On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

I fully back Rafa as do 99% of my match going mates, along with the vast majority of those surrounding me at the back of the Kop last night.

Can't be arsed to go in to detail on here though Mick. Will only result in the usual mud slinging "deluded scousers" or "why aren't you backing your team?" malarkey.

You going tomorrow? My mate has been desperatley trying to get her hands on a ticket. We can sometimes get corporate tickets through work, so she cheekily asked. Always the way, she got sorted through work and then got offered one in the away end.

good to see you survived quids. Anna im not going as no tickets available that i could find. Im sure i may have been able to get an arsenal ticket through work but could not bear to be there if we get embarrassed. 2 goals is too much i imagine.

Interesting what you say about Kop support for Rafa Anna. At the end of the day, he won the champs league, which probably gives him another couple of years grace. He also has the Americans to take a lot of the fans aggression away from him. However, eventually patience will run out... I personally don't want "Rafa out", but at the same time, wouldn't be overly upset if he did go, if we got a more positive minded manager in his place.

Come on Anna, no mudslinging from me if that makes a difference. I'm genuinely interested in your thoughts.

As for last night, hit the clubs in their pockets I say. Either a ban or make them play games behind closed doors. My dad never took me to a game in the late seventies and eighties because he was frightened what might happen to us and it makes me sad to think that there might be another generation of kids who will miss out on live football because of a handful of idiots.

Quids, I'm glad you escaped and I'm glad you didn't feel the need to join in.

All being said, it did look an memorable atmosphere ie I bet anyone that went will remember it. If they could just bottle the passion, without the violence.

My thoughts on Rafa is that bottom line he is still outperforming when you compare the amount of money he has been given to other managers/clubs. We should be about 4th 5th, basically on a level with Spurs or someone like that. We are generally considered better than that, and last year weren't far away at all. Plus, I don't think anyone else would do any better. At least in Rafa we have a manager that understands the fans and genuinely likes the area and mentality of scousers. ie he gets and likes us, as a breed.

I would rather have him where we are and being true to the club, than take the risk of anyone else, even if they then later turned out to be more successful.

I am pleased to have Glen Johnson at the club, and don't know much about this new sicknote we have. BUT, did we really need Johnson, or would that money have been better spent getting a player who would really give us a new dimension? That said, Johnson is good going forward.

Piers, you know I'm only playing with ya... It's just those yellow "towers" at the front of Upton Park that make me laugh, as they look like lego.

Lard, do you not think he could do better with the money?

Reina, Gerrard and Torres are three examples of world class - i.e. top ten, if not top five in their position in the world - players in my opinion. Aside from the Robbie Keane debacle, which was inexplicable, there must be better business out there than Deggen or Ngog or the new Greek fella.

I think the stuff that happened in the ground has been pretty overplayed - yes of course pitch invasions are wrong and we'll get the book thrown at us but actual violence or just a load of idiots, including some embarrasingly fat ones, running on the pitch and then not knowing what to do...may look dramatic but actually not much 'violence' and I haven't heard much reference tio the fact that most of the ground was booing the idiots and chanting "off, off" which you can just about hear on the coverage clips.

Outside a different matter - I think it's intersting that the bloke who got stabbed and the other one in hospital are both in their 40s, this game like all the big needle derbys does bring out a load of pond life who have stopped going

(BTW The fact thet I'm in my 40s and this was my first game this year is just coincidental!)

There's a player on the pitch whose dad died on Sunday and I think one of the Millwall players is struggling against testicular cancer - those are the proper challenges that people face not acting like you're an extra in a pathetic hooligan film

Until you mentioned that I'd forgotten I had the same initial thought

As to whether this is a sign that hooliganism is starting up again - I doubt it

I was there in 2005 when Milwall last came to West Ham and the scenes that day were pretty grim as well - the sky on the street I was on was black with missiles and a genuine atmosphere of grim violence - but it wasn't the precursor to anything

But if they end up playing against each other in the future the authoratays are going to be veerrrrry visible

Sandperson Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Lard, do you not think he could do better with the

> money?

>

> Reina, Gerrard and Torres are three examples of

> world class - i.e. top ten, if not top five in

> their position in the world - players in my

> opinion. Aside from the Robbie Keane debacle,

> which was inexplicable, there must be better

> business out there than Deggen or Ngog or the new

> Greek fella.

The Robbie "debacle" shows that he had to recoup money on what he thought was a player that wasn't going to work out.

Deggen Ngog and the Greek fella less than 5mill in total. Just goes to show how little he has to build a squad with.

Which 3 players would you have bought for that kind of money?

As a comparison, the Utd gambles are Nani, Anderson etc. - 18mill each. Meester Ferguson can afford to do that because he a)has more money to spend and b)had a better squad to start with, so can pick individual targets.

If Rafa had paid 18mill for a player and played him as infrequently as Nani and Anderson, then it would be mentioned every single game.

???? Wrote:

>

>

> (BTW The fact thet I'm in my 40s and this was my

> first game this year is just coincidental!)

>

If you're being honest, you went because you knew it would be precisely how it was.

I'm not sure who I would have bought that's why I was interested to hear what Liverpool fans had to say. I'm still sure there's better business out there than Aquilani (who could end up costing you ?19M, is in his mid-20's and is crocked) and United have only tended to buy one or two players for that sort of money in a season and even then, not every season until recent years.

Look at this summer where we have spent (comparatively) very little. We are visctims of our own success in some ways as prices are automatically increased by out interest in a player.

lard Wrote:

> ???? Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> >

> >

>

> > (BTW The fact thet I'm in my 40s and this was

> my

> > first game this year is just coincidental!)

> >

>

> If you're being honest, you went because you knew

> it would be precisely how it was.

There is a tiny grain of truth in that...and the fact that it was Millwall did appeal to some tribal bit of me from the past only in terms of "I should be there" not to get involved in anything...which is a bit sad I guess. And, I have said on here before that occasionally I 'think' I miss those scary saturdays in crappy old grounds - but that was a long time ago, I'd like to take my kids to football and even have a beer with opposing fans which is at least becoming more commonplace. People died because of all that nonsense in the past and the pathetic, postured hatred of last night....nope. Shite...I mean the Millwall fans I've met at the EDF drinks have even been nice people!