Hipsters

harperama

And how many people here wore branded track suits (early 80s) - or even worse shell suits as teenagers

Embarrassed and I never wore a shell suit - but I remember wandering around town when everyone did.

And what about those black and white shirts with stone washed jeans and matching jacket that were around for 6 months.

charlesfare Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hasn't every generation since the enlightenment or

> whatever had their own version of hipsters?

> Pre-Raphaelites, flappers, beatniks, teddy boys,

> new romantics and so on. Some of the posters here

> are probably old enough to have lived through or

> been part of at least one of those sub-cultures or

> some other.

>

> Funny to see people on the ED turn their nose up

> at today's current crop of bearded, skinny jeans

> and art school "hipsters" - it's partly down to

> that class of young people that the values of your

> houses have shot up so quickly and that coffee

> shops, art house cinemas, spangly new eateries and

> the likes are popping up around here. On the other

> hand, that could be all the more reason to hate

> them.

Because in your 30s you should have the presence of mind and confidence in your own experience not to need a glorified tribe mentality to bolster your sense of inferiority and fear of the world.

In other words, you should have grown up by then; dress, eat, and espouse opinions to reflect what makes up you not attach yourself to a movement that may ostensibly reflect some of them, or make you feel safer by getting others to do it for you.

If tweed and plaid does just that, then fine. It's the thought not the signifiers themselves that offend, hence why I'm rather fond of Carnell who is deliberately obtuse rather than influenced by others.

"dress, eat, and espouse opinions to reflect what makes up you"

you'll have to explain that to me- i'm afraid i have no idea what it means! :-)

Does it mean that if you like eating burgers, souvlaki and pinxtos from street food sellers; enjoy wearing slim jeans rolled up at the bottom and cycling round London and enjoy drinking craft beers- then it's ok?

If you don't, it's not?

El Pibe Wrote:

> close enough.

> I enjoy many of those things, though you really

> shouldn't drink and cycle you know!!

phew!

grammar got the better of me there!......cycling and drinking were meant as 'likes' exclusive of each other.

El Pibe Wrote:

> If tweed and plaid does just that, then fine. It's

> the thought not the signifiers themselves that

> offend, hence why I'm rather fond of Carnell who

> is deliberately obtuse rather than influenced by

> others.

I'm not quite sure how to take that...

I think the point is that if you're genuinely into ALL the clothes, hair/beard, food, drink, music, etc which typify that whole scene then you're not really an individual. Nothing wrong with listening to Neutral Milk Hotel (or whoever they like), eating souvlaki (whatever the hell that is), drinking craft cans, getting tats, or even dressing in stupid clothes.. but when you put all of them together you're just a walking cliche. By the time you're a proper grown-up you should just be able to pick the bits you like.

"david_carnell Wrote:

> Spot on Jeremy.

>

> I like beer (craft and normal)

> I like selvedge denim, redwing boots and plaid

> shirts

> I like street food

> I can't grow a beard

> I would never get a tattoo

> I don't need glasses

> I don't play synth"

While we're at it then

> I like beer (craft and normal)

> I like slim (not skinny- legs far too muscley from cycling) denim, occcasionally worn slightly rolled up at the bottom depending on the weather and footwear, which might be desert boots, trainers, plain brown winter boots...but not espadrilles

> I wear shirts (plaid or otherwise) & t-shirts

> I wear Jumpers (not necessarily oversized)

> I like street food

> I can and do grow a beard

> I don't have a tattoo and have no desire for one

> I need glasses for distance (driving, cinema, gigs, football) but don't wear them all the time

> I don't play synth

> I only wear a hat in Winter, if it's cold and the hat is woolly or occasionally if it's very sunny at a festival (not a woolly one)

> I listen to and buy a lot of music- 99% of which is away from the mainstream (this isn't a boast, it just is) and go to a lot of gigs

> I am 39 years old- my large group of friends with similar interests have a range of ages between 23 and 45- mostly falling between 30 and 40. None of us consider ourselves 'hipsters' or anything else for that matter.

> 39, straight, male, 6'4", medium build, GSOH.

> I can take or leave Neutral Milk Hotel, but will probably watch them at Primavera if they don't clash.

Judge me however you wish.

it's getting all confessional in here

*I like beer, all of it, depending on the occassion, unless it tastes shit (badly kept beer, overstrength IPA)

*Clothes are functional, i resent paying money for them and wear them all in to rags, so basically my wife dresses me.

*Except jumpers, i love jumpers.

*I like food, if a street seller is worth going to I'll happily do so.

*I am usually bearded, but not out of choice, purest laziness. My weekly shave is usually painful, when will i learn.

* I'm blind as a bat, I used to wear contacs but have been told not to by optician.

*Hats are bobble, and team related. I did by an animal hat in Canada before they become trendy though.

*Likewise with the music thing, though i'm not big on gigs and festivals are hell on earth as far as im concerned.

El Pibe Wrote:

> it's getting all confessional in here

I like lager. Strong not too gassy lager!

"Clothes are functional, i resent paying money for them and wear them all in to rags" This.

I don't really enjoy eating very much, I eat when I start to feel weak. I do like chared meat though. I have no idea what souvlaki is.

I have an unshaven type beard which occasionally gets a tidy up. I hate shaving, and the wife likes the rough look I guess.

I've been prescribed glasses since I was 18 months old, and having had my fair share of heave thick NHS glasses as a kid, you will NEVER see me in that type of thing again. I basically hate wearing glasses and only put them on when I get a headache.

I quite like hats, more so since my bald patch got bigger. But there are hats and there are hats.

I can't be doing with many gigs anymore. Smoking ban ruined the experience for me (even though I fully accept it probably improved the experience for a lot more people).

So, to recap: you're all comfortable within your own skin and stuff not like these young'uns; things used to be better back in 1986 - and your wife buys clothes for you sometimes and that's ok.

Prematurely middle-aged Dads, I salute you.