The Blake mural has been painted over by the Council

Mark

Hi All,

Just thought i'd mention that we had a mural on our gable end untill it was painted over by the council in 2005. By chance i have recently posted on this forum to find a local artist to paint another mural. I was today made aware of this running thread and was wondering if anyone could help with some contact numbers e.t.c for the councilers who are dealing with Blakes mural, who knows maybe they could also get involved with ours.

I agree with Sue.

I think the response from the Council has been excellent, and I'm delighted with the proposals to refresh or recreate the mural.

I too, would like to see the William Blake theme retained. I love the existing mural and would be quite happy to see the existing design restored. If Stan Peskett, the artist, is keen to innovate and do something new tough, I'd be supportive but would be interested to know what his proposals were.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Last night at the Nunhead and Peckham Rye Community Council, the mural was discussed.

I could not attend the meeting, which was full.

Mr Rose did attend, and says: "We think we now have a clearer view of the reality of what is happening with the mural. At the meeting was some Chief Exec of the Council and she told us that the only mistake that was made was that the council department responsible for applying the blue paint failed to tell everyone else what they were doing. Apparently, the blue paint has been put there to protect the mural from further vandalism and can easily be removed without damaging the mural beneath. The plan is, weather permitting, during the next month, the blue paint will be removed, the mural will be repaired, and then a "wipe clean coating" will be put over it to help ease the removal of any further graffiti without damaging the mural."

I thank you.