Russell Brand summed up nicely.....

????

was she the journo? she was the star of the night.

Thought the tory came across quite well as it went.

But then she seems to have come from the real world and ended up in a department where she has hands on and expertise.

And showed no sing of punch and judiness thus undermining much of the audiences' ire and RB & NF cheap point scoring on the establishment.

I've often thgouht if we can make westminster 75% female it'll run better, but to be honest it's not a male female thing, its a grown up not grown up thing, and over privileged public school types carrying on their old boys network doesn nobody any favours, except each other *does weird rolled up leg handshake*

Jeremy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> JL/?? - absolutely, he was out of his depth.

> Farage is a politician, an accomplished debater.

> Brand is a comedian. Wrong man for the job.

While my son was watching it I was half listening. Did he not use in his 'defence' a couple of times that he was only a comedian?

Alan Medic Wrote:

> Jeremy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > JL/?? - absolutely, he was out of his depth.

> > Farage is a politician, an accomplished

> debater.

> > Brand is a comedian. Wrong man for the job.

>

> While my son was watching it I was half listening.

> Did he not use in his 'defence' a couple of times

> that he was only a comedian?

He said it several times, I gave up counting.... He also said "I'm not a campaigner, I'm a comedian" even though it came up on screen "Russell Brand - campaigner and comedian".... He'd make a good politician - he's a self-deluded liar in that he's not funny...

To be fair to Brand, QT has often thrown a half intelligent celeb in to the mix. I remember seeing Will Young on there once and he spoke pretty well.

Brand may have been better off being introduced as "comedian" rather than "comedian and campaigner" because other than that housing estate, he hasn't really campaigned about anything specific.

cartoon with a thesaurus.

(one of the unkinder comments I spotted after one of my FB friends 'liked' his response to being on QT. Its all a load of drivel. I started reading it but found the initial comments about farage drinking too much unfair, as anyone who has suffered from an addiction should understand. I used to find Brand a teeny bit annoying, then I thought he was oh-kay for a while, now I find him completely and utterly unbearable).

???? Wrote:

> The map is a simplification though, there are some

> more micro factors

>

> ie my undesrtanding is that in Rural eastern

> areas there are not many immigrants per se BUT EU

> immigrants are heavily involved in industries,

> such as agriculture, as cheap labour

>

> and down at heel seaside towns in the SE do have

> relatively large EU populations in smaller

> traditionaly small c Conservative towns.

>

> At an aggregate levels these are lost on the

> map.

>

> And the Welsh and Cornish have always been inward

> looking bigots anyway :), I susppect if there was

> a 'I hate the english party' in those two places

> they colours would be even darker

nail on head, as ever quidsy.

El Pibe Wrote:

> That does make perfect sense really. It's about

> perception isn't it. Where immigrant percentages

> are low there will be a greater perception that

> you homogeneity is under threat.

I'd agree with that too. Mostly people are surprised that people with areas of low immigrant populations are against them but its the threat to the status quo that must be a factor?

Anyway, I realise that I am talking to myself on this thread but I just want to say, I am quite surprised at the stereotyping being perpetuated....so its okay to call people from Norfolk inbred halfwits (with webbed feet), is it? Nice.

I don't always like what Billy Bragg says, but thought he was spot on about this.

"BBC Question Time was more like a panto than a sensible discussion last night and I don't think any of the participants came over very well, not even Dimbleby. The low point for me was when the guy in the audience told Russell Brand to either stand for election or shut up about inequality. That's a classic tactic for closing down debate and I was disappointed that Brand didn't respond by telling him that politics is far too important to be left to politicians"

It's also a way of saying only politicians should have opinion, and we all know what kind of government that leads too. I thought that guy in the audience was a bully to be honest and yes I think Brand should have pointed out that most of the people that campaign for and drive change are ordinary people, not those in power.

• 6 months later...

tee hee, fantastic C&P from Guardian Comments today - in response to an asolute dires piece of shite by Frankie Boyle

Oh people of Britain how blessed are we. Not only are we favoured by the deep profundity of Russell Brand, but we can also luxuriate in the world-class intellect of Frankie Boyle. I think I now know how the ancient Greeks must have felt to have Plato and Aristotle walk amongst them. But which of our modern day intellectual colossi can lay greater claim to the wisdom of the ancients?

Given the transcendental wisdom of this piece clearly Frankie should be our source of knowledge on geopolitical and strategic matters; but Russell confounded us all during the election campaign with his deep socio-political and economic insights. It's like comparing Clausewitz and Sun Tsu on war; or Newton and Einstein on physics.

In my view, Britain, it is impossible to choose - just rejoice that we live in a time that we can not only consult these intellectual giants, but also turn to Owen and Polly for further clarification if their thinking becomes too profound for us to follow.

Jeremy Wrote:

> I wonder if RB has ever seen Team America?

>

> "But America.. and the corporations... they're so

> corporationy.."

Haha, Brand could quite easily replace Michael Moore in the scene where he runs in with a suicide vest on.

Despite Russell Brand being deeply annoying, I did find his interview with two members of the Westboro Baptist Church highly amusing, as he used humour to rip their ideas apart. Mind you, those people don't need any help in making their argument sink in shallow water.

Louisa.