Anyone with experience of deferring starting reception till Jan

I am considering doing this with my daughter as i love her nursery and logistically it would be a lot easier for us. But I worry that she/we will miss out on making friendships at the beginning of the year and that she might be very envious of all her friends who are starting school. If you have deferred entry how did it work out for you and soon do you have to tell the school?

The problem is not so much the friends issue as they don't take long if they have good social skills. The problem is how much learning they miss and how they then feel when everyone knows what is going on and they don't. I have a couple of jan starts in my class and they were happy at first but then they realised that they can't do the stuff the rest can and their morale has slumped. And its simple things like not knowing how to use the number fans, which are things you can't really teach at home, as unless you teach you wouldn't know about those things. If your child is very able they may cope well but please don't underestimate how much learning takes place in the autumn term. HTH

I kept my son back until Easter term to be with me at home for a number of reasons. But if your child is already at nursery and enjoying it then I would see no real reason for her not to start reception. We had been moving house (and country!) which is why I kept my son back. But he did take a while to get used to the whole school environment.

I kept my middle son at nursery until January. Socially he has been fine but I think he did find the work a bit overwhelming. I think now after one term he is finding it easier.

My first son didn't start school until year 1 and also settled in well. Academically, he was behind his classmates (couldn't read, write, etc.) when he started and finished at the top of class. He also made friends and integrated well.

This has been the right decision for both my children and I wouldn't hesitate to defer entry for my youngest either. I think you need to do what works best for you and your family.

FYI I let the school know after he had received his place.

I haven't done this but I know someone who did because they were moving house. He hated the fact that he'd been left behind at nursery when all the others his age had moved on. He was so unhappy they ended up starting him in reception 2 weeks after the start of term. I don't know what your daughter's nursery is like but in my experience you can see a big change when all the older ones go and then the class gets filled up with much younger kids.

The other option to consider is starting her part time so she could just go mornings for example until the term in which she turns 5. Then she wouldn't miss out on so much learning (as this is often done before lunch) or making friends.