Shadowfax [an East Dulwich band]

Please get in touch with me directly if you would like to contribute to the film I'm making about Shadowfax, called "The Russians Are Coming", or maybe even call it the "The South City Rockers". TBC

Im looking at compiling the bands history in a filmed documentary, and would appreciate any contributions of a filmed interview, photos, film footage etc to do with any of their gigs, rehearsals or personal life that would help to tell the bands story.

Steve Overbury (Steve O) managed the band, and has already kindly filmed an interview, and I would love to hear from any family, friends or fans that were connected to the band back in the day. Please email me directly through the forum, or to my home address, [email protected] (if it displays ?)

I will be away on hols for 10 days and will get back in touch with you on my return,

Kind Regards

Keith Arnold

• 9 months later...
  • 2 years later...

"Touchmenudger" do I remember them, I used to live next door to Keith Shears the bass player, and new the other guys as they used to play nearly every Sunday in Keith's mum's house.

It used to save me some electric as I never had to turn my stereo on (LOL).

I even had a go at trying to sing for them, but unfortunately couldn't get anywhere near the mark to be any good.

Another little less known claim to fame for East dulwich, was Bon Scott of AC/DC who died in Overhill Road, which was just up the road from Keith's House and my place around the corner in Underhill Road.

Anyway, I remember Darryl, and had one of his ex-girlfriends staying with me who was called Leslie, and who used to go around with Lou, who at the time was going out with Pete, who always reminded me of Robert Plant / Roger Daltrey with his hair being a similar style, but I remember Phil even more as I knew his wife, Linda (Emma's Mum), I was even invited by Lin to Phil's funeral, quite an honour really as no-one else was allowed.

I did a little roadieing for Shadowfax when they were 1st starting out, as I used to work for a paint company and now and again got use of the van, if not, me and Martin used our little Bedford Beagle vans, to take the gear to the Newlands Tavern, which thanks to the internet I now find is called The Ivy House, we also used to go to The St. Germains on Brockley Rise, we all used to call it the St German's where Shadowfax used to play.

One time I drove the band to Barry Island in Wales, as at the time Shadowfax had a singer called Brian, and he arranged a gig there, I remember vaguely managing to drive them back to Brian's house after the gig, well over the limit on drink, and the next morning wondering how the hell we managed to get back.

Brian came down to London with a few of his mates and they all crashed around my house one night, making use of the armchairs, by putting them on end and making a sort of bed, surprising what can be done on the spur of the moment.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY RECORDINGS OF THE "SHADS" PLEASE UPLOAD THEM TO YOUTUBE, or, CONTACT ME or, [email protected]

Listen to both sides of the single here

Added bonus is that Churchie has uploaded his Shadowfax stuff and also some of the other bands music that he played with.

I have added a list of the singles below (somewhere), HAPPY LISTENING!

just checked out the youtube link, was amazed to also hear chris haggerty, another great ED guitarist of that time who has also sadly passed away.

another of the boys from that time Tony 'RED' Redmond who played in tennis shoes with nigel hine in the UPlands both of these now sadly passed too,and were friends of phil and churchie founded Think Floyd a tribute band

http://www.think-floyd.com/thinkfloyd/index.html

there really was a lot of musical talent in East Dulwich in the 80's, happy memories

I asked about this and have not received a reply although my PM has been read, so I assume that I can post these links.

SHADOWFAX TRACKS & URL's all the one's found so far,

Tony Church Uploads

Live at the Brecknock Camden 1984

Up An Up

Ballard of Buick Macain

Ten Out Of Ten

Ain't No Sunshine

Angels

Machine

Don't Gamble

Come On

The Roxy

Tush

On A Matter Peer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hihknos-2fs

Room 101 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1yPbi6LhyA

The Russians Are Coming https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEiWwPdGpYU

Calling the Shots https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LIHJ3cs3-o

What You Want Me To Do https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwfjHg4JgkY

Churchie has more of him playing with other bands, but as they are not Shadowfax if you want to listen to them

then go to Youtube and search for (there are other Tony Church's on Youtube hence the list below)

Subscribe to his channel (see two posts up) it doesn't cost anything!

Tony Church - Nice Tool (I have put the title of the song here as it will bring up more of Tony's channel)

Tony Church & Sahara

Tony Church & Dirty Deeds

Tony Church & Magix

Tony Church & Des O'limb

Tony Church & Spiv

Tony Church - Drums. Chris Haggerty - Guitar & Bass.

Tony Church & Stranded

That's all I can find there may be some others!!! "HAPPY LISTENING"

• 1 month later...
Wahey a thread about the old ED and it's gritty memories and not some 'angelic upstarts' moaning about noise, abusive hired helps or berating the saintly James Barber. I remember the old Mr Wilson when he ran the bike shop - cantakerous old soul that he was but with 30 year old prices on his parts and an attention to detail that had you going back for more. A mate of mine's dad a Mr Harrison worked for him for many years.

Mahogany Rush Steve Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Sorry bsand,

>

> I don't understand the message what has Mr. Wilson

> got to do with the band Shadowfax?

Apologies didn't know Wilson's is a school in Camberwell - in my haste mistook it for Wilson's the bike shop in Peckham !

Previous comments have referred to it.

"I was at Wilsons in Camberwell with Nigel Hine, sad to hear he committed suicide. I used to go to the Uplands and Palmerston (and also previoius to that the Magdela) and recall Shadowfax but cant remember seeing them play. I have seen Nigel play, was he in another local group called Tennis Shoes? Also does anyone know the surname of Darryl who also went to Wilsons?"

• 3 months later...

If anyone is still interested or has any more to add to this thread

Keith Arnold can also be found on Facebook, and from what I can make out would still be interested in any information.

If anyone has any old tapes they recorded of the band I would like to hear about them or indeed get copies, so that I can covert them to upload to Youtube and even Facebook..

I'm sure that Keith Arnold would also be interested.

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

• 1 year later...