Hipsters

harperama

People will make judgements on other's appearances based on their own hang-ups, insecurities, prejudices, need to feel part of 'the right group' and other personal motives.

Certainly not from great understanding of how fashion 'works', what it 'means', nor who participates at any time in te the myth 'fashion'.

> Is there a rule book somewhere that says you have

> to start wearing beige at a certain age?

You've obviously never been to Madrid, it's practically the law there to wear beige whatever your age.

ANd my point was the older you get the less you should feel the need to conform to anything. Counterculture fashion is of course just a different way of conforming.

>>"I think I am unusual. I don't generally* give a toss what other people want to wear or how they want to live"

So good for you

*although i've seen your smart power suit look for work (it looks good btw)

Speaking from Shoreditch, the hipster zeitgeist seems to be rooted in 1950's vintage clothing with elements of psychobilly styling. Can't say that I agree with this http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/apr/08/beware-of-cupcake-fascism but it provides a perspective and shows one man's antagonism towards the "vintagey and twee" and its "infantalising" influence.

El Pibe Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

>

> *although i've seen your smart power suit look for

> work (it looks good btw)

Lol, that's just the work uniform expected by clients although I often wear jeans when I'm not in the mood for a suit. I get my suits from second hand shops (along with almost all of my other clothes), so none are 'in fashion'.

My good friend was a fashion worshiper and worked in fashion, but I never understood why. It seemed like a pretend job to me because I don't get why it's important to people, but clearly it is.

*Bob* Wrote:

> LadyDeliah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> I get my suits from

> > second hand shops (along with almost all of my

> > other clothes)

>

> You're bang on-trend for '14

achingly hip

Otta Wrote:

> This is surely a good thing

>

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-27188915

No way, Jose. I've always hated dimpled glasses. Too heavy and cumbersome for a drinking vessel. When my dad passed away and we had to clear out his house we found at least 20 of 'em. No one wanted them so in the bin they went. A straight glass every time my friend.

titch juicy Wrote:

> *Bob* Wrote:

> -----

> > LadyDeliah Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > I get my suits from

> > > second hand shops (along with almost all of

> my

> > > other clothes)

> >

> > You're bang on-trend for '14

>

> achingly hip

I must be an unwitting leader of fashion then, because I've been doing it for most of my adult life!

My dad dragged us all off to the Centre for Alternative Technology since I was a kid, grew veg and did all that eco stuff way before that came into fashion too, so at 70, my Dad seems to be a fashion icon too. Clearly runs in the family.

No! Just wondered as I was in Brick Lane on Sunday night and there were f*cking hundreds of the buggers along with the female version.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Is that a trick question?

Salsaboy Wrote:

> No! Just wondered as I was in Brick Lane on Sunday

> night and there were @#$%& hundreds of the buggers

> along with the female version.

Are you sure you hadn't just strayed into a Lesbian bar?...

LadyDeliah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------

>

> My good friend was a fashion worshiper and worked

> in fashion, but I never understood why. It seemed

> like a pretend job to me because I don't get why

> it's important to people, but clearly it is.

Fashion is hardly a 'pretend' job British fashion is one of our largest exports and raises many millions for the economy.

I work as a personal shopper in a luxury store and I've seen the right clothes make the hugest difference to peoples self confidence and sense of wellbeing.

As an example I had a terminally ill mother of the bride who once in the right outfit, which covered her scars and allowed her to sit in her wheelchair but still look chic and attractive was moved to tears of happiness because she felt beautiful again.

You mention you buy all your clothes in charity shops second hand? then you should be grateful for fashion and its followers for without it no one would ever recycle their old clothes for you to buy.

NewWave Wrote:

> You mention you buy all your clothes in charity

> shops second hand? then you should be grateful for

> fashion and its followers for without it no one

> would ever recycle their old clothes for you to

> buy.

They might just have got fat.

Otta Wrote:

> Still not a proper job though is it.

And what exactly do you you call a 'proper job'?

Myself and my colleague's all have degrees, work bloody hard,

Pay our taxes.

Ok we are not saving lives but are you?