East Dulwich Picturehouse and Caf?

VicCraven

rahrahrah I'm not angry, just disappointed that's all. I can live with it, but I'm sure they could have directed resources into cheaper cinema tickets rather than something naff like this. That's my only argument. It's not always about class you know haha.

Louisa.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm sure they could

> have directed resources into cheaper cinema

> tickets rather than something naff like this.

When you think how much they're likely to have paid for this art (surely no more than ?1K?) and how many tickets they're hoping to sell every year (surely over 100,000) then I don't think there could possibly be any impact on ticket prices.

Why does nearly every bloody thread on this MB have to descend into a class argument. I stopped being guilty about being middle class when I was 21. I suspect that there are many middle class people on the MB pretending to be working class so that they can be down wiv da kidz.

I'm waiting for Godwin's Law to kick in and for someone to compare Picture House with Hitler and/or the Fascist movement.

It's surely the principle of the matter? A new cinema chain looking to open in our area. Fine. Great. Most of us support the idea. A nice low key opening, cheap tickets for the first month or two? Then other offers further down the line BOGOF maybe? (formerly known as Orange Wednesday for example). But no, we get arty farty street fanfare plastered on the hoarding, which suggests that image is more important than substance. What we want is a decent cinema with reasonable prices surely?

Louisa.

I don't. We've got a no frills cinema offering cheap tickets in Peckham. I want one which offers a greater range of events, nicer surroundings, a good cafe / bar and I don't mind paying a little more for it frankly. I'm not doing down PeckhamPlex, but it's a different offering - which is good as it gives us more choice locally.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

But no, we get arty farty street fanfare

> plastered on the hoarding, which suggests that

> image is more important than substance.

Suggests no such thing or only if you prefer the "substance" of a plain ugly hoarding which could be an eyesore for a few months.

"I'm confused"

Hmmm......

Peckhamplex and Picturehouse will both be offering standard Hollywood stuff of that I'm sure. I'm guessing the art house stuff will also be prominent at Picturehouse, which is also good news. What I don't understand is the disparity in pricing. And I can only put this down to demographics I'm afraid to say. It isn't necessary to overinflate prices just because some of the clientele may have bugaboos and others prefer the traditional pram option (for example). What I find patronising, is the way in which said companies tailor their pricing based on who lives in an area. It's almost suggesting you have to pay more to be cultured. I can picture in my head now people queuing up with ironic glasses on for a film on a Thursday evening, not because they want to see it, but because it gives them the opportunity to be seen paying to go into a more cultured film venue. How does this make the traditional pram user (an example don't take this literally) feel when they are forced to see swathes of ironic eyewear nursing a Sauvignon outside the cafe sneering at them as they queue for a bus to Peckhaplex to watch the next Transformers instalment?

Louisa.

Or perhpas its the difference in rent (not to mention other operating costs)...

Renting space to run a cinema in Peckham may simply be much cheaper than renting space on LL. Similarly rents in the West End are bound to be more expensive than Lordship Lane. That the rents are different is also not bad or surprising.

Anway, the painted hoarding is a clever way to advertise that the cinema is opening (not everyone reads the EDF)and is certainly better than nothing being there at all.

Picturehouse are cheaper than the Odeon in Surrey Quays. Peckhamplex is notably cheaper than anywhere else - that is it selling point and you would probably complain if Picturehouse went after Peckhamplex on price I suspect. As it is, it's competing on different terms which means more choice.