Bellenden Road - just picking up or closing down?

Yep _ i read it originally too DD and, for other reasons, rolled my eyes and wished it hadn't been posted. But in the overall context (complaining about dumbing down of food chain) I got the fact that they weren't joking. I expect you are correct that if you pass it along to the police they would take a dim view of it, but as I say in the context I "got it"

The fact that the same poster was also clumsy in another thread saying what they wanted int he old Peckham eXperiment locations seems to have really gotten under your skin and I can see why. But given archic's overall postings i would say they seem to have erred rather than been malicious

Christ, wish i'd not asked about the old Peckham Experiment now. I noticed it is now selling African food. Looks like a very temporary arrangement though. The building begs for someone to make a serious go of it.

As for a village fair. Watch this space people. The Friends of Warwick Gardens have funding for two events this year. On 19 April, a dog day on the Gardens, will see all manner of dog related fun (NB not dogging). Dog shows, free chipping, flag the pooh. You name it.

But even more exciting, in September, we will be running a big old community fair: music, stalls, fun, the works; all with a focus on creativity and the arts. PM me if you're interested in getting involved.

Peckhamgatecrasher Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Big Phil, no fair but an annual cake competition.

> Does that count?

it will do for me for a start . I am the cake making king ( in my own mind)

will gladly be interested in getting involved

banana cake with coffee for afternoon tea anyone???

Welcome BigPhil and anyone else new to the area. Yes, the area was in the free rag yesterday biggin up the area. Mostly about how house prices will go up (10-12%) due to the East London line extension - the quotes were by local estate agents though...

Whether technically its a village or not, it doesn't matter - Bellenden is on the whole a very friendly area where people know their neighbours and their local shopkeepers.

A good example of the community spirit was a week or so ago, someone had put up lost cat posters - not the usual kind, but that they had found a lost cat and was advertising the fact. I was impressed

I Still like the idea of Bellenden village. It's a very positive way of seeing Peckham and people who do not know the area would be quite surprised when you think that not too long ago at the start of bellenden Road next to the nasty Lidl shop a woman was killed.

If it has its free village fair, couldn't it be called Bellenden Village?

Jeremy Wrote:

> A road in Peckham with a couple of OK shops does not equate to a village.

Ha ha ha, absolutely spot on!!!

I love the use of the word "village" to describe places. Believe me Bellenden, you don't want it, just look at Blackheath!

archic Wrote:

> I Still like the idea of Bellenden village. It's a

> very positive way of seeing Peckham and people who

> do not know the area would be quite surprised when

> you think that not too long ago at the start of

> bellenden Road next to the nasty Lidl shop a woman

> was killed.

> If it has its free village fair, couldn't it be

> called Bellenden Village?

Archic calls it the nasty Lidl shop at the top of Bellenden road. Why ? He says the African restaurant that dares to be on Bellenden Rd is mis placed. Why? He says we should join him in attacking Mc Ds should they try to open locally. Why ? And then suggests a nice free village fair called Bellenden Village!!!

Well we know who wont be welcome in his little exclusive world dont we ! There is a very unpleasant name for people like archic and people like him taint the majority of inclusive warm and friendly people who live here.

whats the lidls like? we have one at the top of the high rd where I live now and its not too good , its quite a small shop so choice is limited. We have a big sainsburys close by so tend to use that more for regular groceries. No one has been stabbed at either as far as i know.

I like the Bellenden Lidls. There is another one on the Old Kent Road, as well as an Aldi.

There is a wonderful shop called Persopolis on Peckham High Street, a hop and skip from Lidl. Open until 10 pm. Full of lots of middle Eastern goodies and a good place to get spices and pulses.

On Sunday there is a Peckham Market outside the library. Good veg. stall with a farmer from Kent selling lovely eggs.

Lidl's bike gear is really cheap - worth popping in for that. They do multi-tools, lights and reflective stuff for about a third of the price it would be elsewhere.

You won't usually get everything you need in one swoop but for veg, cheese and booze you won't find anywhere cheaper - and it's v good quality.

• 2 weeks later...

Lived off Bellenden Road for 4 years until late 2006. Nice local feel with some great shops but there were always quite a few wannabe gangsters hanging around the streets. In particular a couple of very nasty scraps between teenage gangs (yoots coming over from New Cross/Deptford to fight locals) really stick in my mind. The bloke who ran my local corner shop got shot in the leg and there were at least 2 other fatal stabbings just off my street, all in the space of about 18 months.

Moved to Telegraph Hill and it feels a lot more chilled round these ends.