Best cafe for a fry up locally?

MrBen

I don't get why people are so hung up on a posh josh sausage. Nothing wrong with a mostly bread and rusk sausage that's smothered in sauce. Opting for an expensive sausage will inevitably up the price of the whole breakfast, which to me destroys the down to earth nature of a fry up.

Louisa.

StraferJack Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> my potatoe of choice for breakfast is a sauteed potato

Totally agree... ideally with bits of bacon in it so the potato ends up all bacony. But this is probbaly straying from the old-school full english.

Poor second rate sauce (red and brown), terrible sausages that are longer than the plate and non Heinz beans are 3 things that go a little way to ruining my brekkie. Always trade the sausage.

Haggis, along with black pudd makes a rare treat with any brekkie. No chance of finding that on any of the fluorescent stars that act as a menu around here though.

Don?t get me started about chippies!

No one has mentioned the brekkies at Mon Petit Chou. I am assuming it is still there? They did excellent veggie fry ups (halloumi mmmmm) & freshly squeezed juices, service is super quick and efficient.

I expect a potato scone in Scotland but not dahn south. On field trips to Castleton, there's an excellent b&b that provides a 'Full Derbyshire' with an oatcake/potato thingy. Excellent. I love the regional variations.

Beans with a fry up are just wrong, no matter where you are.

Beans, Fried Onion, Eggs, Potato thingys, Fried Bead, Fried Mushrooms Fried tomatoes all essential - And at the Superb place in Beckenham Haloumi and Asparagus too !

GOD FORGOT THE BUBBLE !

The Italian Breakfast place in Beckenham is a real treat and you

can combine it with a trip to the odeon!

Full of swingers with the Prince Albert. A Waitrose. And safest Tory seat in the country. What's not to like?

Bubble and Squeak - after burns night I made some patties from the mash, turnip and a little haggis, added some fresh spring onion and there is a champion "base" from which to add eggs, bacon as required.

Hang on a mo, spring onion? You are adding greens to a fry? Never seen that done before. Prettys adds a little flourish of greenery to their fried brekkies but this is easily put to one side.

MrBen Wrote:

> Full of swingers with the Prince Albert. A

> Waitrose. And safest Tory seat in the country.

> What's not to like?

>

> Bubble and Squeak - after burns night I made some

> patties from the mash, turnip and a little haggis,

> added some fresh spring onion and there is a

> champion "base" from which to add eggs, bacon as

> required.

Bubble n Squeak or Colcannon or whatever reginal variation, has always contained left over Sunday veg usually green cabbage carrot etc mashed with potato and burnt to within an inch of its life and smothered in salt. It's a breakfast tradition at my house.

Beckenham is also the home to one of the largest Jedi communities in England and Wales (as per the 2001 census). And I once saw Katie Hopkins (my idol) perusing the aisles at M&S.

Louisa.

MrBen Wrote:

> In Ireland they have a slightly thicker equivalent

> called a potato farl - but I'd need to check with

> Irish forumites as to whether they were/are a

> breakfast staple.

In Ireland a potato dish of some kind is a staple at every meal (according to my OH).

And bubble should only ever accompany brekky when made on the premises (made from left-over roast dinner veg as Louisa says) - particularly nice in those caffs that do roast dinners and use the veg to make a b&s and not those that buy it in frozen lumps from Brake Bros.

MrBen Wrote:

> Not had this one for a while. But for a good old

> skool fry up where's the action at?

>

> Is there a place for the upmarket ones or is an

> old greasy spoon still best?

Greasy spoon- Lovers Leap Cafe, Sheffield.

Fried potatoe scones. Black pudding. Thats so cruel to mention them.

You cant get them in Singapore and I do so miss them.

Mabye I am sad. I did almost wet myself when I came across Irn Bru in one supermarket here.

Strangely though, you can get Waitrose curry sauces here - sorry Louisa but they are actually pretty good! Mabye not for breakfast though