Selfish couple underhill road

Louisa

I ran around 400 miles in the last 12 months, almost exclusively on south London / central London streets. This is just those runs that have been recorded (using a Nike+ device), so could be more. In addition I walk, a lot. In all this time and over hundreds of miles, I can say honestly that I have not once been passed on the pavement by a cyclist.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but 5/6 times a week or more?! It just seems to stretch the bounds of probability.

No, I walk on pavements, which is the correct place for a pedestrian, unless that person is crossing the road carefully and attentively.

Just because another person has a different experience it doesn't make it the universal experience. My experience is that selfish cyclists are out there and they do cycle on pavements. They are very much the minority, but they stick out because they are intent on doing what they want at the expense of other peoples' safety.

I don't make stuff up.

Fair enough, I can't speak to your personal experience, but it just seems incredible that you are being passed so regularly on the pavements. Does it always happen in the same spots? Maybe there is some reason that it is happening in specific locations? If it's all over, then I would worry you're being stalked and it may actually be the same person each time.

rahrahrah I am a driver and a walker, and I can assure you, when I'm walking, I do regularly come across pavement cyclists, and I'm not talking about kids, I'm referring to the Bradley wiggins wannabes with all the gear on and cameras attached etc.

Louisa.

Louisa - I don't doubt that it happens, but 5 or 6 times a week? If that's the norm then I must have some remarkable bike repelling properties I was hitherto unaware of - or I have just been incredibly lucky not to have run into these bike thugs, against apparently incredible odds....

rahrahrah honestly it all depends on which postcode you happen to be in. As I say, some more central postcodes reflect considerably higher rates of pavement hogging cyclists. For whatever reason, it seems to be less so around here but don't allow that to fool you into believing rates are not much higher elsewhere. I suggest you stand at the junction of vauxhall bridge road. I would loosely estimate 5/6 pavement hoggers on the average day. Maybe someone should take a straw poll?

Louisa.

I see pavement riders a lot, around here it seems to be a lot of people with kids on their crossbars or handlebars. Also people on their own, who don't look like regular cyclists, as in they aren't dressed in cycling gear. Also people with dogs who have the dogs running alongside who think that makes it ok.

There is one guy I see a lot on Saturdays at Northcross Rd market who regularly cycles through the crowds on the pavement.

That's what happens when someone is reckless and not paying attention. It may sound trivial to some, but if that small child had been hit at speed by that bike it could have caused injury. More to the point, the cyclist did not even notice they had nearly hit someone! Crazy behaviour.

Louisa.

This is the most amazing thread I've read in ages.

Seriously, what a waste of energy. Getting annoyed at people on the pavement for holding hands?! Jeez.

Choose your battles. They're human beings too. A bit of empathy and altruism wouldn't go a miss round these parts. Getting yourself worked up about it doesn't make you feel any better. Seems like you wanted an argument to begin with!

PohSuan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think the craziest cyclists I have seen recently

> are parents riding on busy roads with tiny babies

> in slings.I had to do a double take as couldn't

> believe my eyes at first.

Whenever I see young child in a special child seat at the back of a bicycle I get very nervous, they look so exposed and vulnerable.

• 2 weeks later...

Haha, this post is hilarious ! I might see if I can start a business selling kits with Pitchforks, paraffin and matches, possibly sets of stocks....I'd make a killing from the forum :)

Ps I live on Underhill, we are constantly plagued by hand-holders, it's a rat run of them, they hold meets late at night and walk up and down being outrageously obstructive after midnight. We have reported it to the police, but nothings happened, it's like we've been abandoned !

spark67 I feel your agony. Underhill is one of the worst roads in the area for this kind of ignorant pavement hogging, and I don't think all the cars help matters as it's becomes pedestrian warfare ducking and diving in and out of parked car gaps letting people pass. I wish community support officers would encourage people to be more pavement aware, maybe setup a system of fines for people who walk side by side, pram owners are the worst for this offence.

Louisa.