until I was already fast asleep with earplugs in).

And now for my next windmill - Southern 'Trains'...