dont like the eagles

keekybreeks

I guess the thing is there is stuff you are "expected" to like, i.e. it's widely accepted that it's quality stuff, but you just don't get it. So Who/Jam/Clash/Velvets/Springsteen/LedZep/Beatles could all fall into that category (even though I personally love some of those bands). Black Eyed Peas, Spandau Ballet, Coldplay... not so much.

Fugazi's definitely one for me. It seemed to be generally accepted in the rock/punk/indie/whatever scene that they were pure genius. But whenever I'd try to listen to one of their records I'd rarely manage to get past the first track.

numbers Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Jeremy, I'm not a kid yet I like the Black Eyed Peas I'll have you know!

That "time of my life" song caused me to lose all faith in humanity..

siousxiesue Wrote:

> Otta Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Bruce Springsteen.

> >

> > I've tried, I've really tried.

>

>

> I'm so with you there Otta!

A couple of years ago I got some free tickets to see him so the wife and I went. It was a lovely sunny day and it was great having a beer and singing along to some classics. After this I thought it was time for Bruce and I to bond, so I downloaded a load of his stuff. 9.5 times out of 10 a track comes on and gets skipped immediately. Can't put my finger on what the problem is, he's certainly not rubbish, but just doesn't really do it for me.

miga Wrote:

> It's very likely a kid (like me

> 20 years ago) has already absorbed second hand

> versions of all ideas such a band had to give.

I was thinking something similar about Led Zeppelin... by the time I'd really tried to listen to them I'd already been bombarded with Soundgarden, Rage Against The Machine, and all manner of stuff with heavy bluesy riffs. And the younger generation have all heard White Stripes, QOTSA... hard for old music to sound fresh and exciting I guess.

"His spiritual whining voice does my head in"

To be fair to the man, when interviewed not so very long ago he more or less said the stuff that annoys him about zep, on reflection, is his voice.

On the Alison Krauss album i think he's attempted a style of singing that doesn't involve making a sound at all, as if he's unmaking past transgressions.

Zep have some terrible lyrics, and all that mysognisitc stuff doesn't really wash these days, but again he did say that after his son died warbling on about squeezing my lemon just didn't make any sense to him any more.

They had a tune or two for sure, and they could certainly play....as long as it wsan't for more than three minutes a song...then it got annoying...

Captain Beefheart was excellent! as is some of Tom "Waites" lol - I don't like Frank Zappa though - I had a Mothers of Invention album when I was 17 and it annoyed me so much in the end that I threw it out my bedroom window.

B52s euuurggghhh !! NO !

Here you are Keekyfreak this is for you