-------------------------------------------------------

> .....

>what I find

> patronising, is the way in which said companies

> tailor their pricing based on who lives in an

> area.

>

> Louisa.

Peckhamplex tailor their pricing based on who lives in their area.

Peckham Plex is independently owned. Their business model appears to be to heavily subsidise the movie tickets on the premise that moviegoers will purchase the overpriced food which is conveniently sold from the popcorn area since they got rid of the box office. The Plex is the cheapest cinema in London, if not across the majority of the UK.

Your average local Odeon will charge nearly ?10 for a standard seat in the cinema and still expect you to buy the overpriced food and drink.

Picturehouse on the other hand is the artier chain of Cineworld Cinemas, who target middle income earners in affluent/gentrified urban areas to which it wouldn't be suitable to use the Cineworld brand which are multiplexes in nature.

All this talk of cinemas and Bugaboos reminds me of when I used to take my son to the 'The big scream' at the Clapham Picture House. A great idea.. films for parents to take infants to (under one year). They just crank up the volume to drown out the screaming babies. It was hilarious. It took one whole screen to park the prams and a seperate one for the movie. Tickets for that were only about a fiver.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I think the Odeon is actually over a tenner a

> ticket... very similar price to Picturehouse. AND

> Picturehouse won't try to charge you more for a

> comfier seat in a better position.

A quick look at tonight's showing of 24 Jump Street and Mrs Browns Boys at Surrey Quays Odeon is ?7

It sounds like the ED Picturehouse are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

If they reduced prices so that they were more competitive with the Peckhamplex they would be criticised for taking away business.

If the new cinema maintains prices in line with its other cinemas (Clapham, Brixton, Hackney) they are criticised for not being within everyone's budget.

I'm really excited about the cinema opening and hope that it will put on events that encourage everyone in the community to get involved.

Re the hoardings - do we even know if the artists were paid?

Seriously, who cares about 'budget' really

If you want budget tickets then there's a provision for that at P Plex. If you want cheap frozen food, then there's Iceland for that too

But why should any business have to be obliged to do cheaper anything. It's a business not a social enterprise and I don't see anyone pillorying Gourmet Burger on here for not offering a 99p range

If you want to be cheap and take your own whatever, then fine. Just don't carp at people who chose to do what they feel works for them

You know what. I'd like a foot massage as i'm watching a film and someone to fill my wine glass. I'd even like a booth with curtains and a vintage Stouby leather sofa to sit with my partner on. All this i'd happily pay a whopping premium for

Any chance this could happen, really a private members night would be great.

Seabag Wrote:

> Seriously, who cares about 'budget' really

>

> If you want budget tickets then there's a

> provision for that at P Plex. If you want cheap

> frozen food, then there's Iceland for that too

>

> But why should any business have to be obliged to

> do cheaper anything. It's a business not a social

> enterprise and I don't see anyone pillorying

> Gourmet Burger on here for not offering a 99p

> range

>

> If you want to be cheap and take your own

> whatever, then fine. Just don't carp at people who

> chose to do what they feel works for them

>

> You know what. I'd like a foot massage as i'm

> watching a film and someone to fill my wine glass.

> I'd even like a booth with curtains and a vintage

> Stouby leather sofa to sit with my partner on. All

> this i'd happily pay a whopping premium for

>

> Any chance this could happen, really a private

> members night would be great.

A slight tangent, however, if you think Gourmet Burger charge premium prices for burgers, you would cry at the prices in "The Great Exhibition" which are now officially, ridiculous! Shame as I like the place but will not pay those unjustifiable prices!

Ron70

Ron70

Until you've eaten/paid for a burger from the brunch menu at Chiltern Firehouse, you ain't lived

You'll be ordering doubles with aplomb at TGE after that

It's all relative, just depends who you wish to rub shoulders with

Seabag Wrote:

> Ron70

>

> Until you've eaten/paid for a burger from the

> brunch menu at Chiltern Firehouse, you ain't

> lived

>

> You'll be ordering doubles with aplomb at TGE

> after that

>

> It's all relative, just depends who you wish to

> rub shoulders

I probably wouldn't choose to rub shoulders with the patrons of The Chiltern Firehouse, although I'm sure i'd enjoy the food. Don't get me wrong, I still frequent the Exhibition, I just think it's in danger of pricing itself out of the reasonably popular position it currently holds.

Ron70

The Peckham Plex was a former Sainsbury's superstore until 1994, so it's probably for that reason it has not been updated along with the barely break even ticket prices. Still a good business model, it brings the punters through the doors.

Louisa.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> A quick look at tonight's showing of 24 Jump Street

> and Mrs Browns Boys at Surrey Quays Odeon is ?7

I searched for tickets to planet of the apes (2D) yesterday and it was a tenner... oh well... maybe different prices at different times of day (or days of week)?

Plex is great as long as its not a busy film and there aren't other busy films showing at the same time. Last time we went - we booked in advance but when we arrived (in good time - 45 mins to spare) were unable to see the film because the queue was so long the film had started before we were able to collect our tickets ...would be great if you could print off your tickets at home (like the picturehouses for example)

Jeremy Wrote:

> Bic Basher Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > A quick look at tonight's showing of 24 Jump

> Street

> > and Mrs Browns Boys at Surrey Quays Odeon is ?7

>

> I searched for tickets to planet of the apes (2D)

> yesterday and it was a tenner... oh well... maybe

> different prices at different times of day (or

> days of week)?

Agreed, I think weekends are closer to a tenner as the demand is higher Fri-Mon than midweek.