What the hell is going on on Barry Road? (shooting)

TonyQuinn

TonyQuinn and Mittens, look at the first two posts on this thread! They're having a pop at SE22, the third is re SE15! Get down off your class war horses please. Next you'll be making excuses for the shooting and blaming social economics. Yes it's sad that someone has died as a result of gun crime and shocking that it's on our doorsteps (btw I'm SE15).

Gun's and gun crime are sadly on the increase. When it happens on your door step it brings it ever more into focus. The person who has been brutally slain has a family, friends and possibly children. My thoughts are with them.

To the people who did this, Justice will be done, you will be caught.

I think the point to be made here is that we are always shocked and appalled when tragic things are brought sed close to home but we must not pretend to ourselves that ED has a white pickett fence around it through which gun crime cannot penetrate. Quite opposed to being on a war horse bossboss, I don't think SE15 is a bad place and I don't think it should be so deprecated on the forum as the horrid neighbor of SE22. Moreover, I think that, interestingly, give the event occurred so close to the SE22/SE15 divide, it makes us question what difference it makes that it happened on Barry road or on Peckham rye....

....less shocking? perhaps, at a push but, worse, is it being somehow implied that it would be less worrying?

Crikey, on the Brockley one, I nearly went down Brockill Crescent late yesterday afternoon - knifing happened at 5-ish yesterday - as I'd been to Sid's Plumbing to buy some radiator valves. But I looked at the map and couldn't be arsed to walk up to Brockley BR and then down the other side, and there's no other way to cross the railway, so I went south instead.

And now this one today, two streets away from me.

In each case, it looks like an individual was targeted.

I remember someone being 'executed' outside the Peckam Rye Hotel in 1994 as he left at 2am in the morning....we're in London. The difference then was that he was 40s and white and the inference was that it was gangland....maybe this was too..although the modern version

Tragic and awful but not just a recent thing

andymat Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Statistically you're more likely to be hit by a

> bus.

As I understand it, around 5 people are injured by bendy buses each month, and around 2 people by non-bendy buses. Making perhaps 7-8 total per month, or 84-96 per year. (Those are the last figures I have, from 2007, from TfL via the LibDems).

Around 155 people are murdered each year in London (according to the Met website).

andymat, where do you get your data from?

This is a very sad event and a piercing indictment modern social tendencies in London. I think we are all right to be in shock if the unfortunate individual is an innocent / random victim, but as most of us suspect the victim in all probability was to a lesser or greater extent connected to the London underworld.

That is not to say that sympathy for the victim and any possible innocent family members is not the correct emotion, but surprise that this has happened certainly is.

Short of resident vetting, check points and some form of barrier there is no way of preventing this sort of thing in ED or anywhere else.

FrustratedLawyer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Short of resident vetting, check points and some

> form of barrier there is no way of preventing this

> sort of thing in ED or anywhere else.

I think you're on to something there! Put a big fence around ED and keep it safe I say.