Hipsters

harperama

"I think there must be a period of at least a few years between "too old for skinny jeans" and Victor Meldrew."

Roughly 23 - 73 yo, I reckon, so a few years.

The annoying thing about hipsters (or any other tribe adherents) post 30 is that the combination of contrivance and conformity obscures the individual completely; it makes is easy to conclude (probably completely unfairly) that someone is probably a bit of a bore and a bit of a nob, which is not a winning combination.

And the great thing about being 40 something is that you can do the stuff you know you like, get nostalgic about the stuff you used to like, and still look forward to the stuff you plan to try.

DaveR Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And the great thing about being 40 something is

> that you can do the stuff you know you like

Such as listening to Huey Lewis and The News, cutting stilton with a "shovel", and the annual ski trip.

"And the great thing about being 40 something is that you can do the stuff you know you like, get nostalgic about the stuff you used to like, and still look forward to the stuff you plan to try."

Nicely put.

I might fantasise about the baggy straight flares I made from my parents' 70s curtains.

RosieH Wrote:

> I can't help feeling it's kind of

> pathetic to rail against people half your age (or

> a third your age...!

Rail against is a tad harsh - take the piss maybe?

When I dressed as "an autonomous individual who aint conformin' man" I was fine with old duffers mocking me and/or tutting under their breath. Good. They didn't 'get it' - and I didn't want them to. I certainly didn't want them to "Get with it, daddy-o." If we (old gits) didn't mock and tut and shake our sage-ly heads at the young they will be denied the warm glow of satisfaction that we cardigan-wearing coffin-dodgers can only get with a Horlicks when it's at just the right temperature.

"It's just fashion - contrived and conforming maybe - but that's always been a large part of fashion too hasn't it?

Is 29 the offical cut-off for not being interested in fashion? I didn't realise."

I've always thought fashion pretty much amounts to "last year this shirt was cool, but now it's shit. This year this shirt is cool, next year it will be shit.". In that very simple way, you're never too young to not be interested in fashion.

Similarly 'lifestyle'. As far as I can see, lifestyle means that there is presumed to be some invisible correlation between where I live, what music I listen to, what car I drive, and where I buy my pants. No thanks.

I just like trying new stuff, and I'm grateful when some new trend wheels around and whatever it is turns out to be great. But I'm very happy to p!ss all over stuff that's fashionable but crap, because that's another pleasure of being 40...give or take a few years.

Being unfashionable is of course - quite fashionable - these days.

So many people love to shout about how they don't follow fashion - and yet most people's current crop of clothes still follow certain trends. Maybe not seasonal 'magazine' trends, but general trends. That's what most shops stock.. general trends.

Personally when I see someone - anyone - of any age - wearing something that generates some sort of response in people that see them in it, I generally think "good on 'em". They make the world more interesting, one way or another.

It's true he does wear this. I've seen him in Hoxton, Shoreditch and Peckham, hipstering.

???? Wrote:

> Except me of course, I wear a bowler, a sheepskin

> tanktop, kilt and black plimossols to spit in the

> face of fashion junkies*

>

El Pibe Wrote:

> At 14 is to be encouraged, at 24 its to be

> tolerated, in your 30s...seriously, grow up.

> It's the older ones that really annoy.

Why?

Is there a rule book somewhere that says you have to start wearing beige at a certain age?

I'm not fashionable anyway in clothes or lifestyle, but I think I am unusual. I don't generally give a toss what other people want to wear or how they want to live (if it doesn't negatively impact on other people's lives).

Most people seem to follow fashions though and the hipster fashion is all the same thing really. There will be someonething else to come along and moan about soon.

It's not your fashion so you hate it.

Kind of stupid really.