con woman

Jacbuc

Yep, I got scammed in Aura Court on peckham Rye about 3 years ago. Sounds like the same woman, and I flet so sorry for her - she was very distressed. Only after I gave her the money did I realise that none of the flats in Aura Court have electricity meters!! I felt so stupid, and sick to my stomach that someone can act so bloody well to scam you out of your money and also make you feel so sorry for them.

Eliza.D Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm not suggesting at all that this is the same

> lady but i'll share this story with you.

> About 9 years ago my dad had been visiting my Nan

> in Streathham. As he came out of her house he was

> approached by 2 women who asked him for some money

> for a cab. They said that one of the womens young

> son was alone at home and the electricity would

> run out soon.They were very plausable.

> He asked them where they lived and they said it

> was in Dulwich, as he was driving back to Dulwich

> he said he would drive them to the address.

> They got in the car and on the way they asked if

> he could stop at a petrol station so they could

> get the electricity card charged.

> One got out and went into the petrol station. When

> she came back the second asked if he could drop

> her off further down Christchurch Rd.

> When he stopped the car the one in the back got

> out. The one in the front demanded money from him.

> He of course said no. She lunged at him and pulled

> out a stanely knife and slashed at his hands. He

> fought her off.

> He had to have surgery to repair the damaged

> tendons in his hands.

> Whilst in hospital he gave a detailed description

> to the police and told them to go to the petrol

> station and recover the cc tv camers film. By the

> time the police went to the petrol station the

> film had been filmed over.

> The women who did this were never caught.

This is horrifying!

Unfortunately I feel victim to hear scam.

Usual story, she needed to charge meter key, husband will pay me back as soon as he gets in. I gave her about ?3.50.

I felt so stupid, as where she said she lived I knew I had not seen her before and the flats did not have meters. Felt too embarrased to tell anyone because I felt stupid that she had managed to con me.

My advice would be to tell her to wait at the door while you get ?20 from your wallet, then call 999 while she is waiting.

The 5ft 3 description is about right, with short hair, west indian and about mid-late 30's.

I'm not sure why anyone is defending her behaviour. Someone who deliberately cons people out of money, in my books, cannot be mentally ill. Fair enough if she was just going around telling this story to find someone to talk with, but she is doing this for financial gain, and this wrong, there is no two ways about this.

My kids had come to the door, which upsets me even more because she didn't think she would be stealing from them too.

This happened just over 3 years ago. And no I am not stressing over this, just stumbled across this forum and thought I would add what happened to me.

When the World was young when I was in my 20's/30's possibly even 40's cossetted in my naive, idealistic little World I would have viewed this differently to now.

Now, after decades of meeting ass++les of varying description and hue, who destroy ones faith in the good nature of many people, I despise people like this.

Simply taking advantage of the many good folk who have been conned, which, in turn makes the victims more cyincal(often and understandably) and much less lkely to be bitten twice.

The losers are the needy who may not be helped thanks to poeople like this.

As long as these scammers aren't violent or frightening they really don't bother me. I don't mind throwing the occasional fiver their way at all.

Dont you think that by throwing them a fiver their way, it is encouraging them to keep doing it. As i said before if they came up to me i would ask why they hadnt phoned a relative/friend to help them.

I'm sorry but if being conned out of ?1 to ?5 by some pathetic woman causes such a lasting damage to your psyche that you are still whingeing about it three years later - then all I can say is lucky you to have had such a trauma-free life that something so trivial is of so much significance to you. Oh and take some responsibility while you're at it: I think we all know that in this day and age it is downright stupid to open our doors to total strangers - especially those who are behaving oddly. That said, I've fallen victim to these sorts of con artists from time to time over the years. But so what? It effect on my life overall is negligible and I can actually laugh at the fact I've been "had" and try not to be so stupid in future.

The person whose father was knifed by some nutter scam artist is a whole other story and I was appalled by what happened to her father. But those of you who were naive enough to give this con artist a few pound coins when she pitched her silly story at you - get over it already!! Find something more meaningful to get your knickers in a twist about.

She came to our house the other night (must have been after 10pm as I was already in bed). EDdaddy being very familiar with this thread, told her that she did not come from "number 71" and she walked away saying "whatever!". The more people who know about her, the less likely she is to offend I think. Why aren't the police putting leaflets through the door warning people?

EXACTLY the same women who did the same thing to us last summer, but I do remember getting a Victim Support letter from the police towards the end of last year to say that she had been arrested and taken to court. She is obviously mentally very ill to keep on doing exactly the same thing in exactly the same area.

I was telling a friend about this lady and she informed me of other scams going round by a group of men.

These were operating in the Crystal Palace Road area and Forest Hill Road. In one case they call and say they are damp course surveyors and that they had been in your neighbours property and noticed damp coming from your adjoining wall.

Since the job was small there was no need to call your surveyor/building society/insurance, they would do the job for cash.

My friend also go conned out of ?300 for fencing that never arrived by men pretending to work on the adjoining property. they had duped her sick husband a few days earlier in letting them into their garden in CP Rd as they were doing work on the garden which backed on to theirs. Husband had agreed that the fencing needed to be done and asked for a written estimate. They came back on a Sunday afternoon to the wife and demanded the money. As an elderly woman she was worried about their attitude and went over to the cash point, to draw out money. Next day gets a phone call from an alleged timber yard saying that they had been trying to deliver fencing, but no one answering door. Did 1471 got a blocked number.

Realised that she had been done so rang the police. Following interviews with police advised that if these men turned up again, keep them talking or distracted and dial 999.

Let's say that sombody genuinely approaches you with a story about the electric meter key, do you?

1) Scream and slam the door in her face

2) Club her over the head with a baseball bat (I always keep one by the front door)

3) Make a citizens arrest

4) Say that you will lend the money, close the frontdoor and call the Police

Not sure which one I would choose, but it is a bit of a dilemma.

PS Could sombody workout howmuch money she has conned from the people of this forum, it would make a good stat.

FelicityNormal Wrote:

> I'm sorry but if being conned out of ?1 to ?5 by

> some pathetic woman causes such a lasting damage

> to your psyche that you are still whingeing about

> it three years later

Are you sure you're not this lady? Especially as you have wrote normal in your user name, irony being you are far from normal.

You didn't really read my message through thouroughly, did you? You would have noticed that I pointed out I was purely confirming other peoples stories about this lady.

Why don't you stop annoying everyone? I'm not quite sure why you bother posting. It is people with attitudes like yours that make people, in particular the elderly, too ashamed to go to the police about being conned.

I am just bewildered as to why you are on this forum trying to wind everyone up. Find something more constructive to do with your time.

P.S. Don't bother posting a response because I'm not interested.

Ebony Wrote:

> FelicityNormal Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > I'm sorry but if being conned out of ?1 to ?5

> by

> > some pathetic woman causes such a lasting

> damage

> > to your psyche that you are still whingeing

> about

> > it three years later

>

> Are you sure you're not this lady? Especially as

> you have wrote normal in your user name, irony

> being you are far from normal.

>

> You didn't really read my message through

> thouroughly, did you? You would have noticed that

> I pointed out I was purely confirming other

> peoples stories about this lady.

>

> Why don't you stop annoying everyone? I'm not

> quite sure why you bother posting. It is people

> with attitudes like yours that make people, in

> particular the elderly, too ashamed to go to the

> police about being conned.

>

> I am just bewildered as to why you are on this

> forum trying to wind everyone up. Find something

> more constructive to do with your time.

>

> P.S. Don't bother posting a response because I'm

> not interested.

Get over yourself love.

if you do not know said person it would definitely not be a good idea to let them into your house. I'd either tell them that unfortunately I can't help them. Or if they were especially convincing I guess I might give them a fiver.

The reality is that we live in south london, it's 2009 and sadly the days of trusting strangers who come to your front door are long gone, just as the days of being able to safely leave our doors unlocked are long gone.

Also if somebody's out of electricity how likely is it that they'd have so few friends or family that they'd need to resort to knocking on a stranger's door? it is possible but it is far from likely.

Mikecg Wrote:

> Let's say that sombody genuinely approaches you

> with a story about the electric meter key, do

> you?

>

> 1) Scream and slam the door in her face

> 2) Club her over the head with a baseball bat (I

> always keep one by the front door)

> 3) Make a citizens arrest

> 4) Say that you will lend the money, close the

> frontdoor and call the Police

>

> Not sure which one I would choose, but it is a bit

> of a dilemma.

>

> PS Could sombody workout howmuch money she has

> conned from the people of this forum, it would

> make a good stat.

1) Scream and slam the door in her face

2) Club her over the head with a baseball bat (I always keep one by the front door)

3) Make a citizens arrest

4) Say that you will lend the money, close the frontdoor and call the Police

as i said earlier i would ask why they were asking a stranger and not calling a friend/relative to help them out

Honestly, what a bunch of idiots.

If she knocks on the door, say ooh, oh dear etc at all the right bits, tell her to wait on the door step while you go and get your wallet, shut the door and go and get your camera, stich flash on , open door and bam.

Last you will ever see of her.

Failing that, punch her in the gob.

Having fallen for a similar scam, it's really couple of quid lost and maybe a life lesson gained in return. But the next time someone with a genuine need approaches me, they probably won't get the time of day. And that's a shame. :'(

I agree it is a shame. But it's definitely not the end of the world. Loz Wrote:

> Having fallen for a similar scam, it's really

> couple of quid lost and maybe a life lesson gained

> in return. But the next time someone with a

> genuine need approaches me, they probably won't

> get the time of day. And that's a shame. :'(

Agree. All this hysteria is just hilarious!

TJ Wrote:

> Honestly, what a bunch of idiots.

> If she knocks on the door, say ooh, oh dear etc at

> all the right bits, tell her to wait on the door

> step while you go and get your wallet, shut the

> door and go and get your camera, stich flash on ,

> open door and bam.

>

> Last you will ever see of her.

>

> Failing that, punch her in the gob.