Highly overated bands....

????

And this from a man who does Bon Jovi covers.

Ha ha, for fun though gg, just for fun. Have never written anything like that

Just never really liked Nirvava, Lithium was a tune, but other than that...

Was never a Foo Fighters fan as such, but have liked more of their tunes than I did Nirvava's. "Best of you" is a great great track

I haven't listened to Nevermind in years, but I still get a rush when I hear any of the tracks in the radio (OK, but maybe not Teen Spirit any more). But it's struck a chord with a whole new generation. There are 14 year olds with Nirvana shirts, and Nevermind on their ipods. The production and mix are perfect to my ears... yeah, the band thought it was too polished, but to me, Bleach sounded like it was done on 4-track.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Janis Joplin, sreechy and needed a bath.

Maybe, but wshat about passion? She wasn't afraid to pour emotion into her performance - no matter how raw the feelings were.

HonaloochieB Wrote:

> The Doors. Singer photogenic enough I suppose, but

> listening to their records... imagine a

> pretentious leather trousered buffon stamping on a

> human face forever.

Maybe, but LA Woman is my favourite 'driving around at 2am in the morning and trying not to fall asleep' song of all time. Cranked up to 11 of course. Try it.

Again, overrated doesn't mean bad.

I'm not sure the Doors are overrated as I don't think many rate them that highly once they leave university.

LA Woman is however a top top tune.

We played Riders on the Storm at my mate's funeral as it was a song he loved (he died in a car crash 3 months after leaving uni, so we can forgive him th eimmature taste (good song mind if a tad pretentious)) and we were all in the church and the priest only picked the bit with "there's a killer in the road".

Never a more awkward silence heard in my life, I knew we should have stuck with Muddy Waters!!

But by Christ, you lot are so harsh - you write and perform an amazing, soulful, beautiful album such as Parachutes, packed with songs and sounds that could light the candles in a hundred churches or the electric, imaginative, dazzling portfolio of tracks that is OK, Computer!only to be judged by the Forum's jukebox jury that you are overrated. Cheers guys. Next you'll be telling me that Dido is no goddess.

giggirl Wrote:

> HonaloochieB Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Janis Joplin, sreechy and needed a bath.

>

> Maybe, but wshat about passion? She wasn't afraid

> to pour emotion into her performance - no matter

> how raw the feelings were.

I think the passion is crucial in songs and singers exhibit it in different ways, but histrionics leave me cold, and that was all I got from JJ.

It's just personal opinion, CitizenEd... nobody is claiming their views are definitive.

I think a lot of people find Coldplay bland, dull, and mediocre. And possibly whiney, pretentious and overblown. Not enough talent and too much exposure.

Or something like that.

citizenED Wrote:

> But by Christ, you lot are so harsh - you write

> and perform an amazing, soulful, beautiful album

> such as Parachutes, packed with songs and sounds

> that could light the candles in a hundred churches

> or the electric, imaginative, dazzling portfolio

> of tracks that is OK, Computer!only to be judged

> by the Forum's jukebox jury that you are

> overrated. Cheers guys. Next you'll be telling me

> that Dido is no goddess.

Over-rated doesn't mean bad. For instance, I cited Nirvana, although I really liked them when they first appeared and still enjoy their work (in small doses), but they are clearly not as good as their legacy suggests.

Jimi Hendrix, he's another one, great guitarist, yes. Some good tunes, but for the most part pretty dull.

"Over-rated doesn't mean bad"

At last, someone understands.

AS it goes with Colplay I still wuite enjoy hearing the odd song from Parachutes appear on the radio, it's also connected with some good memories.

I really don't think Coldplay managed another good album and yet they remained the darlings of the media and more specifically the music press.

It's things like this that give rise to the dubious honour of being overrated. I think nirvanan nicely hit this thanks to a couple of great songs and an untimely suicide. Plus it still resonates with power to enyone in their youth at that time (I was perhaps a year or two too old for it to really resonate thus).

The Rolling Stones - not one good tune in forty odd years.

Led Zep - no concept of creativity whatsoever

Elvis - seen it all before

David Bowie - anyone can do that.

And what about that Mozart fella? Sure, you can hum some of 'em. But the rest? Nah. Too many notes..

etc

I'm not sure if a rating system as such can be applied to my own musical works, Jeremy.

I'd like to think of myself as surfing a fine line between 'nauseous' and 'complete drivel'.

Or - to put it another way, between Shayne Ward and Nickelback.

Jimi Hendrix, he's another one, great guitarist, yes. Some good tunes, but for the most part pretty dull.

So true there!

that Mozart fella? Sure, you can hum some of 'em. But the rest? Nah. Too many notes..

You've watched Amadeus haven't you?

I'm not sure if 'ratings' are realistic, or even applicable here.

For example, I can appreciate the fact the Keef may not 'rate' Pixies (perhaps on account of some debilitating childhood ear infection which left him incapable of being able to discern 'really really good music') but the fact that they are 'highly rated' by countless others means that they are in fact 'highly rated' - just, as it happens, not by Keef.

In fact, if you were to remove the word 'rate' from this thread, all that would remain would be a list of bands or artists admired by large swathes of the population - just, as it happens, not by you.