Franco Manca: are they serious??!!

ernesto Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> indeed, but as you say, it is a transaction

> involving 2 people. both have to play the game. I

> would not want to deal with the patronsing vermin

> who often frequent the vibrant LL.

Wow you are bitter! For your own sanity you should probably move away from the area so you don't have to deal with the "patronising vermin" on LL.

Ron70

You have no idea what you're talking about. FM is the best pizza available in London and that's that. I've had about 17 pizzas from them since they opened, the staff are unfailingly lovely and many of them even speak Italian. (by the way, the dough is supposed to be chewy.. that's what a sourdough pizza is like.)

If you want rubbish, go to Pizza Express.. or if you're after tasteless rubbish, Dominos. Both will cost you twice as much and be made of stuff I would barely classify as food.

Cyclemonkey Wrote:

> Well maybe. However casual is not the same as

> cheap and cheerful in that way - if you read the

> menu they out a lot of store by local sourcing and

> quality ingredients. The wine is an organic wine

> from the Piedmont region and the notes say it is a

> lot less fruity that people would normally expect

> a red from the region to be.

I've had both whites, and they were certainly "different", but I enjoyed them both.

Looking forward to trying the red.

I think it's great that FM aren't just playing safe with crap cheap wine.

They explain quite fully why the wine will not taste the same as "ordinary" wine on the menu, so I'm not sure why some people would order it if they didn't want to risk not liking it?

I've had 3 pizzas here so far...the first was late weeknight quiet restaurant and the pizza was AMAZING. Doughy, chewy, generous toppings.

The second was on a friday eveing, super busy, sat next to the freezing cold door with other customers butts in my face regularly. The pizza wasn't as good, couple of overly charred bits and a bit thinner than before.

The 3rd time was late night weekday takeaway, the base was better than the second time, not as good as the first and the toppings were arranged in concentric circles from the middle - not that much of it. No burnt bits tho.

Service on all occassions was good, the second super busy day not being so great but we were apologised to for the pain in the ass table and cold draft - they were struggling but genuinely trying to do their best.

The wine I had was a bit dodgy but it was ?2.80 so meh. The pizzas (all the same toppings btw) were all great for ?7, its just sometimes they were better than others - I think it really is a case where the chef cooking that day makes a considerable difference to the pizza. Which is sort of bad for consistency but great in that they are actually artizan and individually made.

DulwichFox Wrote:

> Anyone have Pizza is unlikely to spend ?20.00 + on

> a bottle of Wine.

>

> Let alone buy a decent wine. ?? What would be

> the point.

>

> DulwichFox

There is ALWAYS a point in drinking decent wine. I haven't been to the LL Franco Manca yet. Am now intrigued.

FJDGoose Wrote:

> How can you compare franco manca with McDonalds

> foxy?

FM is hardly the type of place you would take someone on a first date to impress them..

Its all about Queue -- sit down -- eat -- pay -- get out. Someone needs the table.

Sort of place you go if you've got a train to catch.

Im not really knocking Franco Manca. I said from the beginning it was the best Make-Over in recent years

on Lordship Lane. I think its reasonably priced, That fits in with the fast food chain market.

Just not for me.

Foxy

we have never been short of italian food in the area , so why is everyone rushing to defend with their lives what is a cheese on toast emporium - like we have been blessed with good fortune by its arrival ?

its unhealthy fast food, Mcdonalds with a liquor licence.

ernesto Wrote:

> we have never been short of italian food in the

> area , so why is everyone rushing to defend with

> their lives what is a cheese on toast emporium -

its unhealthy fast food, Mcdonalds with a liquor

> licence.

No it isnt

FJDGoose Wrote:

> ernesto Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > we have never been short of italian food in the

> > area , so why is everyone rushing to defend with

> > their lives what is a cheese on toast emporium

> -

> its unhealthy fast food, Mcdonalds with a liquor

> > licence.

>

> No it isnt

yes it is

What a good meal friends and I just had at Franco Manca! The pizzas were good, the wine went well with the pizzas, we waited only a quarter-hour to be seated... a lovely late lunch.

Maybe better pizza is available in East Dulwich. What we had today, however, was good enough.

ernesto Wrote:

> FJDGoose Wrote:

> -----

> > ernesto Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > we have never been short of italian food in

> the

> > > area , so why is everyone rushing to defend

> with

> > > their lives what is a cheese on toast

> emporium

> > -

> > its unhealthy fast food, Mcdonalds with a

> liquor

> > > licence.

> >

> > No it isnt

>

> yes it is

Since when have McDonald's served pizza? Decent pizza at that, too (my opinion and the opinion of plenty of others, hence why FM is so busy all of the time). Your reference to cheese on toast is a little bit pathetic to be honest.

It's a nice place and the pizzas are interesting but somehow a bit underwhelming in my view. It is incredibly cheap though. The pizzas are definitley tabstier and more generous at Il Mirto and my teenage kids agree. But I hope both places continue to thrive.

It's all hype. Shiny low brow chain arrives with a remarkable makeover on a previously unattractive unremarkable building. They serve up a carb filled, sourdough (trendy) snack and charge less for it than other chains. Everyone then sings their praises like they are the saviour of this food type. IMO I like a restaurant where you can sit down and not feel rushed after waiting a quarter of an hour for a table. Have a half decent wine menu with proper wine glasses to boot(not tumblers). It's all part of the experience. As much as I'm not a fan of this food type, I think I'd prefer to use somewhere that isn't all about the hype and more about the food.

Louisa.