Bellenden Road - just picking up or closing down?

Well Yes, Peckham is well known for its afro caribean great variety of shops and cafes. I am sure you were aware of this particular side of Peckham.

I don't know what Bellenden would be called But I still hope for my cool bar :)

Anyway, we don't agree. Nevermind.

Long life to Jazz!

dulwichdoll Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> archic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Because simply that's how Peckham High Street

> gets

> > its clear african resonance to it. I like

> African

> > food and I like knowing that I will get the

> best

> > african food in an african street. Brick Lane is

> a

> > good example of it, or Soho in central London.

>

>

> Oh so now Peckham High Street is an 'African

> street'! When did that happen. So what is

> Bellenden Road then ?? A white middle class road

> in need of a jazz club. Surely that would, by

> your theory, be better off in Wardour street. We

> need more cultural diversity and not less and

> certainly dont need streets named for their ethnic

> populations roots. Otherwise what sort of road

> would Bellenden be called ? Im sure the owners of

> the African restaurant could think of one.

I'm close to printing this thread out and framing it.

Forgive me if I'm wrong but on Peckham High Street I can think of shops with African, Carribean, Pakistani, Bangladeshi, British and Chinese proprietors, and I'm sure I've missed a good few more off.

Calling it an 'African Street' serves only to highlight your own ignorance.

Because simply that's how Peckham High Street

> gets

> > its clear african resonance to it. I like

> African

> > food and I like knowing that I will get the

> best

> > african food in an african street.

This is what you posted archic and I have also just read what you posted about McDs on that thread, with regards to smashing their windows and was appalled. I suggest readers of this thread cross reference what you have said on there as well.

This obviously goes a lot deeper and I for one find this absolutely the worse kind of posting and am amazed that it has not been taken off. Inciting criminal damage to a premises is a very serious offence. And why should this be done? Because you dont like their food......

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

> >

> Don't be afraid to use the "report this message"

> button if you find it so offensive DD. Admin can't

> pick up on everything immediately

don't we know it. some of you must hammer that button like circus seals.

archic Wrote:

> it was a joke !

> But of course now I'm a criminal! :)

A joke? I'm sure if someone from the press department of McD's saw this message they would not consider it to be a joke. Inciting criminal damage is an offence, please dont backtrack by claiming it was some sort of innocent banter.

I dont think I have ever reported anyone on here, although i'm sure i've had some hot under the collar private convos with a few hehe

Louisa.

This is a public forum. Have you not read the T and Cs.? And try making 'jokes' like that at an airport and I can assure you you will not get a smiley face at the end of it. Local businesses take such posts very seriously and rightly so. I am sure you would have taken grave offence had your business been spoken of in the same way ie smashing of your windows or being more suited to Peckham High St.

Louisa Wrote:

> archic Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > it was a joke !

> > But of course now I'm a criminal! :)

>

> A joke? I'm sure if someone from the press

> department of McD's saw this message they would

> not consider it to be a joke. Inciting criminal

> damage is an offence, please dont backtrack by

> claiming it was some sort of innocent banter.

>

> I dont think I have ever reported anyone on here,

> although i'm sure i've had some hot under the

> collar private convos with a few hehe

>

> Louisa.

Im with Louisa on this one. I haven't reported anyone either on the basis of just because it offends me thats not the point. However archic says he is a local businessman who has posted his address on the forum for an open day in June at his house. I think his comments re smashing windows and the placement of African restaurants are the absolute height of stupidity and if I were he I would delete the posts forthwith.

There is an african restaurant in Choumert Road and one within the arches of Peckham Rye Station so perhaps one in Bellenden Road wouldnt be able to compete. Blenheim Grove has the Sardinian, and Holly Grove the Ganapati, so these foods too are represented already. I loved the Peckham Experiment in its first incarnation. The food was lovely. Simple and delicious. There were jazz nights, the odd comedy/poeetry performance night. Then it bit off a bit more than it could chew with cocktails that there wasnt really a market for in the area and I think management became haphazard. But I miss it. I think its 'role' has now been fulfilled by Bar Story in Blenheim Grove so maybe it is uneconomic for it to return to those days.

So Bellenden rd and surrounding area mentioned in the papers yesterday.

didnt read it but have been told its quite positive

apparently "bellenden village" is the place to be buying.

if its a village , when is the village fair? , Is there one , should there be one , would anyone be interested in organising one.

also what else is required for a village to be a village

whats the differenece between a hamlet , a village , a suburb , a town ?

Too much time on my hands today I think.........................

I'm sorry if you felt offended by my ideas but we all have different views and they will not allways fit yours. Such is life and censorship would be even more "highly stupid" than my ideas.

And just to reassure you, nobody will smash any windows in Bellenden Road, but if you want to think so then call the police Dulwichdoll!

Keep your eyes open though for the 1st April window smashers demonstrations in central London: No joke there!

Good day.

The only people who call an inner-city area a 'village' are

a)estate agents

and

b)new arrivals from the Home Counties who've just parted with the best part of ?400,000 to live in the newly-designated 'village' area of an inner-city.

''April 1st window smashers demo in London ''? Now Im really worried..........not about dear old Bellenden Road it was here long before you or I, but what a strange post to make.

And should anyone forward on your incitement to other forumites to smash another business' windows, to the police, they would take it very seriously indeed. April Fools or not.

dulwichdoll - come on. I'm in agreement that it's not on to incite damage but even given that, the poster isn't really suggesting anythingof the sort. Ok they haven't apologised but it's clear they weren't serious

And references to next weeks predicted damages are coming from teh police themselves - again he/she 's not advocating it

Well of course, we should be worried. But you seem again to assume that I will responsible for it!! Just calm down a little. Have a cup of tea or something. Or read the papers. My post is not even that strange if you spend a little time reading posts regarding the event from the same people that have posted on this very thread. So you pick up posts that you want to select for your own purpose,demonstration or court case you want to create.

No further comment.

archic wrote

I hope Uk and little community villages like ED or Bellenden Village will be strong enough to refuse MACshit processed "food" and Starbucks's disgraceful coffee. Go to France or Italy and then come back to join me smash their windows up! Who needs sad american chain food in uk ???

This is what was posted Sean and I think it is irresponsible joking or not.