Highly overated bands....

????

I concur with REM and for some reason I've got five of their albums. On each of them I perhaps like one or two tracks but really really can't listen to any of their output now and the same goes for U2, pure fucking hatred now and I saw them at ther Marquee Club back in 79/80 when they started and thought they were the nuts.

Also, all those miserable bastards:- Radiohead, Coldplay and to a certain extent The Smiths though at least they had a few tunes but I found most of it total miserable lonely student bedsit wank.

Did anyone mention The Verve? Turgid, droning, self-important nonsense.

Agree about The Cure - their best stuff was that early run of pop singles. Lovecats annd Inbetween Days - flashes of deranged pop genius in my opinion. Nothing has sounded anything like them since.

Oasis are absolute dross. A few good albums (Definitely Maybe, Whats The Story) when they sounded original in the mid nineties, then just carbon copies of exactly the same formula year in, year out with a slight variation on Liam's whining. Same with The Stereophonics/Bloc Party too, a couple of absolute belters then began churning out uninteresting rubbish.

But then, I'm a Coldplay fan and some might argue the same point with them!

Though I've been one of the Oasis detractors, in their defence I received Don't Believe the Truth as a bithday present from my mum (bless) a couple of years back, and it's actually not a half bad album.

Had it been written by someone else I'm sure it would have been a slow burner, word of mouth album, rather than slavishly bought up/studiously avoided.

It feels like it was written by people who?d remembered why they liked music as opposed to people trying to live up to their own over-inflated sense of self worth.

Some good ones mentioned here - The Doors, The Verve, Coldplay - all rubbish!

I'm tempted to question The Snorky about his hatred of The Clash, but I'm afraid it will start the age-old "Clash vs Sex Pistols" debate, and I don't want to get started on that one...

And Slash isn't fit to change the water in Tony Iommi's bong.

Surely you're pulling my leg? I love Black Sabbath, but Tony Iommi compared to Slash in terms of skill on the guitar, Slash wins hands down... And he's got all his fingers, which definitely helps!

The Verve were fecking awful, could never understand why Urban Hymns was so huge!

Yes, christ: nirvana must be the most overrated. Whereas Boston....

Cure underrated for sure.

keef - iommi might be limited, but his armoury of riffs could flatten a small city, sparing only women, children etc. Sweetleaf begins with the sound of the fingertipless one coughing back bong smoke. That's very metal. Wearing a top hat isn't.

taper Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Yes, christ: nirvana must be the most overrated.

> Whereas Boston....

>

> Cure underrated for sure.

>

> keef - iommi might be limited, but his armoury of

> riffs could flatten a small city, sparing only

> women, children etc. Sweetleaf begins with the

> sound of the fingertipless one coughing back bong

> smoke. That's very metal. Wearing a top hat isn't.

More than a feeeeelinnnnnnnnnnnnng!

Keef Wrote:

> We'll have to agree to disagree. Pretty much with

> you on Nirvana though, more specifically Cobain.

> Dave Grahl has gone on to better things with the

> Foo Fighters though.

Foo Fighters are rubbish now, they used to be sooo good. ESPG is rubbish

Jah Lush Wrote:

> The Verve. @#$%& yeah! Second album was half

> decent (History is a great track) but still had a

> load of filler and overbloated shite on it and

> rest of their output with Dickie Ashcroft's

> inflatable megolomaniacal ego to fore is just

> awful.

Ashcroft can be a complete t****r. I saw him at the Isle of Wight festival three years ago and he was mumbling on for what seemed like ages about not voting Blair cos of Iraq, but then not voting Tory either, and then on about politics and music not mixing... I think the whole audience were stood there thinking... "yes, we agree, now quit rambling and sing".. Not that he was that entertaining at that either, but at least better on that than the politics.

Thanks for reminding me Keef, The Foo Fighters, despite having a great drummer who is also the nicest man in rock, they lack a tune, a song an anything that makes them memorable.

Though I would like Dave Grohl to be my friend.

And I reckon he's nice enough to do it, despite the above.

The Foo fighters are kind of dull, saw them at the IOW festival too and I couldn't tell one song from the next.

Actually, that reminds me of another band that I can't get the appeal, Muse. I'd heard they were meant to be amazing live, but when I saw them at a festival I got so bored I wandered off to get the bus home rather than wait till they finished and join a longer queue.

Plenty of fancy lights and all that, but not exactly into engaging with the crowd... I prefer a bit more banter, bit more emotional connection (Ashcroft on politics aside... I'm a fussy sod!).

Keef Wrote:

> We'll have to agree to disagree. Pretty much with

> you on Nirvana though, more specifically Cobain.

> Dave Grahl has gone on to better things with the

> Foo Fighters though.

Keef,

I turned the other cheek when, with the new year still only about 5 minutes old, you took a pop at the Pixies. Obviously that was just the thin end of the wedge and now you venture to knock Nirvana. And this from a man who does Bon Jovi covers. Luckily for you my evening has been fuelled by several strawberry mojitos so I've already forgiven you. That's how big I am.

giggirl Wrote:

> And this from a man who does Bon Jovi covers.

Keef, you have to admit, she has you over a barrel there!!

For me, Kurt Cobain has one of the all time great rock voices. And Nevermind will surely remain a classic in 30 years time, ensuring they are revered in a similar way to Hendrix, The Ramones, and others. OK this is partly down to the image/attitude/legacy - and admittedly they are very simplistic - but they have some belting songs and an undeniable appeal.

Foo Fighters... well... I reckon they've had some good singles. "This Is A Call" and "Everlong" spring to mind. But their albums are usually unlistenably dull, just full of plodding filler. After 15 years, they probably have just enough material for a decent "best of" album.

Can we agree that Nevermind is one of those classicsnever get listened to anymore?

For all the talk of Butch Vig's commercial production compared to the first album, I find it all very sludgy to listen to. All of the songs are etched forever in my brain I listened to it so much at the time. All of this may change if I download them to play on Rock Band however

Am I also alone in thinking that U2's albums up until Achtung Baby left me cold and that I pretty much only like that, parts of Pop and parts of Passengers - then they went all normal again and I lost interest. Decent live tho...