What is replacing the Old Garden Centre??

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

After no reply from Westrock, I tried contacting Morrisons. After a bit of nudging, I got this reply today:

"Estates have told me that due to the sale of our M Locals, we terminated the agreement on this site, so no longer have anything to do with it. I can only suggest you try contacting Westrock again to see if you can get any information.

I'm sorry but there is nothing further I can do."

So that's confirmed what we already expected - that Morrisons no longer have an interest. Looks like Westrock still do. I don't expect that they sold this interest when they sold the stores (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34198944). Presumably they just reliquished their interest.

• 4 months later...
Any update on this? I feel like we've all been 'sold a pup' here. It would be nice to at least push back those hoardings, so during peak commuting times people aren't bumping into each other trying to catch a train/bus on a restricted amount of pavement. Plus as Chazzle mentions they look awful - at least some street art on them would be an improvement.

• 1 month later...

Bit of an update, but not very promising:

I tried to contact the current developer Westrock and an apparent investor NorthRidge Capital (http://www.northridgecapital.co.uk/portfolio.php?p=east_dulwich). Both completely ignored my emails. I contacted Morrisons who confirmed they no longer have an interest (see above).

In the end, I wrote to Helen Hayes MP, who wrote to the Director of Planning at Southwark in January. That did get a prompt response. The response basically said:

1. The three-year time limit has run out, but the developer could claim they've started because of the demolition.

2. The developer has applied for a minor adjustment to the plans which suggests they are going to get moving again.

3. The hoardings are on private land, but he would get the Highways Licensing team to check

4. He would ask the Head of Building Control to check whether the partially demolished former waiting room presented any hazard to the public.

I left this sitting until recently (also focusing on getting the appeal on demolishing 1 & 2 Railway Rise rejected), but then wrote back on 21 April.

In short, I said:

a) I thought the partial demolition meant that any time limit on planning permission was pretty meaningless.

b) Were the developers trying to renege on the library promise?

c) The hoardings are blocking the route for people leaving the station and trying to cross.

d) Had the Head of Building Control checked the safety of the partially demolished structure?

e) Would it not be reasonable for the Council to contact the developers and find out about their intentions.

I'll let you know more when I get a response to my follow.

This has now been dragging on for ten years, and counting ...

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

There's been a digger in there since Monday, as far as I have been able to see. They're clearing all the piles of soil and rubble and levelling the ground.

A dump truck was picking up a load of soil as I happened to walk by on the way to Sainbury's, so I stopped and asked if they were preparing to build, and the site guy said yes.

But when I asked him when they intended to begin, he said he didn't know.

So, at least they're clearing and levelling the site, which means that we might be able to use it for something else while the developer is faffing.

rch Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I

> stopped and asked if they were preparing to build,

> and the site guy said yes.

>

"site guy"? you seem to indicate you spoke to an american male there.

i understand that JD Wetherspoon have bought the site. I only recently discovered the existence of the one tucked away opposite Denmark Hill station so this will be welcome news for anyone around Lordship Lane who fancies a few affordable beers on a night out.

Sorry, I'm a dual US/UK national and tend to slip into bi-lingual communication when my brain isn't functioning (getting the flu).

I'm not sure if he was the site manager, but he seemed to be telling the lorry drivers what to do, but didn't want to communicate very intimately with a passer-by.

The site has planning permission for ugly flats, so I can't see them building a pub there... unless they put a pub on the ground floor where the Morrisons was going to be?

I just hope they don't try to back out of building the library...

I annoyed a lot of people by voting against this development when I sat on the planning committee, on the grounds that it was overdevelopment and terrible design, not in keeping with the area.

The development got approved because the community asset value of the Library on the ground floor was thought to compensate.

I wasn't the least bit surprised when a later amendment was submitted and approved to cite the Library in the back of the development, with a retail outlet positioned in the front.

I'd heard that more amendments had been submitted to save money by making the building design even worse, but I've lost track now that I'm not a cllr anymore... is the Library completely gone now??

sidebirds Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rch Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I

> > stopped and asked if they were preparing to

> build,

> > and the site guy said yes.

> >

>

>

> "site guy"? you seem to indicate you spoke to an

> american male there.

>

> i understand that JD Wetherspoon have bought the

> site. I only recently discovered the existence of

> the one tucked away opposite Denmark Hill station

> so this will be welcome news for anyone around

> Lordship Lane who fancies a few affordable beers

> on a night out.

Sidebirds - if you want to have cheap drinks in an amazing place, get on the bus to Forest Hill and go to the Capitol. It's a Wetherspoon's ( and therefore for those who are not boycotting JDW establishments for their boss's Brexiteering) in an old 1920s/30s picture palace. Fantastic interior, though it still smells unmistakably of Wetherspoon's - smelly food and stale beer, all worked into an old carpet for a decade or so until ripe. Apparently JDW are going to be selling it so make the most of it while you can.

BigED

Apparently the building's about to start. The hoarding will be extended further across Railway Rise, which will make it tight for lorries to get up there. There will be a new site entrance near the corner - which should be ... interesting.

The same source said it will be a library and M&S, but he's not been 100% reliable in the past! I haven't seen any application to change usage to a pub or bar.

Sidebirds - if you want to have cheap drinks in an

> amazing place, get on the bus to Forest Hill and

> go to the Capitol. It's a Wetherspoon's ( and

> therefore for those who are not boycotting JDW

> establishments for their boss's Brexiteering) in

> an old 1920s/30s picture palace. Fantastic

> interior, though it still smells unmistakably of

> Wetherspoon's - smelly food and stale beer, all

> worked into an old carpet for a decade or so until

> ripe. Apparently JDW are going to be selling it

> so make the most of it while you can.

>

> BigED

Thanks for the recommendation. Haven't heard of this spot, interior makes it sound well worth a visit, not to mention as an anti-globalist and a democrat I am all for JD Wetherspoon.