What is the Dulwich Estate doing to our pubs?

• 1 month later...

According to the latest Dulwich estate newsletter:

HALF MOON will be redeveloped as a pub/hotel

CROWN & GREYHOUND refurbishment has been delayed but opening as pub/hotel in 2016

GROVE TAVERN - little prospect of it reopening as a pub, the estate would like to redevelop it as a mix of commercial and residential units.

http://www.dulwichestate.co.uk/docs/general/dulwich-estate-bulletin-issue3.pdf

Well it's actually very disruptive, not just to locals such as myself, but also to the businesses locally who struggle with the high rents. The Dog is a major attraction and neighbouring (this spell check is American you know)shops benefit hugely from it being open and suffer when it is closed for long periods such as this. Is it any coincidence that Shepards have had to sell out to Sainsbury's?

It is of course very easy to criticise the Dulwich Estate but they really should get their act together on this and the Half Moon, and the Grove. It is having an adverse effect at all of these locations, although I think most of all in the Village, and you do wonder what the Charity Commissioners are thinking allowing this sort of thing to continue.

That's the whole point. They are not doing their job, which is to maximise their revenues, by letting the pub stay empty for a couple of years, longer with the Grove. What is the real cost to the Estate of this seemingly disjointed approach to the management of their assets?

Or, perhaps, they are doing their job. A pub with vacant possession may appreciate in value far more than any rental income it could generate. This would allow DE to sell off unencumbered properties to developers when their market value is highest. Not pretty, not socially-minded but welcome to free market economics.

Mugglesworth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Or, perhaps, they are doing their job. A pub with

> vacant possession may appreciate in value far more

> than any rental income it could generate. This

> would allow DE to sell off unencumbered properties

> to developers when their market value is highest.

> Not pretty, not socially-minded but welcome to

> free market economics.

I'm doing the same with an inherited house (not my choice).

So are the Chinese with half of central London.

But an empty house is horrible really - same as an empty pub.

I doubt very much if The Grove Tavern could ever sustain itself as a Pub or Pub/Restaurant in todays climate.

Its simply in the wrong place. Was ok back in the day when drink driving was a lot more relaxed.

Which explains why there is car parking for 80+ ? cars.

The Crown & Greyhound (Once two pubs) Could possible survive as a Pub..

I'm not too sure who would stay there if it became a hotel. Too far from central London ??

..and a bit isolated with poor transport links.

The Half Moon was always a popular Pub and good Music Venue. (Steve Waller. God bless him)

It has better transport links with a Train Station.

Not sure about it being a Hotel.. Perhaps in Victorian times with the coming of the Steam Railway.

DulwichFox

"The Crown & Greyhound (Once two pubs) Could possible survive as a Pub..

I'm not too sure who would stay there if it became a hotel. Too far from central London ??

..and a bit isolated with poor transport links."

It will be popular with those visiting from outside London, come to see their grown up children and grand-children. I think it's a lovely spot for a hotel, North Dulwich station just up the road.

Mugglesworth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Or, perhaps, they are doing their job. A pub with

> vacant possession may appreciate in value far more

> than any rental income it could generate. This

> would allow DE to sell off unencumbered properties

> to developers when their market value is highest.

> Not pretty, not socially-minded but welcome to

> free market economics.

Exactly this. It does stick in the craw that they have charitable status and enjoy tax breaks though. The criteria for awarding charitable status really ought to be overhauled.