E-petition re fireworks

Mustard

• 1 month later...

Despite taking the piss earlier, and strongly believing that calling for a ban on all public sales is a ridiculous idea, I am actually having sympathy with Mustard now.

If all of her reports of fireworks are accurate (no reason to believe they're not), then someone near her gaff is taking the piss.

When I was a kid we used to collect newspaper and take it to the waste paper scrap yard and get

a couple of shillings or so and we went to the shop and bought Bangers.. and a couple of Canons (BIG Bangers)

and if we had enough money. Some times a 2 Shot Ariel Bomb Shell.

That's what kids did. And we built camps and had camp fires. Cos everywhere was still bombed out. 1950's.

So I can't complain about a few fireworks...

DulwichFox

Well the people of East Dulwich are going to love me when I am back in London in April!

I personally love fireworks so will be setting some off in April for Easter and for my Anniversary (surprisingly yes they may well be loud) I will also be setting some off in June and then in July for my birthday (because I can, mostly because I have some left over).

I never normally make noise, except a few nights a year were I enjoy doing something that is a hobby of mine (I have worked on professional firework displays, however the fireworks I will be using are all consumers so don't worry they shouldn't sound like 'bombs')

However, year round no matter where I am I have to deal with noisy neighbours, whether it be them shouting, playing loud music, dogs barking at all hours, yet I put up and ignore I don't try and ban incessant noises caused by those around.

Fireworks happen a few nights a year, if you have pets especially dogs and they bark year round (everyday) then maybe they should be banned for making too much noise? -_-

Also to Mustard, those fireworks you heard on NYE during the day may have actually been me...oops... I had to test the angle of the rocket sticks to ensure that the rockets weren't going to be a hazard, and if I had deemed that they would have been I would have pulled them from my display (which I ended up doing in the end as I didn't want to risk potential fallout damage to the houses opposite or the cars on the street).

Plus all those that find fireworks annoying, I'm sure there is probably something that you do that others find annoying.

Finally, in regards to any petition created (not by anyone here as pointed out in a previous post) the government wouldn't even consider a ban on fireworks, it would potentially be archaic if fireworks were banned. You would have members of the public creating homebrew fireworks (potentially extremely dangerous) or getting them from another European country such as Poland where they sell bangers and air bombs which I think would upset the noise police even more than a few fireworks making between 80-120 decibel, plus the revenue created for the government through the tax on fireworks is enough to convince them to allow it, plus fireworks have been a tradition in the UK for many years, I don't think even 50k people will change what many millions of people in the UK enjoy, especially as there is approximately 53 million people in England alone.

Apologies if this comes across as rude and perhaps ill written (was sort of rushed and it is an internet forum so I really cannot be bothered to go back over and proof read all I have written).

I would be interested in knowing what time residents of ED feel I should set my fireworks off in April to at least attempt to please the few who may not like fireworks (loud bangs) I will be informing my close neighbours (4 doors either side) and discussing when would be best as to not be too much of an inconvenience, even though legally I can let off fireworks all day excluding the hours of 11pm - 7am (If I remember correctly)

Only just realised how much I wrote O.o

If we were to ban everything that a few people find irritating then life would be a dull and awful thing.

A very few people are terrified of fireworks and I feel sorry for them but more people are terrified of spiders and rats and nobody has proposed banning those.

If you want to see firework insanity, go to Amsterdam on New Years Eve. Nieuwmarkt in particular. Dangerous, wonderful, bonkers fun. A square packed full of locals, tourists, the denizens of the RLD all letting off fireworks from their hands and great long bandoliers of fire-crackers around your feet. Berlin is similar but not quite as mad.

We in the UK are very restrained.

JackRCH, my concern is for pets who develop an extreme phobia to the noise and lights, it is distressing to see an animal in an extreme state of fear.

The pet can be kept inside, so the visual effects can be controlled. If the fireworks used are low noise that is also going to help. A few days notice allows the owner to get anti panic medication from the vet, but since it must be given a few hours before the event to be effective a clear timeframe for start and finish is also really helpful. That said, you'll appreciate these drugs are strong so you don't want to be giving them more than a few times a year.

Bear in mind some animals, for medical reasons, will not be able to tolerate these drugs at all, so every firework event close by induces a state of abject terror, the sort that causes non-stop shaking, vomiting, as well as loss of bowel control.

On my own account, I don't have a problem but would prefer to know when stuff is going to happen so I can prepare my animals. I do though object to being woken in the early hours by random bangs, or by someone who wants to celebrate an event by letting off a few bangers...the louder the better, it seems. I accept the right to have large organised firework events, professionally managed with plenty of notice to neighbours, but random stuff, any time someone fancies, no.

I completely agree with you first mate, there are some pets out there who do have a fear of loud noises i.e fireworks, thunder even a car back firing, also some animals are conditioned into being afraid as some owners are wary which unfortunately dogs especially pick up on this and relay the same emotions (fear).

I don't have the exact dates yet as I travel quite a bit and won't be back in London until March some time however I will be speaking to my closest neighbours especially those with pets and the lovely elderly couple a few doors down to forewarn them (although they will likely want to come over like on NYE)

I personally even on NYE or BFN/GFN wouldn't set fireworks off after 9pm the latest, I would be aiming for around 7-8pm as to not be too late but at least be slightly dark out.

I will be using low noise (unfortunately low noise is still noisy that is just uncontrollable) I don't want to be deemed antisocial or a nuisance.

I wouldn't dream of setting off fireworks randomly as and when I fancy, although in theory me choosing to set them off several times a year to me may be significant but to others random, the point is where do we draw the line?

The point is you clearly do recognise the potential downside to something you love and are prepared to take that into account, others do not.

I think nothing after 9 pm is good ( except New Year) and giving neighbours plenty of notice. I'm sure you'd agree that planning is vital around fireworks anyway, so plenty of notice should be a given.

I try to encourage pet owners to use desensitisation CD's for their pets, and advise them on how to act around animals that show mild anxiety, as you are right some owners can inadvertently increase anxiety by being overly anxious about their pet's anxiety. However, you may not be aware that some dogs are born with super- sensitivity to loud noises, especially the multiple frequencies of fireworks, so the problem is genetic and innate and these animals and their owners do suffer terribly around firework periods. If there is enough warning to get medication into the animal that can relieve some of the terrible fear but you'll never be able to desensitise that dog to firework noise, in the way you might with one that is fearful but does not have the super sensitive gene ( it's to do with a specific type of non- habituating neurone, if you are interested).

Thank you first mate, I wasn't aware that some dogs have a super sensitive gene. I honestly assumed some dogs just fear certain things not that there is a genuine medical explanation for some, not all, dogs noise sensitivity.

I wouldn't let fireworks off after 9pm even on NYE out of respect to my neighbours.

I would aim to give my neighbours at least 7 days notice (only because I am back at the end of March about a week before Easter. Planning is essential to ensure the safety of not only my audience but also the properties surrounding.

I will definitely be giving my neighbours a definitive time once I've decided on one to ensure those who medicate their dogs can, or those who have their dogs outside in the garden can get their dogs indoors (if they so please).

Is there any CD you recommend? If any neighbours would like one I would happily purchase and pay for those in order to attempt to ease any potential issues arising.

That's decent of you. There are a number of products out there. The key thing is that it takes time, sometimes a long time. Everyone should take the time to do it with pups. If the dog already has a problem then desensitisation work may need to be done with medication and probably best to do with a behaviourist.

Help-Ma-Boab Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You seem a thoroughly decent gent JackRCH, who

> considers others as well as having a good time for

> yourself and others. I'd vote for you...

Appreciate the kind words Help-Ma-Boab... :)