On the Ball (new Football Focus)

matthew123

For Haifa you'd have to go via Tel Aviv which is 90Km away, be near ?400 if it's in September having taking a look at Opodo website.. and about ?150 if Matchday 6 (in December) but obviously you'd still expect good weather.

For those wondering where Haifa is, here it is on the map relative to Europe. Actually I think they have to play their home games further south in Tel Aviv as it's within striking distance of Hezbollah rocket attacks in Lebanon... Hmmm may have to give this one a miss!

View Larger Map

Annasfield Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm thinking about the trip MM. Would be nice to

> avoid Madrid as I have already been there this

> year. In a way i'm glad I didn't go to the

> Calderon when we played Atletico now.

>

> Chances are we'll draw them again too.

Sorry Anna - I keep forgetting you are an active fan as opposed to a TV fan like myself.

matthew123 Wrote:

> Looks quite a strong group stage this season.

> Standard Liege, Atletico Madrid and Inter Milan

> could form one group with an English team.

>

> http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/news/kind=1/n

> ewsid=878126.html

I'd be happy to predict Matt that the top 2 will go through in at least 6 of the 8 groups. Its not a stronger group stage this year by virtue of the change of system whereby they have let in a number of teams who are further down the Uefa rankings. Check out the uefa coefficients of some of the tier 4 teams, they are very low.

The top two will be strong in all groups and should ensure some good matches but in the end they will go through. I'd like to see Ronaldo back in England getting kicked about at MU or Liverpool, that would be good.

Not even when Liverpool has just 1 point from first 3 games two seasons ago? I thought that was very exciting as first we had to beat Beskitas, which we did 8-0, then we had to beat Porto, which we did 4-1, then we had to visit the Med and beat Marseille which we did 4-0 in their own backyard. Or how about when United got kicked out of Group stage few years back by Lille?

That's fine for the well off middle class supporters who can afford to take time off and travel to those countries for the games Matthew but what about the less well off. It would be taking away from the grassroots of the game. What you're proposing is a European Super League. I guess it'll happen eventually but only the rich will be able to afford to go to those matches and rest of us will have to pay-per-view or watch it down the pub.

Tony.London Suburbs Wrote:

I agree. Should just abolish small Clubs altogether and Non-League and Amateur and Sunday Leagues, oh! and any Park Football...I mean whats the bally point?

Its like me. I'm in a real dilemma who to support this year.

It "was" going to be Liverpool but they look ropey. I had discounted ManU but after their last result I'm re-considering so, currently, I'm torn between Arsenal, Chelsea ( obviously), ManU and Spurs ( just in case "Xmas" lasts until April).

I'll keep you posted on what I decide but it won't be a small Club.

The're just a waste of space.

"Wastemen," innit...

It's not a case of Clubs thinking they're too big for the PL rather a case of other clubs being too small for the Premiership. Why should we stop foreign Clubs competing in PL - it strikes me as little Britain mentality. No we should remember Football is about entertainment not a charity event for Clubs that don't even try to play Football. What is the Stoke long throw all about, or Hull keeping the grass long? Crikey it's the 21st century!

This isn't about people being able to afford a trip to Amsterdam or Madrid, as it's usually cheaper than a visit to the North East, this is about creme da le creme... okay maybe not as I also did put a place at the big table for West Ham ;-)

Jah Lush Wrote:

> Tut tut Tony you forgot Man City.

Never forgiven then for ruining the :

Summerbee/Bell/Lee/Young/Coleman Forward Line by bringing Rodney Marsh in when they were top of the League until March.

I supported them 'til March but had to change my allegiance once the results went pear-shaped, with Rod's disruption.

Support them now? I'm not that fickle.

I'll see how many other signings Citah make and if there god form continues b4 making a final decision.

Have to agree though about these small Clubs, if I had my way everyone would support the "Big 4/5/6" from Truro to Tynemouth and from Looe to Lowestoft....