Working from home - Lunch Monotony

phattmatt

*Bob*, Sainsburys offer a pack of 4 Bird's Eye Beef and Onion pies for ?2.50. That comes well within your price range per pie. Supplementary cost is only a few potatoes, that you mash all up on Monday, and eat up through the week. (Handy tip, using an ice cream scoop to serve produces a really nice effect on the mash)

To complete the pie shop sensory experience, get two radios. Tune one radio to Magic FM, another to TalkSport, and turn the volume up.

Bob / Ted Max

There is nothing in this world that can beat the experience of Manzies Pie and Mash, and I saw one big builder in there recently who ordered 3 pie 3 mash ... now that was a snack for him I can tell you

Don't dilute the concept by shopping in a supermarket, eat out locally and enjoy not only the food but the stimulating atmosphere as well of a proper south london eating establishment.

Corned beef and Branston pickle on crusty white bread.

Beef should be be sliced about 3mm thick, 31/2 maximum.

Bread should be a sliced 10 to 11mm.

The Branston should be just the right amount.

Not too little. not too much.

You know, just in the groove.

Ideally should be eaten while wearing something Fair Isle.

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Corned beef and Branston pickle on crusty white

> bread.

> Beef should be be sliced about 3mm thick, 31/2

> maximum.

> Bread should be a sliced 10 to 11mm.

>

> Is it necessary to purchase a spirit-level before

> attempting this particular creation?

The bread and meat must be precise DPF, but with the Branston you can be freewheelin' like Bob Dylan.

Ted Max Wrote:

> Actually, looking at that, you can have "1 pie 2

> mash for 2.95", or "pie 2 mash for 4.10".

>

> I'm worried now. What's in "pie" that isn't in "1

> pie" to justify the premium?

i think that the ?4.10 option is for 2 pie 2 mash, but the first 2 has fallen off

HP Sauce is good, but Branston Fruity sauce even better!

I prefer my corned beef ready sliced at the supermarket (oddly, EDD seem not to stock it...), as corned beef cans and their keys never agree with me....

And Aran is just as good as Fair Isle dammit!

SimonM Wrote:

> HP Sauce is good, but Branston Fruity sauce even

> better!

>

> I prefer my corned beef ready sliced at the

> supermarket (oddly, EDD seem not to stock it...),

> as corned beef cans and their keys never agree

> with me....

>

> And Aran is just as good as Fair Isle dammit!

And what fresh madness is this?

I am a great fan of Branston Fruity, truly. My son, my sister and I have almost come to blows around the family table, when 'hogging' was suspected, so much so that my mother keeps at least four bottles on standby in case we all happen to be in her kitchen at the same time.

BUT, sauce, and pay attention above AppleSpider is not what one puts on a cold meat sandwich.

The HP and Branston Fruity sauces are for the hot meat sandwich - sausage, bacon or...actually it's just sausage or bacon.

Branston Fruity is just about allowable on a fried egg sandwich, but only a smear, in an emergency and only for those without the nous to know that Heinz Tomato Ketchup is the most appropriate condiment for the occasion.

Oh and if you find yourself with a bacon sandwich, without HP sauce, then of course feel free to coat one slice of bread with Heinz Tomato Ketchup and the other with a good dose of Coleman's English Mustard.

If you don't have either, then bin the meat and bread. Seriously, don't do that to yourself.

And if anyone butters the bread for the above sanwiches...,what??????

SimonM Wrote:

> HP Sauce is good, but Branston Fruity sauce even

> better!

>

> I prefer my corned beef ready sliced at the

> supermarket (oddly, EDD seem not to stock it...),

> as corned beef cans and their keys never agree

> with me....

>

> And Aran is just as good as Fair Isle dammit!

Simon, cop yourself on man, nothing camouflages the drippings of a possibly unstable sandwich like Fair Isle.

It's so forgiving.

Re Dogs on Toast - try hotdog buns, keep them in the freezer and defrost when wanted, add the hotdogs and heat up a can of ready made chili (unless you have your own home-made) top the hotdog with it, and then add, preferably, chopped raw onions (or fried) and French's American mustard, available from Sainsburys. This is called a chili dog generally, although sometimes a Coney Island.

Grilled cheese sandwich - butter entire outside of sliced bread, inside bread place strong cheddar, sliced, and add fillings of your choice, if wanted, including, sliced tomato, sliced onion, and salt and pepper. Cook on each buttered side in non-stick pan for approximately 2 minutes at medium high heat. Keep flipping over to check brownness. They should be golden to light brown.

I also recommend Branston Hot Chili and Jalepeno Relish in a squeezy bottle. Goes well with cheese.

Prawns - buy pack of pink one from Sainsburys, heat olive oil in pan, add garlic, then prawns, toss until heated through, then squeeze over some lemon juice.

cate Wrote:

> Re Dogs on Toast - try hotdog buns, keep them in

> the freezer and defrost when wanted, add the

> hotdogs and heat up a can of ready made chili

> (unless you have your own home-made) top the

> hotdog with it, and then add, preferably, chopped

> raw onions (or fried) and French's Amerian

> mustard, available from Sainsburys. This is

> called a chili dog generally, although sometimes a

> Coney Island.

Yes... I actually spent a considerable amount of effort trying to find one of these in New York recently, but my efforts were in vain. Although admittedly I did not venture onto Coney Island (I understand nothing is open there in winter... or any time of year these days).

Coney Islands originated in Cincinnati, Ohio as there is a Coney Island there. They spread round the Midwest, with a lot of Coney Island diner in Detroit, run by Greek immigrant. Try to find all beef hotdogs, especially the Hebrew National Ones. The Chicago area has a lot of good hotdog places, and a good chain called Portillos.