-------------------------------------------------------

> I'm 55 years old and if my beloved mum was still

> alive no doubt shed help me out if a mishap

> involved me needing to make a sudden expensive

> outlay.

> I don't see anything wrong with that.

> If I had an adult offspring I would be more than

> happy to give them cash.

Sounds about right - my parents have helped me out as a man in my 30's 40's and I expect to be passing it on..

Louisa - I'd probably agree with you over youngsters expecting support from parents,taking it for granted and leeching as you put it, but if I want to support my kids in a way I see fit, and my parents want to help me out, all give rather than take btw, then good luck to me, them, and anyone else involved. Isn't that what families and friends do for each other?

I do wonder if Louisa has lived on both sides of the parent / child divide. Each of us will have been a child. Not all of us will have been parents. Easier to recommend that someone practise tough-love than to practise it oneself, I suspect.

As I moved into my twenties my parents hovered, and clucked, and attempted over and over again to put in their oar... and however bothersome that all seemed at the time, I do very much wish that they were still here to pester me. It was love.

I think my Dad would turn in his grave if he knew I was still at home in my mid-thirties without a bloody good reason / very particular extenuating circumstances. Note - 'saving up' and 'it's so hard out there for young people' do not qualify as bloody good reasons some fifteen years after you've come of age. Fortunately, I wasn't. And he wouldn't know anyway, on account of being dead. But you get the idea.

There's a sensible mid-point in between 'I've done my bit, you're 18, on your own and out' and missing out on a decade or so of formative life experiences while you try to make your own way however you can - even if you do accept a bit of help or end-up back with the folks for periods along the way.

But you should at least TRY goddammit.

That's the trouble *Bob* there's always an excuse in today's society. For one reason or another, someone in there late 20s or early 30s can fall back on the 'house price card' or the 'money card' or any 'excuse not to leave home and stand on my own two feet card'. Excuses, plain and simple, and it's undignified for both the offspring and the parent to play along with this game.

Louisa.

The "house price card" is not really just a card though is it? If you're paying London rents (even sharing with others), it's going to take a hell of a long time to save a deposit.

Don't get me wrong, I'm basically with *bob*, and couldn't wait to get out of my parent;s at 18, and was horrified at having to move back for a few months aged about 25 (although it was fine really). I guess the point is that you have no idea what people's individual circumstances are, so you shouldn't judge too quickly.

That all said, if you are an adult living with your parents you do need to remember that you're an adult and not allow yourself to revert back to your teens and expect everything to be done / paid for, for you.

Ah yes thanks ~Otta . Absolutely right I did say "poor fox" don't see any connection with my daughter dropping her phone down the loo.

I am truly amazed by the reaction to my post. I just expected someone to say "oh yes I have done that" quite an eye-opener and I will think before I ever post again.xx

Don't be put off, just remember that some people think because it's the internet and not "real life" that they can just say exactly what they want without applying the tact and manners that they would if talking face to face.

Either that or they're just exceptionally rude people, OR they lack the capacity to see how their. comments will affect others.

ok Louisa I admit I did take the adverse comments to heart, things just didn't pan out as I expected. Yes it did all go a bit "pear shaped" but maybe some enjoyment was had even if it was at my expense. I don't regret anything regarding my actions .

Never mind, onwards and upwards! You parent however you choose, it's none of my business. Or anyone else's business. We've all dropped something precious down the lav. A little pocket sized keep sake of mine was lost a few years ago to the big water. Despite a lengthy drying period and new batteries, it's not been the same since :(

Louisa.