Are there any academics on the EDF?

Davis

missteak Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Academics are @#$%& on the whole. No-one ever learned anything from books ever

Well, you seem to be walking proof of that.

Next time you get a prescription filled, use the internet, use anything made of plastic, use a microwave, play a DVD, use a mobile phone, etc, etc, don't forget to curse all those academic barstewards that made all that possible.

missteak Wrote:

'Academics are @#$%& on the whole'.

@#$%& this could be any 5 letter word but I assume you mean something derogatory possibly a plural of a word which rhymes with 'Jeremy Hunt'. It is possible you reached this conclusion based on a number of quantitative research findings but I think it is more likely this view is based on your very limited view of the world.

I can't speculate on the majority of academics but there are few which fall into your category as they have aided mass murder such as Bernard Lewis. Also academics do play a role in legitimizing government policies however corrupt. But there are also academics who stand up to corruption and oppression.

missteak Wrote:

'No-one ever learned anything from books ever'

Never ever?

uncleglen wrote:

'And you learn even less from the telly- and the OP watches telly so cannot be a true academic (unless doing a PhD in some sort of media thing about the telly counts as academia)'

Both can be equally harmful but you are more likely to find truths in books than the TV (under the current order).

Davis Wrote:

> missteak Wrote:

>

> 'Academics are @#$%& on the whole'.

>

>

>

> @#$%& this could be any 5 letter word but I assume

> you mean something derogatory possibly a plural of

> a word which rhymes with 'Jeremy Hunt'. It is

> possible you reached this conclusion based on a

> number of quantitative research findings but I

> think it is more likely this view is based on your

> very limited view of the world.

Surely you mean Mike Hunt?

>

> I can't speculate on the majority of academics but

> there are few which fall into your category as

> they have aided mass murder such as Bernard Lewis.

> Also academics do play a role in legitimizing

> government policies however corrupt. But there are

> also academics who stand up to corruption and

> oppression.

>

> missteak Wrote:

>

> 'No-one ever learned anything from books ever'

>

> Never ever?

>

> uncleglen wrote:

>

> 'And you learn even less from the telly- and the

> OP watches telly so cannot be a true academic

> (unless doing a PhD in some sort of media thing

> about the telly counts as academia)'

>

> Both can be equally harmful but you are more

> likely to find truths in books than the TV (under

> the current order).

Eroguronansensu Wrote:

'Surely you mean Mike Hunt?'

No. The name Jeremy Hunt (Secretary of State for Health) has now become synonymous with Mike Hunt.

Also just an observation in regards to missteak, just after creating his/her account he/she started posting negative replies to my posts, strange.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> For someone registered today you seem very

> familiar with the forum.

Quite a few newbies seem very familiar with the forum.

I've said it before and will say it again. I'm really happy to welcome new members but as far as the re-incarnated ones are concerned, I can't even be bothered to respond to their posts anymore.

Alan Medic Wrote:

> For someone registered today you seem very

> familiar with the forum.

To be fair, all local forums have the same roster of chrachters - artifice or not - a cursary skim can identify the habitual strawmen foistererers, wiki blusterers and right\left polemicists . its the Richard Branson approach - try everything and see which ones provide the most return for effort input. I am not a troll , but that is hardly going to inspire any confidence is it ?

missteak Wrote: 'Thses boffins with letters after there names should try a real job sometime. No one never learned nothing from no teacher'

What is a real job according to you?

Also where should people gain knowledge if not from a teacher?

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

'This thread is turning into battle of the trolls. For all I know you could even be the same person'.

I will no longer respond to posts by missteak as I feel it is pointless. Surely the forum moderator can check the different users IP address and identify who is who.

Robert Poste's Child, I came to this forum in the hope of having a number of good discussions but I am beginning to feel this may be unachievable. In short I feel I have received quite a hostile response from established users as well as new ones.

Which Meaning of Academic are we relating to here. ?

1. Relating to institutionalized education and scholarship, especially at a college or university.

2. Relating to studies that rely on reading and involve abstract thought rather than being primarily practical or technical.

3. Having little practical use or value, as by being overly detailed, unengaging, or theoretical.

4. Having no important consequence or relevancy:

DulwichFox