Clockhouse - ?500 for a 2 year old children's party?

Ladysaw

Found this on Southwark Council's website: Dulwich Park,Francis Peek Centre: The centre is available for hire and is ideal for parties and other events. With panoramic views across the park and plenty of space. For further information, tel: 020 8693 8635

PokerTime Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> ?500 for two and a half hours use anywhere is excessive.

Exactly right. And if they price out kid's parties, that's cool, but they'll probably end up with an empty room making no money most days, unless they attract small wedding receptions and the like.

YC is v defensive certainty. I imagine lots of pubs do have a significant minimum spend for opening up a private room esp if it means extra staffing for them but I guess that just makes the Clockhouse the wrong choice for this particular party and it seems it's not the type of business they want. Their loss I'd say.

The Herne has or did have a good party room out the back that our kids have been to for parties a fee times. A good option if the parents want to have a social beer while the kids are having fun. That's not horribly inappropriate is it?

Another vote for the Albrighton centre, we had my sons party in the main hall with bouncy castle and tumble tots soft play equipment. Oh and kitchen hire, 2 hours cost me about ?120

Very clean there and lovely staff, not to mention money going back to the community as they do lots to keep the kids off the streets.

St Johns church by Goose Green is a good deal. You have a choice of rooms - one of which is huge and use of the kitchens (including ovens and fridges), which is quite handy if you're heating up food or want to serve drinks for the parents. Can't remember the exact cost but it was about ?100 in total a couple of years ago for 2 hours.

Otherwise, been to a couple of kids parties at East Dulwich Community centre on Darrell Road, which I gather is cheap to hire.

I used to use the Clock House a few years back when it was still a pub.

But gutting the interior and hacking off the plaster must be one of the worst refurbishments ever.

And then the price hike.

Was a great pub back in the 70's but has suffered from a series of refurbishments over the years.

Each one progressively worse than the previous.

Now a soulless dull place to have a drink. The open plan seem to make the place noisy.

DulwichFox

Hello everyone,

I finally got a place that both my hubby and I are happy with and think the price is fair and reasonable for a 2 year old party. I spent quite a lot of time calling up different places (as you all know) before posting this and i must say because of all your input on this thread I found a wonderful place.

Thanks for all your responses and excellent venue ideas.

Enjoy your day!

I went to a kids party at jags last weekend and my daughter who is 2 1/2 absolutely loved it. Loads of space to run around in the sports hall and they had put a bouncy castle out with some other things for kids to play on. Good luck with the venue hunt!

• 2 weeks later...

I used a pub for a kids party once.

?70 hire, 40 kids food and drinks came to about ?300 as I recall, the parents put another ?150 on my bartab.

Plus the obligatory entertainer, party bags, the numerous ?50 canisters of helium, and the cake and I think that was when I got sent to A&E with a suspected heart attack.

I tried other venues and it always came out much the same... ?500 seems about par for the course if you want your house still standing and untouched.

Archived