The worst meal you could get is at Dulwich the Plough

Tania350

The Plough is owned by Mitchell & Butler, part of their "Castle" range of pubs, that includes the Crown & Greyhound, the Phoenix at Denmark Hill, Southwark Tavern, Gipsy Moth in Greenwich and numerous other locations across London.

They're all pretty hit and miss at doing food, it's not just the Plough (but I agree it's bad). Sometimes you get lucky, and it's great. A lot of the time, it isn't.

This has all been re-hashed many times, but basically the chef has very little control over the food they serve as it's planned centrally. All the pubs in this chain suffer from it.

The drinks are normally good though!

what haruki said - I've said it many times

Complaining in person is going to get you nowhere - the manager has little control over the keeetchin and none over the centrally controlled food

Using a public forum at least provides a service in warning others (although me and many others repeatedly doing so over the years doesn't seem to be warning enough)

I have emailed M&B central as well and received stock reply - they aren't INTERESTED in serving decent food. They are interested in charging as much as possible for shoddy grub to keep shareholders happy (and even that doesn't happen very often in their case)

Been going there on a Friday night, whilst daughter is at Brownies. Maybe that's their peak performance slot, but we've been very happy with the food. Had the burger a couple of times and the whitebait. I'd say it's the same as most of the pubs in the west end - that sort of standard. About the same as a Slug and Lettuce / All Bar One kind of thing. As I say, we've been very happy.

I've pretty well given up eating in 'pubs' because of the above. I don't drink in pubs anymore either because of the food everywhere thing. I used to come home smelling of fags, now it's more likely to be of gravy and pies - ew !

Tho weirdly, when the out-laws come, we end up in somewhere like The Greyhound

I'm making exceptions for places like The Camberwell Arms, because it's less a pub, more of a dining room

I can easily go without 2 cark meals at Pub Co type places, and miss the blo*dy kindergarten without a blink

I applogise if it's your kids, but done that and moved on

NewWave Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> We've eaten at the Crown and Greyhound a few times

> and always enjoyed it and we are pretty fussy

> about the food we eat.

> The Dartmouth Arms in FH which people seem to rate

> we only ate in once because it was pretty grim

> when we ate

Can't comment on The Dog as it's been years, but have to agree about the Dartmouth, never understood the hype, food not great and the place just feels cold.

LondonMix Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I use to go to their pub quiz and while it was

> lots of fun, I quickly realised the food there is

> totally inedible. We are a group of 6 that pub

> quiz together and no one could stomach their food

> so unfortunately the comment is true.

what a load of moans which is damn right wrong and unjust as the plough are great with really nice staff and local food is also very good

Archived