The Official EDF Grand National thread

????

There was a grey a couple of years ago wasn't there...Suny Bay? Oops, he was second..sorry. How about Dessie, did he ever win?

Just googled it...the last grey to win was in 1961. If I owned Suny Bay I'd be spraying him bay right now.....

I fancy War of Attrition, and Comply or Die for a place. But it's down to luck on the day I guess!

Kells Wrote:

Just googled it...the last grey to win was in 1961.

Do you have to remind me?...My 2nd Grand National after seeing "Merryman The 2" win in 1960.

Remember it, as yesterday. REAL fences in those days before The PC/'elf 'n Safety mob arrived and told us that they knew whats best for us....:))

Spurs Won the Cup Final in that year which was my first!

One question! I feel I'm just embarking on lifes long journey and my 30-year-old G/f feels the same so where did the last 48 f+++ing years go?

My theory (which hasn't worked for a number of years) is always pick a ranked outsider (100:1 or greater) and put ?2 each way on it

Over 50 years one of them is bound to win and get your total stake back for the total period (it has happened before when most of the field fell) and it also has the added joy of pissing off a bookmaker when you go in to collect

but then again I don't gamble any more since I lost my house, car and cat in a wild drunken strip poker night :'(

I was perched on the sofa some years ago, just prior to the race when 'Arry Redknapp popped up to give some of his tips for the race on telly. Lady Mac was so convinced she opened up a betting account there and then!

And lost

Of course

Mine's a 14 year old Laphroig please moos. No ice either

It's not a lottery at all. It used to be more so, but the changes to the fences means that it has become more easy to pick.

For those interested here is the best way of whittling down:

4m4 is ultra long. Nothing carrying over 11 stone 1.

Nothing aged 7 or 12. Probably not 8 either.

Has to have a bit of ability. Has to have won a race worth 50k over 3miles at some point in its career. More than likely that year. Handicap rating of at least 136.

Nothing French

Nothing in headgear

Nothing running first time out this season

Don't use Cheltenham as a guide for form

Generally in the top ten starting prices.

I'll have a little look after the declarations.

Xena: Worried prince Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My theory (which hasn't worked for a number of

> years) is always pick a ranked outsider (100:1 or

> greater) and put ?2 each way on it

>

> Over 50 years one of them is bound to win and get

> your total stake back for the total period (it has

> happened before when most of the field fell) and

> it also has the added joy of pissing off a

> bookmaker when you go in to collect

>

> but then again I don't gamble any more since I

> lost my house, car and cat in a wild drunken strip

> poker night :'(

If a 100/1 horse won the bookie would not be pissed off. Quite the opposite.

Ruby Walsh has chosen to ride My Will for Paul Nicholls in the GN, the same combination as won so much money for so many people in the Gold Cup.

"Bookmakers Paddy Power immediately reacted by cutting My Will to 8-1 favouritism from 9s.

Spokesman Paddy Power said: "Last year's favourites went off at 7-1 and I confidently predict that My Will be shorter than that at the off.

"Ruby on board will attract all of his admirers and as I said two weeks ago, everyone knows a William or Bill."

Have looked at only a few and have backed BUTLERS CABIN at 10/1 - simply on the basis that it was doing well last year when it fell and has less weight this year. Also has Tony McCoy driving (for good or bad).

I usually do 5 horses but this year am just having this stab, so not hedging for once, just because after a successful Cheltenham I don't want to give much of it back. Hope I don't change my mind later in the week.

Good luck all.

Aaah yes, the Grand National.

My method - which I reckon is similar to that used by the vast majority of punters - trumps all the scientific methods relating to form, weight, age, etc.

It's quite logical really - just pick a few names that take your fancy and then pray that at least a few of them make it all the way around!

Earned me a tidy sum on Silver Birch at 33-1 a couple of years ago.

My picks so far this year:

Big Fella Thanks (I'm 6'4");

Silver Birch (Did the trick for me once before); and

Butlers Cabin (Probably Tony McCoy's pick, and he has to win it sometime right?)

And for a rank outsider, I'm drawn to Eurotrek for some reason - worth a shout at 100-1?

And lastly, make sure you always bet on number 5, whoever that may be!