Bellenden Road - just picking up or closing down?

Hi

to answer that, just be aware that the council is no longer willing to pick up the bins on that street but is subcontracting the job to private companies, which explains why people rubbish can be piled on the available business bins around;

I find that crazy too, as i am paying for the service and regularly find my bin filled by others.

isabelle

Melange

I've lived in the area for getting on 13 years now and seen it change (the increasing skips on the street being the main indicator). My number one for a new shop would be a turkish style grocer. Lots of fresh fruit, veg, herbs, bread, olives etc. But ED it ain't round here. For a few months last year, Eostre tried an organic veg stall on Saturday mornings. I thought they were pretty good value, but they stopped trading, despite only having to turn over ?500 of sales to make it viable. This area's social mix is vastly different to ED's - long may it remain so. After all we have the luxury of the world food market on Rye Lane and the delis of LL. I for one hope the Peckham Plan doesn't attempt to 'mall' Rye Lane.

northlondoner Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Was strolling around the Bellenden area for the

> first time in ages and noticed several agreeable

> looking shop fronts - a cholatier, wholefood shop

> etc. Nice villagey vibe - even better, dare I

> suggest, than that in ED. Only trouble was, none

> of these shops were actually open. Ok it was

> around 5pm - but still! Couldnt work out whether

> they were new businesses on the verge of opening

> for trade or established businesses foundering on

> the rocks of recession. My question is, is

> Bellenden just taking off , or just about to

> crash?

Hi Northlondoner

When I recently asked if one of the shops on Bellenden Road had closed down as I could never find it open I got pilloried and insulted for daring to ask!

The situation is obviously still the same. Why would people venture to shop there when they can never be sure to find the shops open. Surely like you, the visiting Northlondoner, a business needs more than just the passing trade of locals lucky enough to chance upon the shops being open, especially in this market climate. How can they survive ?

hi

At fenton walsh (the clothes boutique) we are open 7 days a week every week excluding easter sunday, christmas day, boxing day and new years day.

monday, tues and weds 10 - 5.30

thurs and fri 10 - 7.00

sat 10 - 6

sun 11 - 4

And I know alot of the other businesses do simaler hours, so it is worth coming down to bellenden road and to support your local shops in this tough climate.

Hi CF

With those hours I am sure you do well !

But I, like Northlondoner, have found a lot of the shops on your road have sporadic and variable opening hours and customers who want to suport them are unable to do so with this ad hoc timetable of opening, free spirited as it may be! Its simply not worth the trip if you are not local to find shops that have not bothered to open on any given day.

I'm sure that when My Girlfriend and myself move to bellenden rd in the next few weeks , you will find her in your shop far too often for my liking. ( do you take visa? will prob be her first question)

Only Kidding , We are looking foward to becoming part of the "Bellenden" community

cheers

Phil

Ooh good. Maybe my dream of living off Lordship Lane will be realised.

Anyone know what's happening with the Bellenden Brasserie building? It's had a long steady decline, despite its excellent position, and now seems to be closed most of the time.

Because simply that's how Peckham High Street gets its clear african resonance to it. I like African food and I like knowing that I will get the best african food in an african street. Brick Lane is a good example of it, or Soho in central London.

archic Wrote:

> My point is that if you are looking for African

> food,Peckham High Street would be a much better

> setting for it.

Here we go again. So Bellenden road is OK for your office (not that this road is known for its architechs) but noo noo not an African restaurant. I thought we liked cultural diversity? But presumably the French restaurant is OK ?

Here we go again what? my office is basically going to be one my bedrooms converted into an office, and that;s hardly going to impact on the street is it???

I'm all for cultural diversity and If I wasn't I wouldn't come to Peckham.

If it was my business, I would have had a chosen a different spot and rather go where it's best.

And as I said earlier, what Bellenden Road lacks in is a sort of a moody Lounge bar, where you could comfortably stop in for a read, get a delicious capuccino or glass of natural wine, a summer salad at lunchtime, a jazz note etc...

You have your views, I have mine.

archic Wrote:

> Because simply that's how Peckham High Street gets

> its clear african resonance to it. I like African

> food and I like knowing that I will get the best

> african food in an african street. Brick Lane is a

> good example of it, or Soho in central London.

Oh so now Peckham High Street is an 'African street'! When did that happen. So what is Bellenden Road then ?? A white middle class road in need of a jazz club. Surely that would, by your theory, be better off in Wardour street. We need more cultural diversity and not less and certainly dont need streets named for their ethnic populations roots. Otherwise what sort of road would Bellenden be called ? Im sure the owners of the African restaurant could think of one.