David Bowie...

????

Bowieday - What a day. It was like a sort of mass public mid-life crisis.

One suspects he could have mic'd-up a bucket and shat into it from the top of step ladder - to the same universal acclaim. And why not eh? As Jezthro says - He's earned it.

*Bob* Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Bowieday - What a day. It was like a sort of mass

> public mid-life crisis.

>

> One suspects he could have mic'd-up a bucket and

> shat into it from the top of step ladder - to the

> same universal acclaim. And why not eh? As Jezthro

> says - He's earned it.

More a case of,'Thank god it wssn't shit,' I think

ElPibe Wrote

-------------------------------------------

Any and all of Bowie's achievements and kudos were wiped off the face of the earth by Dancing in the Street I'm afraid.

To be fair that was a charity song he did with old Mickey,and how many pop stars have lasted the distance and are respected. I am looking forwared to see his exhibition at the V & A in February

Ted Max Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Do you like the song, *Bob*?

tbh I find these things (musical icon releases new stuff late in life) really hard to judge. I'm at 'It's alright!' (with and exclamation mark - as opposed to 'it's alright', with a shrug). I think steveo is right - hence the EM.

Will I be reaching for this over those old faves? Doubtful. But then that's the power of familiarity for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

and something for the coffee table...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419B%2BSJrMJL._SL500_AA300_.jpgDavid Bowie Is [Hardcover] - Publication 23/03/13

David Bowie is a pioneering artist and performer whose career has spanned nearly 50 years and brought him international acclaim. He has sold over 140 million albums, and been cited as a major influence on contemporary artists and designers working across the creative arts. This is the first book produced with access to the David Bowie archive of performance costume, ephemera and original artwork by the artist, which is brought together to present a completely new perspective on his creative work and collaborations. The book traces his career from its beginnings in London, through the breakthroughs of Space Oddity and Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars, and on to his impact on the larger international tradition of twentieth-century avant-garde art. Essays by V&A curators on Bowie's London, image, and influence on the fashion world, are complemented by Christopher Frayling, Mark Kermode and Philip Hoare on film; Howard Goodall on musicology; Camille Paglia on gender and decadence; and Jon Savage on Bowie's relationship with William Burroughs and his fans.

have a look on metacritic to get the gist - sitting at 94/100 at the moment

http://www.metacritic.com/music/the-next-day/david-bowie

As *bob* has pointed out, a lot of this is middle-aged guys going nuts after a 10 year absence

But picking up on people who heard it early via tweets and such , expectations were high. Suspiciously so

I don't love the last album reality (it's fine enough), but like the one before, Heathen, a lot (6.5/10 and 8/10 respectively)

so with all of that taken into consideration - I'm pretty much blow away by this. Doubt Bowie-agnostics will care one way or another but I can't imagine Bowie fans with a predeliction for his 76-80 phase won't be mightily impressed

Throw in the last 2 songs (a cross between Rock and Roll Suicide and balld from Young Americans, and a very odd late-period Scott Walker sounding finale) and I can't stop pressing repeat at work

Ironically, just after i posted I saw a pretty enthusiastic Facebook post on it from a mate of mine whose judgement I trust (but, to *Bob*'s point, he does fall into the middle-aged bloke going nuts category!). I am excited too! but will have to wait a bit.

Coincidentally and totally randomly, I learnt today that Luther Vandross had a major role in Young Americans and Fascination was a co-written 'version' of Luther's own Funky Music...there you go, ('spect SJ was well aware of this tho)