Bus Route 12 to get Boris Buses

It was funded from the rail services budget, despite the fact that many argued that it was actually a tourist attraction and not a viable piece of transport infrastructure. Current figures bear out this claim - indicating that there are zero regular commuters using the 'dangleway' (and actually very few tourists). This sums it up: http://853blog.com/2014/12/16/emirates-air-line-cable-car-now-has-no-regular-commuters/

Boris is doing the same with the Garden Bridge - funding another vanity project by raiding the transport budget. It's pretty out of order in my view, but he seems to be able to do these things with impunity.

It would seem that with Boris branding it a jump on/off bus that it was never meant for long journeys.

ie. Dulwich to West end..

I have yet to travel on one but as I seldom travel on public transport preferring to walk on short journeys

they may well be scrapped before I get around to it.

I actually liked the Bendy Busses as when I was still working I always managed to get a seat.

DulwichFox

If I had my choice Boris would reinstate the original routemasters but that can't happen so I suspect there is no point whinging about the new ones as the opinions of people on here are not going to change the decisions made by tfl.

Lol feels like the Luddites when the first weaving machines were introduced, what next? cries of "burn the evil machines" as residents of East Dulwich village march on camberwell bus garage with pitchforks in hand?

JohnL - That's why there should be a ban on food and drink on all public transport. (Someone on the Bakerloo line took out a Big Mac and ketchup the other day! I asked him whether he thought that was a good idea on a crowded, already warm and unventilated train and he looked sheepish but carried on. I moved.)

• 4 months later...
Does anyone know whether we will ever be rid of these buses? I caught one from Oxford Circus today and it was stifling hot, I got back pain from sitting in the impossibly uncomfortable seats, and from what I can see, very few people tapped in so tfl must be losing as much money as they did with the bendy buses. It was a relief to get on a 40 at Medlar Street

I used to frequently use the 12 bus, but now avoid it as much as possible since the new buses came in - one of my kids ended up travel sick when sitting upstairs due to the heat (she's never been sick before on buses/cars etc), and I find it really overwhelming and almost claustrophobic in the routemaster. It's ok for a short trip to Peckham, but horrible if you have to go any further.

What I find aggravating is that they were supposed to have conductors, be air conditioned and allow hop on hop off from the rear platform. I haven't been on one that has a conductor, the air conditioning never seems to work - and you can't open the windows - and the rear doors are always firmly shut. In fact the drivers tend not to open the rear door at all, even when passengers want to get off. When they do open it, there is now an announcement telling you to move away from the door because it sweeps across the platform.

Nigello Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Someone tole me there was an article in The Times

> (which I do not subscribe to) that all the Boris

> buses in service will have no conductors. Would

> love to know what Heatherwick, the man behind the

> design, things of that.

> http://www.valshawcross.com may be able to help

> anyone who wants to complain about the buses or

> offer suggestions.

Yep. Heard this too. So the 'hop on, hop off' feature will be completely removed. What is left is an extremely expensive folly / vanity project.

I'm really surprised no one's mentioned the horrible noise of the engine or air con or whatever it is that comes on. I really feel sorry for anyone who has to endure it every day going to work. I only travel now & again & it dose my head in. I think I'd much rather prefer no air con (which doesn't work anyway) & have windows that open instead & no noise pollution!

• 2 weeks later...

Bic Basher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rahrahrah Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Exactly how much have these ridiculous vanity

> > buses cost us now? Boris should be held to

> account

> > for once the bumbling tw*t.

>

> It's going to cost London taxpayers ?2m to replace

> the windows.

Seriously how much would it be to install proper air-con? I was in Hong Kong in 1994 where the buses had sealed windows and ice-cold air-con in tropical conditions.