E-petition re fireworks

Mustard

• 3 weeks later...

So first post on this thread for three weeks.

I totally agree that those letting them off late at night this weekend need a slap, but is it really fair to be calling for a total ban rather than just addressing the idiots that have no consideration?

It wasn't me that started either of those petitions, but if it makes lawmakers look again at the current rules, which appear to be lax, then that's a good thing.

More were let off last night. It appears to be about the noise factor with a lot of them.

If you can think about how to address these idiots then do share!

• 2 weeks later...

So people complain when Fireworks are set off at night and then others

complain when they are set off during the day.

Having attended Carnival in Catalonia and other parts of Europe I can tell

you daytime Fireworks are very common.

Some of the biggest displays in the World are in the daytime.

One of the Worlds biggest:- Mathaf Opening of Cai Guo-Qiang: Saraab

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gzl47oXrdo

Google and you will find many more.

DulwichFox

Just signed both petitions. Really distressing night for my dog & toddler. Would like a ban to the public for private use and just keep them for public displays. We get the all year round not just Guy Fawkes & NYE anymore. It's just the really offensive loud bang ones that people now seem to be setting off, they sound like bombs and they're rubbish compared to the other quieter fireworks that are at least pretty to look at.

I was in a small town in Taiwan a few years ago and saw people casually pile up firecrackers in the street and then set light to them. It was just outside a busy cafe, with cars parked on both sides of the road, in the middle of the afternoon. No one turned a hair (except me, the only westerner present). In Amsterdam at New Year I've had firecrackers thrown at me while cycling as snow was falling, and narrowly avoided rockets that people were letting off in the street.

While I'm not a fan of the noisy kind of firework and I'd be in favour of a noise limit, it's actually pretty under control here when you compare with other places.

Well obviously not all year round in the sense of everyday if that's what you mean? Actually I'm not sure what you mean or why you are picking me up on it. I said all year round as in several times a year, throughout the year, does it matter anyway! It's bloody annoying regardless of how often it is.