Highly overated bands....

????

Admittedly I wasn't considering the entire history of the label, more the typical "Motown sound" of Martha and the Vandellas, Four Tops, The Supremes, even 60s era Stevie Wonder. All that stuff is pretty hard to beat IMO!

Stuff like Wilson Pickett and Otis Redding doesn't really do it for me... great singers, but the material just seems a little pedestrian.

RosieH Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> I like the Bruce, Thunder Road's a particular

> favourite (you ain't a beauty but hey you're

> alright - nicely)

yep - Thunder Road is absolutley brilliant - the best Springsteen song I know - absolutley loved it in the 80's and will download it now.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MMhetitt9bI

Has anyone mentioned The White Stripes yet? I like Jolene though - I tend to sing along with that one when I've had a few.

Bon Jovi - goes without saying.

Blur - take this year's prize for "unwanted reunion" surely

Eminem (has he died?)

The Killers - I don't quite get them

Most of the so called "indie" bands that have been launched in the last few years. Unimaginative and pointless. The musical equivalent of reality television.

*Bob* Wrote:

> Is there really any point in declaring, eg, The

> Beatles are overrated? I mean - really?

LOL and thrice LOL...if you are saying they are then you've made my day because whenever this Subject has appeared on other Forums,inevitably, out of 500 responses ONE person will proffer "Les Beatles" and I thought good on this FINE fora no-one has done that here!

STEP FORWARD SIR "BOB":))

btw:Which one of their 350 ridiculously varied and (often) pioneering Songs did you not like or did you prefer what had gone b4 like Tommy Steele/Craig Douglas and Eden Kane?

I mean who could like "Something" or "She's Leaving Home" or "I Will" or "In My Life" or "If I Fell" or "Elenore Rigby" or "Here Comes The Sun" or "Got To Get You Into My Life" and the're still being played 40 years later(as Richard Lestor,The Director of Hard Days Night) predicted at the time.

In 40 years time we will still listen to "For No-One and "Here,There and Everywhere" and "Good Day Sunshine" and "Hey Jude" and.....you get the drift:))

I think you missed the point there TLS. The Beatles had already been proffered, and *Bob* was asking "what's the point of doing that?".

I grew up in a beatles household (more swapshop than tiswas sadly) and love alot of their stuff. But their output was far from flawless, especially much of their swansong period I actually can't stand. But *Bob*'s right, what's the point of coming out with they're overrated when Lennon/McCartney are almost universally held by songwriters to be the songwriters' songwriters.

ps I loved that bit in the prog docu when Cook from the Sex Pistols comes up to Phil Collins and whispers to him how much he loved his drumming in Genesis.

:))mockney piers Wrote:

> I think you missed the point there TLS. The

> Beatles had already been proffered, and *Bob* was

> asking "what's the point of doing that?".

>

> I grew up in a beatles household (more swapshop

> than tiswas sadly) and love alot of their stuff.

> But their output was far from flawless, especially

> much of their swansong period I actually can't

> stand. But *Bob*'s right, what's the point of

> coming out with they're overrated when

> Lennon/McCartney are almost universally held by

> songwriters to be the songwriters' songwriters.

>

> ps I loved that bit in the prog docu when Cook

> from the Sex Pistols comes up to Phil Collins and

> whispers to him how much he loved his drumming in

> Genesis.

I must admit I wasn't entirely certain what Sir Bob meant and I,wrongly,assumed that he ....blah,blah..

A Thousand Apologies to Sir Bob and a plague on the House who said it...I can't be assed to discover who.

Mockney:Of course there was some rubbish "Revolution 9" "Within/Without You" etc as well...

Interesting that you mention the Genesis Documentary because that made me feel quite sorry for myself in a way,I admit.

I saw the first ever "Top-Of-The-Bill" performance by Genesis in around '71/'72 at Croydon Greyhound(3,000 capacity) "Pub" and now I'm witnessing the end 35 years or so later.Full Circle.

Makes me aware of the fragility of my existence and yet(though I'm 54) I honestly feel like I'm 30 as I currently feel so energised and stimulated.

Life goes on,eh.

On the subject of the White Stripes, they definitely went through an overrated patch.

That said Elephant was a really good album, I liked alot of their earlier output, but they've gone off the boil a bit.

Their follow ups (and love his weird obsession with all things English) are far far from bad, but I think they're a prisoner of their own self-imposed constraints, and they could do with maybe trying something a bit different, they seem to have run out of ideas with what to do with their standard formula (probably why he went of Raconteuring I guess).

The White Stripes yet? I like Jolene though - I tend to sing along with that one when I've had a few.

Bon Jovi - goes without saying.

Blur - take this year's prize for "unwanted reunion" surely

Eminem (has he died?)

White stripes - With you there. Liked 7 Nation Army for the riff, but other than that... :-S

Bon Jovi - I wouldn't call them overated, I don't think they are that highly rated, more file under guilty pleasure. I like Livin on a prayer in the same way I like loads of 80s power ballads, just can't help singing along.

Blur - Not sure "unwanted reunion" is fair, being that they've sold out the gigs in a matter of minutes. That said, I liked them lots 10 years ago, don't think I'd rush to see them now. Would go if someone gave me a ticket though.

Eminem - Guess he's judt doing production at the mo, but I never really saw what all the fuss was about. A few really good powerful tracks, but a load of absolute toilet aswell!